• Page:

TOPIC: Boats on death row

Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104357

• commando
  • commando's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Just though I share a few pic of what I saw today.it is amazing to wonder how long it took to built all of this boat but with a crane they managed to crush 8 in 1 day just amazing to watch how fast they can destroy them also.all it took is a deer travel lift drop of of he crush it like tooth pick img] www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/2015_01_13_17.jpg [/img]
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104359

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
It's a crime to destroy that 1940's cruiser in the third photo. It has great lines and the hull looks sound. Damned shame.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104365

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Makes you want to cry.

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104366

Sure does want to make you cry !
We just don't have equipment, room or cash to be foster boat care providers until the perfect family to care for them can be found ?

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104379

That is one job I could not make myself do.
Crushing history and class.

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104380

Yep a cryin' shame!

Bob

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104383

I saw a youtube vid awhile back with a big crusher eating whole fiberglass boats, made me sic. I would not be able to sleep at night if I had that job.

Gene

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104386

here is a large group of death row boats at a yard by me.. i want to ride out and walk through them and see if there's anything salvageable.. and to check out that huge boat.. it kind of looks like an old PT boat. i have heard of one in the area. so thinking this might be it..

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104387

• commando
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Total boat crush 25 up to today.I ask them why it all been crush they said the owner didn't pay up the dry dock so the court gave them the right to seize the boat and crush them to make more space then they go after the owner to pay up the morage and the cost the remove them if they don't pay the owner will have a bad credit in the future.ok I can see why but at least remove the fuel or diesel tank cause the river is only 50'away and all of this crap is just every where and the government of Canada tax us for environmental fee and level fee on everything we buy.just my opinion but it's all got to do with money from the top to the bottom and everyone get a piece of it.

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104388

Go thats a lot of small boats

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104390

There must be value in the hard wood i mean small parts for my sailboat made from old teak from these boats

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104391

• commando
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Come to think about tax maybe it good for all of us to keep this as a remind to keep receipt.6 yr ago I restore and sold my first delmar for $2000 and 2 yr later I got a letter from the government to pay them tax for saleing my boat which is 12% = to $s240.I called and talk to them about it I told them I bought the boat for $200 and spend more them $2000 to restore it and yes I pay my tax when I bought all the materials minus my labour 6 month to restore it so now what more tax do I have to pay.I send them all of my receipt and photo of the boat before restore and after and bill of sale from the old owner then they let me of the hook.so just from my experience keep all documents of your restoration.

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104393

• commando
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I got a smart phone but mine is dumb it keep posting more them what I want.sorry I don't know how to delete post or reply cause my phone is not so smart

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104394

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey Commando Bill, could you PLEASE post some pics of the DelMar you did a while back? I believe someone was asking about it the other day, and it sure turned out to be a beauty IMHO. Lots of new members here haven't seen it, I'm sure they would love to check it out.

Mark

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104399

might be on one of the first calendars mark. i'll check when i get back from the diner. hope all is goin well..ok here. ron

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104404

inside that large building in the bottom of my pic is a late 20's or early 30's 48ft humpfrey.. im sure i spelled it wrong...they had it forsale over the summer for 50k needs to be restored.. but from the pics it still looks to be in great shape.. needs a ton of wood refinishing.. i couldnt even imagin how long it would take to sand and revarnish something of that size..

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104409

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
When i saw that Photo of the wood cruiser my first reaction was, I know that boat! However the one I am thinking of is in Port Townsend and has been sitting on the hard for years. I think the yard has finally seized it and will try to auction it off. I took the below photos in 2009. It looks great from a distance but up close is a whole different matter. It has a had a number of owners in the last 10 years but the cost to fix it is huge. It needs parts of keel replaced, completely replanking below the waterline, and some of the frames need replacing, at least the ones I have seen. Who knows what the rest look like. Plus that the cabin is a mess. Someone did a cobbled up job of trying to rebuild the trunk cabin and now the ply is delaminating. My wife was interested in buying it because the price was right (I think in 2012 it was down to $3000) But then I explained what it would take to restore it correctly and how much it would cost, even if I did most of the work. A helper would definitely be needed to do the hull work, and I would have to pay them a decent wage. My point is sometimes even these beautiful boats get neglected and abused to the point where the only merciful thing to do is give them a decent burial.

Last time I looked at it (Oct 2014) I think it had a sign on it that the yard had seized it. Someone had done some work on it but not much. Probably the yard just trying to make it sellable.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104411

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to take a mold and build a fiberglass hull, then disassemble the top and interior, wouldn't be the original but would make a beautiful boat and it's the wood you touch that I like not whats under the paint. Hopefully reuse the mold on more of the same model to cover some costs. Probably not cheap but would never have to worry about wood hull again.

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104412

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
yes that's been done on a lot of old boats. Of course another way is to simply glass over the underwater part of the hull.

The way I would have fixed the one I posted is to laminate at least three layers of thin veneers over the original planking to stabilize it and seal the hull. that has been done with a lot of old wood boats. It adds weight but increases the underwater volume, so they actually float a little higher. But again these are band aid fixes.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104442

Yeah not a big fan of glassing over wood, you're just asking for trouble. Any water gets between there or any rot already there and it will just eat itself from the outside in, to the point that the glass will just pull away and then well, to the bottom of the body of water it's in. a full mold of the hull would be great but again very expensive to do. If you have the time and the materials it's a great project to keep you out of trouble for a while, a long while. Just my opinion. ;)

Bob

Re:Boats on death row 9 years 8 months ago #104448

They should sell them as tiny houses, people are spending 10K to build a shed house, you could set one of these on a lot in a hole, shoot the bottom with concrete like a hot tub to the waterline then just refinish the deck and interior, tell me which you would rather live in.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/this-couple-built-their-own-tiny-home-for-less-than--10-000-162920658.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online