Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Engine decision original or kill my 74 Glastron

Engine decision original or kill my 74 Glastron 9 years 8 months ago #104768

My little Glastron has finally aged. The transom is weakening and hull is leaking more. It has a recently serviced Johnson 55 with electric trim. I can quickly remove steering, controls and engine and have My "Four Year Momma" Up and running.
Option two is use My 1959 Mercury mark. Pull start and should be serviced before use. If going that route I think I would have to stay the course and use original wheel and cable system.

My gut says get this project up and running. I can always go back to original.
So what are your thoughts?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:Engine decision original or kill my 74 Glastron 9 years 8 months ago #104784

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Depending on what you plan on doing with the boat I would lean toward the period correct Merc. IMHO classics with newer engines look like crap.If you don't plan on showing it and just want to fish with it then go with the "modern" engine.I would think a boat that beautiful would do some sort of shows.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Engine decision original or kill my 74 Glastron 9 years 8 months ago #104789

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Dave the Wave wrote:

My gut says get this project up and running. I can always go back to original.

Just my opinion Dave, but follow your gut instinct. (I've ignored that in the past, and end up regretting it every time.) Two boats and nothing on the water, or one boat freshly restored and ready to enjoy = no brainer to me! All due respect to the "period correct" motor guys, I understand that viewpoint as well.

The Playmaster is looking great buddy, very nice work! ;)

Mark

Re:Engine decision original or kill my 74 Glastron 9 years 8 months ago #104807

Four Year Momma looks better in pictures. Recently a dual cockpit polished aluminum 1950ish cruised by the dock. It had a 2014? out board on it. I realized as it silently cruised by that I noticed engine but looked enviously at the boat. True the 59 Mark looks fookin awesome but no starter or alternator makes using the way I intend more difficult. The thought of decommissioning our first boat is more difficult then re-powering our 59. I will paint Johnson to match.

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:Engine decision original or kill my 74 Glastron 9 years 8 months ago #104990

Well Dave, as much as I loved my '59 Fat Fifty Golden Jubilee Rude, I needed more power and I wanted to charge the battery as well so I went with the '67 80hp and stuffed it into a '62 housing. Closer to '60 the year of the Wagemaker and got what I wanted. Just something to think about.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online