Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge

paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104368

Hey guys new to the boat scene i have a 59 glasspar lido so a small boat that will be trailered and garaged i wanted some opinions on paint..my two thoughts were valspar lic 50 or total boat wet edge...the valspar i can get 20 min away from my house in victorville ca so if i run out of someyhing i can get it quick the other comes from jamestown distributers on the east coast i think its their brand..any opinions ?? The valspar is 130 for a gallon kit and the total boat was 75 ..i either have to buy a sprayer or brushes and rollers but ordering across the us i gotta pay 50 for shipping...i was recommended a gallon and a quart of paint and a gallon of primer for total boat and the valspar they said a quart of primer cause u can paint over decent roughed jel coat and 1 gal and a quart..i need opinions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104433

Uhmmm you can use Rustoleum Pro Oil based Paint and mix Arcylic Enamel Hardener in at the ratio of 2oz per quart and you'll be amazed at the results. Paint is Ultra Glossy, Hard as nails and you can leave your boat in the wter for 3-4 days with no adverse affects. My boat hull and topside has been painted with it for 3 years now and it still looks like the day I painted it. You can spray it or use the Roll n' Roll technique and get fantastic looking results. I HIGHLY recommend it. If you have a Tractor Supply retail store they sell Majic Brand Tractor Paint with the Hardener and reducer too. It's basically the same paint as Rustoleum and yields the same results. I even painted my motor & Trailer with it!!!

Re: paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104453

thanks for the reply I know I can get the Rustoleum Pro for $8 a court at Home Depot or Lowes but I was wondering if the Rustoleum topsides was any better I can get it on Amazon for $11.88 a quart I was looking for a paint on a budget but don't mind spending the extra couple bucks for something a little bit better..they claim its waterproof and pro is not but they really dont say what the difference is ..and not sure if u can mix a hardner or if it has it in there...boat will be kept in the garage but would like a nice finish

Re: paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104454

Save the $3.88 to help pay for the $16/pint hardener.

Mix in the additive hardener and you'll end up w a tough high gloss finish.

Like many made for 'marine use' products, its relabeled Pro nearly identical. I think Mike has spoken at length w their tech dept to confirm it.

Re: paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104455

Ok cool deal and at least everythings in stock 15 min from my house...what primer did i need cause i think they only carry the metal primer there..ive seen rusto fiberglass and wood prime on amazon my top deck needs filler so i think id have to prime..my hull is decent do i need to prime over scuffed jel coat?

Re: paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104457

Ok cool deal and at least everythings in stock 15 min from my house...what primer did i need cause i think they only carry the metal primer there..ive seen rusto fiberglass and wood prime on amazon my top deck needs filler so i think id have to prime..my hull is decent do i need to prime over scuffed jel coat?

Re: paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104459

More time and effort spent on prep, the better the paint will be.

filling and priming are prep

Mike posted this elsewhere online, anywhere he mentions Majic paint, it's an oil based enamel, and any good, quality oil will suffice:
Paint your boat cheap w/ tractor paint
The Rusto pro is a good quality paint. Their metal primer is similar to the Majic implement primer.

Has tips for what rollers to use if using the roll and roll technique, might even touch on roll and tip paint method, else google it

Re: paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104460

IF that link gets broken or doesnt take you directly to the post about the Majic paint details, look for post #238 in that thread.

Re: paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104461

What did you thin it with? Ive heard the slower reducers help level out better thanks for all your help..heard lots of good about these paints and few bad ..but bad to me is spending too much in paint and not enough money to go on a trip with it lol

Re: paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104464

Thin for spraying is discussed in that link I posted: 50/50 Acetone and Mineral Spirits

And the reducer is discussed for roll/roll

Re: paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104500

Yup, the link pretty much covers it all. If you have any specific questions, post em here and I'll be glad to discuss them with you.

Re:paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104503

guess i know it now, i have to paint my PM so thanks

Re:paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104507

Hey flamingo iboat wont let me post on the other link but i noticed that the harbor blue was a rusto rust stop and not a rusto professional..was confused since u said to get the pro ..also for the fiberglass can i use the metal primer?

