Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Opinion - Should controls match boat or motor?

Opinion - Should controls match boat or motor? 9 years 9 months ago #103145

Hey folks,

Sooo, as some of you know, I've been looking for the old set of dual controls for my '58 club Mariner to use on the two '62 gale 40's that are on it. I've been looking for an affordable/fixable set of these, off and on, for about 6 years. Now, as luck would have it, I've been able to locate both the adapter to the square box ones, as well as an affordable set of the older "bosun" type ones at what I consider a reasonable price.

Now to be honest, I am not keeping the boat original, but am keeping it as original as practical. So I am torn, as the boat originally had the oval type controls (and the original teak mount on the boat is cut to its exact dimensions), but the motors would actually have come with the square box style controls (when I bought them, they came with teleflex dual controls - basically 2 singles made to a double).

I'll be pulling the trigger today one way or the other (or maybe both triggers if I can get the guy to deal), but am interested in everyones opinion.

Thanks folks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Opinion - Should controls match boat or motor? 9 years 9 months ago #103146

you asked for opinion. I would go with the one that matched what was on the boat. No good reason. Just I would go that way.

Re:Opinion - Should controls match boat or motor? 9 years 9 months ago #103147

If you are installing 'bosun' controls [are these same as 'binnacle'?]
I think I would try and get something that looks correct with the rest of the helm area.
example: If you are using a classic steering wheel and gauges, I'd try and track down classic binnacle controls - OR - (2) sets of classic Gale control boxes.
If you are going to update your helm area to stainless or other late model appearing things, I would use late model binnacles.
Just my $.02
:)
Doc

Re:Opinion - Should controls match boat or motor? 9 years 9 months ago #103149

any chance of changing to older hoods??

Re:Opinion - Should controls match boat or motor? 9 years 9 months ago #103150

Thanks folks, I am leaning towards original. I got an unbelieveable deal on both, basically got both for less than what one usu. goes for on ebay, so I now have time to figure out which way I will go. The "bosun" (see here doc - this is the single version www.fiberglassics.com/glassifieds/5-wanted/3490-dual-1950s-simplex-controls.html - don't know what else to call them) says Johnson on it so now I'll need to find a "scrapper" with the gale/bosun label. I actually have the single control to mount to the dual adapter that has a gale plate for it which i may use while I clean up and paint the other.

As an FYI, I will be using vintage pieces for the helm. The original steering set up (ride guide) with airguide guages, although will progbably be a mix of late 50's early 60's time frame, but I'm OK with that.

But this is a long term restore. I'll be using the boat while fixing it up, so am now concentrating on finalizing motors, cabin interior, cock pit etc before tackling the outside/hull. But not complaning, it is a good place to be!! I now have everything I need for the rebuid, so I can rest and stop spending money for a bit!

I'll post pics when i get a chance. Thanks folks!

Re:Opinion - Should controls match boat or motor? 9 years 9 months ago #103151

Hadn't thought of that redfish! Will '58 hoods fit on the '62 motor? I don't think they had 40's then, I know the originals were 35's. That would be cool if I could!! Heck, if they do, and I can find Johnson hoods, I'd be all set!

Re:Opinion - Should controls match boat or motor? 9 years 9 months ago #103153

with the gale pan I think you would have to stay away from the supper quite and lark as they use a different pan...haven't tried it but bet someone here has...john

Re:Opinion - Should controls match boat or motor? 9 years 9 months ago #103158

• Larry
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I believe a 58' 35hp Super Sea Horse hood will fit on the 1962 40hp Gale. We installed one on a 65 Evinrude. (see photo) only had to modify the front latch.

Larry
Vintage Boatworks

Attachments:

Re:Opinion - Should controls match boat or motor? 9 years 9 months ago #103165

Hmmmm, inreresting. I'll have to mull this over - but hey, I have the winter to think about it! But man, they would look cool..although the gales don't look bad either. :)

Thanks Larry.

Re:Opinion - Should controls match boat or motor? 9 years 9 months ago #103167

And here are pics - looks like there may be a set screw post missing on the square one, but I have a unit I can steal from if need be.

thanks again for the comments folks.
Attachments:

Re:Opinion - Should controls match boat or motor? 9 years 9 months ago #103243

Nice, the Johnson dual controls had the name plate replaced. Alter as needed to make them Gale Bosun controls!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online