Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 59 crosby

59 crosby 9 years 8 months ago #104702

I just picked up a 1959 Crosby 16' with title Trailer and 50 hp merc included fair condition and appears to be all original. Would this be something worth putting time and money in ? Its a unique looking boat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:59 crosby 9 years 8 months ago #104703

Pictures?

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:59 crosby 9 years 8 months ago #104704

Don't have a picture yet. Will have one soon

Re:59 crosby 9 years 8 months ago #104705

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Gary, I think if you have to ask you already answered your own question. If it's for yourself go for the rebuild.

Re:59 crosby 9 years 8 months ago #104771

• Onkyo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Do it for the love, not the money. I have a unique looking boat also. You never see them on the lake. So DO IT, and share it with others.

Re:59 crosby 9 years 8 months ago #104845

I got the Crosby home yesterday. It is actually a 59 Crosby ranger at is 18' The outboard says Murc 8 50 it is a 6 cyl. with twin carbs and twin coils I find it hard to believe its only 50 hp. I will have to find no's and look into that. Anyone have a picture of one ? She is missing some kind of rub rail Thank You Gary

Re:59 crosby 9 years 8 months ago #104847

850 is 85hp the 50's are 4 bangers

Re:59 crosby 9 years 8 months ago #104848

Thank You for the info. I had a feeling it was more then a 50hp. Boat and motor needs a lot of TLC but has potential. It is all there and has a title that's a good start I think.

Re:59 crosby 9 years 8 months ago #104909

Hi Again from Gary. Is there a Crosby group by chance. I am looking for some good pictures of a 59 Crosby ranger to see what mine is missing. Looks like everything is there but the steering wheel is wrong. Also missing what I call the rubbrail and some of the hand rail. If you have any picture please email them to me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Thank You Any info would be a grate help. Gary

Re:59 crosby 9 years 8 months ago #104914

Probably a re-wire, I have been fighting with my Merc 950 and almost had a fire when the choke solenoid stuck on and smoldered, had to use my new fire extinguisher on it for fear of loosing it. Think I will use a trailer harness and re-wire it, all the insulation is coming off and a new one is like $150 bucks, I'n not really building a restore, just want to have some fun, can always redo it later once I know it runs.

Re:59 crosby 9 years 8 months ago #104915

Re:59 crosby 9 years 8 months ago #104920

Thank You firstfibre I tried to post a picture but its to large. Here is a picture of my last project 68 Sea King with 45HP sea king power
Attachments:

Re:59 crosby 9 years 8 months ago #104923

Nice boat, this is my current project, a 1967 Wacanda husky, needs a bottom end or repair on the frozen 450 Merc and got some NOS 1963 bench seats for it until I can make the tuck-n-roll benches I want. Needs a windscreen too, so tempted to steal the one off my Pacific Mariner Lance but I just can't do it, love those glass windshields.
Attachments:

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #105830

Hi everyone Update on 59 Crosby I found it is a 59 18' ranger with a 62 85 hp merc. I have sad news. The guy I bought it from can not produce the titles She is all complete and a shame to part out but looks like I will have to. Sent a letter to last owner and got no response. Sad day in the naborhood :(

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #105831

What state are you in? If the boat was registered to you, could you get title in your state?

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #105833

I am in Ohio. In this state the boat has to be shown as abandon then has to go thought an auction process to obtain a title. This boat was sold from one guy to another but never transferred. then sold to me with the promise of title but he lost the signed title. I didn't pay much but I should have known when I picked it up and he said he would find and send title that it would lead to this. Just wish there was different rule for unwanted classic boats.

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #105836

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You can also register it in Wisconsin. Under 16' does not require a title, only registration. If you can provide a bill of sale and the numbers stamped on the boat there is no problem just state that the past registration was lost. Once it is registered in Wisconsin you can then transfer it to whatever state you are in after the WI registration expires in a few years. Go to Wisconsin DNR website for an online printout of the papers you would need. Over 16' and they will issue you a new title also.
Please to not destroy it.
Cal

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #105837

Exactly why I asked where ^^^

I think at 18ft the boat has to be SEEN by a Wisconsin DNR officer, but under that, it's an online form, $27+/-, and you'll get the registration pretty quick.

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #105839

Thank You for your info. I will look into it. I really want to restore and use it.

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #105840

BTW, is it REALLY 16ft long or is it 15ft 9in, or whatever? If it's 15ft 11in, list at the Wisconsin DNR site as 15ft 11in.

This is the registration site:

http://dnr.wi.gov/permits/registrationandtitling.html

And yes there is an option to list it as used & kept out of state in the registration process.

I just checked, and it is 16ft and over that needs to be seen, NOT 18ft.

Hope it's 15ft 11in and not actually 16ft. If it is 16ft, I might mis-measure it as 15ft 11in

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #105842

Unfortunately it is 18' over all. I got 17' 11 1/2" from bow point to transom serial tag plate is marked 18' There is no up to date hin.# just the OEM Serial

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #105847

Gary, I am in Ohio also. The Wisconsin registration is recognized here,I have used it. Also,do you have any friends in Va.? In resident of Va would call ,for example,the ohio dmv and get the name of the last registered owner. Then,a registered letter is sent to them. If returned,it is taken unopened to the Va.bmv and they will then issue a Va. title. then your friend can sell it to you and you are good to go. I have used this here in Ohio too. Skipp

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #105848

I don't know anyone in Va. but I am still checking on options. It is in out of the weather for now. I'll do more research.

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #106306

Sad to say but I found out the owner passed away in 2006. The Misses is still alive and told me she would not help me by getting a duplicate title for boat or motor. Wants nothing to do with it. In fact told me where to put it. I have decided to part it out unless someone happens to know where one is with paper work. Hate to do it this way. I will give it a bit more time but want to get started on a project soon.