Re:paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104518

Yup, the Rusto Auto Primer works Great on Fiberglass...This is the stuff to use. Get the hardener on Amazon.Com or at most any AutoPaint store. Any Acrylic Enamel Paint Hardener will work. Tractor Supply has Majic Brand. Valspar sells one too!!!

Re:paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104520

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Dmd, these guys helped me and many others through their first paint job, excellent reference in their links given. It seems a little daunting at first, but once you get started you'll get the hang of it. Read up on all the threads where the issue is discussed, you can just type "rustoleum" in the forum search box above and it will pull up a library of threads!

Two words of advice from a novice;
1 - If you roll and tip put a coat on and LEAVE IT ALONE overnight. It will flow out and lay down a great deal if left alone.
2 - Wear a Good chemical respirator and have plenty of ventilation if you use any of the hardeners! The respirators and cartridges are not that expensive when compared to what can/will happen if you don't use them. Trust me on this PLEASE.

Here's a link to my first paint job, may have some reference info in there from the gang you can use; www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/member-projects/new-project-71-glastron-gt-150#31614

Mark

Re:paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104559

So i called a local paint shop and they sell a gallon kit for 130 that includes the hardener and reducer of lic 50..its a polyurethane would that be any better than the rusto pro or rust stop line?

Re:paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104562

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Just my two cents, but if you're going to spend that much go with a product designed for the job = marine paint. On the other hand that may be some good stuff, Valspar is usually a quality product. I've heard the two part poly's are tougher than "normal", but I'd want to get a reference from somebody who has used it before?
licindustrialfinishes.valsparautomotive.com/pdf/LIC50.pdf

Maybe ask some of the gang here who paint quite a few boats what they use? (Bilnan1, Nautilus, etc...)

Mark

Re:paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104563

Its really funny how the auto paint stores say polyurethane is stronger than the oil based paints abd the oil based paints wont hold up in the sun but then on most boat forums its the other way around makes no sence

Re:paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104574

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Question:
What's the pot life of the Rustoleum after the hardner is added? I'm always concerned that the paint will start to set up while it's still in the can and I have to pitch it all.

Re:paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104577

You should only mix the hardener into paint you'll use in 8hrs or less. Including a brief induction time before using it.

Re:paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #104591

Hey flamingo so for your hull you used easypoxy do u think the rusto or tractor majic would hold up under water for the hull? I know ordering the rusto marine is only 12 a quart..too many options lol..your boat looks great and that glasspar u posted is the same boat as mine ..i want to do your color with the same scheme..ill need your help on finding that interior color too later

Re:paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #105089

If I had it to do over, I'd do my entire boat with the Rustoleum or Majic Paint with the added Hardener. It's extremely durable and as long as you don't leave your boat in the water for more than a Week at a time it will hold up just fine. I custom mixed the Sky Blue color. Basically its 16oz of Gloss White Rustoleum and 10oz of Ford Tractor Blue Then 1oz of Hardener and 8oz Reducer. That yields just over a quart of Paint and that was enough for 4 coats on my top cap.

Re:paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #105106

I'm curious, what would happen if, for some reason, you ended up leaving the boat in the water for week or even two weeks, what would be the impact?

(I'm wanting to fix up the hull of my boat (60 Leavens) this winter. It has lots of spider cracks and some damage. I'm not looking for a showroom finish but at the same time I want it to look good....and....just as important, want it to last. I just know for some reason or another, I'd end up leaving it in the water at the cottage for a week or two. I'd hate to go through the work to refinish it, only to have it damaged by leaving it in the water too long)

Re:paint..valspar lic 50 vs total boat wet edge 9 years 8 months ago #105128

Water may penetrate the paint and cause blistering......

If you think you might, IMO, it'd prove prudent to do below the waterline (rubrail maybe) differently and only do the cap w/ enamel and hardener.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online