• Page:

TOPIC: Bearcat 55 & Homelite 4 cycles

Bearcat 55 & Homelite 4 cycles 9 years 8 months ago #104650

• firstfibre
  • firstfibre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
There are 3 motors, I did a search and they seem to be a good 4 cycle motor, good performance and sips the fuel compared to the 2 cycles.
Anybody have one of these? Also another one that looks the same in military drab, guess they did them for the army after WWII so it must be one of those just had a plate on it that said "US".
Any knowledge would be great.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Bearcat 55 & Homelite 4 cycles 9 years 8 months ago #104657

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Those motors have a loyal following Steve, see here;

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/homelite-bearcat-4-cycle-outboards

Mark

Re: Bearcat 55 & Homelite 4 cycles 9 years 8 months ago #104660

firstfibre,

You are correct. = The US Army Corps of Engineers bought a considerable number of HOMELITE outboards to power small craft for things like river & bay surveys, "marking snags", "waterside maintenance", etc.

As best as I can find out, the vast majority were delivered in "commercial dress" & some were likely repainted in OD GREEN later.
(When I was stationed at Ft Lee VA in 1976, the CoE at FT Storey had at least 2 twenty foot lapstrake-plywood SIMMONS SEA SKIFFS that were powered by HOMELITE outboards.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Bearcat 55 & Homelite 4 cycles 9 years 8 months ago #104661

• firstfibre
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Mark for the link, and thats cool Satx, I will have to look around for the cover for that motor, it would be great to build a boat in Army dress.

Re: Bearcat 55 & Homelite 4 cycles 9 years 8 months ago #104664

firstfibre,

IF you want to recreate a CoE "utility boat", look on www.capefearmuseum.com for the information to purchase the plans for the SIMMONS SEA SKIFF in 18, 20 & 22 foot models.
You may also want to consult www.simmonsseaskiff.com , which is a site for owners/fans/restorers/builders of the Simmons boats.

Plans for the 18-foot boat are 50.oo and the plans for the 20 & 22 foot models are 65.oo. = All proceeds from the sale of plans support the Cape Fear Museum & its outreach/education programs.

Note: All the CoE boats that I ever saw during my Army career were painted cream or light tan with red decks & fore to aft red stripes down each side.
Most of the original CoE boats were built on government contract by Mr. T.N. SIMMONS or after Mr. Simmons death by the late NELSON SILVIA's boat-building shop in Wilmington, NC.
ImVho, the 18 foot Simmons is OVER-POWERED with more than a 35HP outboard motor. Otoh, the 22 foot skiff is "near perfection in a small fishing craft" when powered with the HOMELITE 55 outboard.
(I know of any number of fishermen who have taken the 22 foot boat 40 or more NM out into the Atlantic & returned safely.)

just my OPINIONS, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Bearcat 55 & Homelite 4 cycles 9 years 8 months ago #104671

• firstfibre
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the info, they are a cool looking boat, I will have to see if I can get that motor.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online