• Page:

TOPIC: Do I really need primer?

Do I really need primer? 9 years 7 months ago #106003

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
It's way to cold out, -30 chill factor, but I'm in the process of sanding my project getting ready for a warm day. Question is if there is no body work on the hull or topside other than a new transom which is already primed do I need to shoot the whole boat with primer or can I wash and wipe down with solvent and shoot the color? Going to use rusto marine with hardener. Sanding with 220 grit.
Cal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Do I really need primer? 9 years 7 months ago #106009

cal it can be done as long as its sanded good for adhesion,but if it were me i would prime it all,imho,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Do I really need primer? 9 years 7 months ago #106010

Uneven base colors can telegraph thru finish coats w/out primer.

A high build primer may even help fill in any minor imperfections that haven't shown up yet.

I too would recommend shooting it all, including the freshly primed transom unless it's the same primer you're shooting on the rest..

Re:Do I really need primer? 9 years 7 months ago #106013

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
All the same high build primer I used on previous jobs. I'll just shoot a light coat on the whole thing for the adhesion and even coverage. There are areas where the PO did repair some minor nicks and gouges. You know how they do seem to turn up after you think a perfect paint job was laid. Odors on this stuff will send you to the moon or an early grave if you're not careful.
Attachments:

Re:Do I really need primer? 9 years 7 months ago #106014

jbcurt00 wrote:

Uneven base colors can telegraph thru finish coats w/out primer.

This is definitely true. I made the mistake of not using primer once, only once. The top coat doesn't cover as good as you think, especially any color in the red family.

Re:Do I really need primer? 9 years 7 months ago #106018

yep...I would also prime complete....primer will show any small pinholes in the gell that aren't obvious after sanding, and any other odd spots like spills from 49 years ago that might leave flat spots in the paint....just a good practice....john

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online