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #106309

Hi Gary,

Sorry the PO's wife is a prick.
Read thru this... Keep it for six monthes, apply for the title search, Tell her she owes you the repair price (purchase price) and storage. Bet her tune changes ? (still may tell you where to stick it, but you can just smile) Duplicate titles are cheap. Send her the cash for a title, so title can get transfered.

Take all the pieces off in case abandonment backfires and she takes the boat back (but she'll have to pay storage), so all she gets is a hull. That way you're not out much.
If you have to do the auction bit. You ARE high bidder and repair costs, storage and what not.... just happens to be the price you..... I mean high bidder paid, that way State treasury get's nothing.

Worth a shot ?
watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/questions

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #106312

I am in between Cleveland and Youngstown Ohio. The boat was never in my name. The owner is deceased. The department of Watercraft said it would not be possible to get a title. There is a very large boat salvage yard it Michigan I am going to see if they by some small chance have one with a title. Thank you for response Also do you know if there is a Crosby boat group anywhere ? Gary

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #106323

Don't give up yet ?
Have you tried calling a different county and talk to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources there ?
You have to talk to multiple people. State laws are so specific, that sometimes they are vague, especially when old boats are concerned ! And one state workers interpretation is different than the next ?
And if boat titles are like car titles ? that didn't start till the early 70's. This boat may be pre-title ?
So you may call and the first question you ask is: What year did boat titling start ? If it was before titles, you may get somewhere ? So, ask around ? It's kind of like doctors. One will tell you, sorry you're dead, but a second opinion says take two of these and you'll be fine.
I know this was only a canoe but I showed up at the ODNR because the ID plate was so corroded that there was no visible hull number, I said the canoe was given to me. blah-blah-blah... BUT the registration numbers were on it. So they checked to see if it was stolen ? The ODNR officer said who had it registered last, said it was never reported stolen. he gave me a new Ohio hull tag, registered it and I was on my way.
Have you tried the historic tag route ? There may be an end around there ?

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #106450

I didn't give up yet. I may have found one with a title in Mich. At a boat salvage yard. Will know later this week. Thanks for all suggestions.

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #106451

You may be able, to call it home made and get away with it if the agent isn't, too bright.

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #106509

from an old post.....
I have spoken with The Ohio Division of Watercraft for my own situation before I made the purchase of a 50 year old boat,trailer,and motor. they assured me that as long as I had a bill of sale from the former owner that getting an Ohio title would not be a problem. The only thing is that you have to schedule an inspection at a ODW site so they can verify numbers. In my case my boat does not have a hull tag and they said that they would also like to see the last registration from the former owner. then they will issue me a new haul tag/number that would go on the transom. they also wanted to inspect the boat in its raw unrestored state. the whole point was to attempt to insure that the boat is not stolen, and nothing to do with its seaworthyness . I hope this helps. the trailer will go thru the bmv and should not be a problem. I'm still not sure about the motor.

That was last year. It all went off without a problem. Made the apointment with the odw the atemted to verify that it was not stolen. also the make model and established the actual length of the boat. I was also told bring as much information about the boat that i could find to assist them in identifying it. when that was done they gave it a new hin number. 2 tags one to go on the transom and the other to be hidden in another location (up to me). and gave me the paperwork to take to the title bureau, where they made title and I payed the sales tax on the whole mess. It sounds like a lot of trouble but was very easy. more time consuming than anything. Thanks to the glassic library having the info on my make and model was easy. I really believe that the key to getting what you need is ask tons of questions before you even make the appointment. have as much documentation as you can get. be prepared. and above all smile and don't get mad at these people. you need somthing from them. they are only doing a job the way they were trained to do it. if you get upset with them ,they can make this process very hard if not impossible. ask every agency in the process what they require from the other agencies

Re:59 crosby 9 years 7 months ago #106513

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Woodglass, excellent response and great information to keep in mind, especially the smile and cooperation. That is a secret to getting most anything you want or need. If you don't do that you assure failure.
Attachments:

Re:59 crosby 9 years 6 months ago #107488

Update Talking with the lady that had the boat. There is a good chance that she will go to BMV with me to get titles. Keep fingers crossed LOL

Re:59 crosby Up Date 9 years 4 months ago #110159

Hi!!! How is everyone. Bad news for the Ranger. The hull and transom are beyond repair Plywood between fiberglass from back to the dash is rotted bad. Just to far gone. I will go ahead and part it out. There are lots of good parts. I have other projects its just a bummer. The 57 Bowman is coming along grate TTYS Gary

Re:59 crosby 9 years 4 months ago #110161

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
That's too bad Gary, sorry to hear it. At least you got a trailer and a Merc out of the deal, and maybe some income from spare parts? I know we can't save them all, but it's sad when you run across one that's just too far gone.

Mark

Re:59 crosby 9 years 4 months ago #110162

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Gary, sorry to hear of your loss. Please give the old gal a decent departure. Strip it down of everything, absolutely EVERYTHING including the pulleys for the steering. The aluminum backing on the side bumper rail is even worth a few $$. There are plenty of fellas here that could use parts. Some local bone yards will let you drop 'em off the trailer for a small fee and crush them with a payloader before burial, other municipal transfer stations will let you drop them off for around $35. Used trailers in my area usually run from $150. - $250. depending on condition. The sum of parts is worth more than the whole boat.
WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT POST IT AS A FRONT YARD FLOWER GARDEN!
Attachments:

Re:59 crosby 9 years 4 months ago #110165

LOL I promise that will not happen to her. I posted as a whole on Craigs list because there was a 58 18' I missed 3 weeks ago. Maybe the buyer of that one would need this one. After that I will part her out and dispose of her That is a place that grinds them up near me. Thank You Gary

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.329 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online