Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Boat scrapyard clearing inventory

Boat scrapyard clearing inventory 9 years 10 months ago #102969

Hello...just a heads up. There is a boat salvage yard in Dawsonville Ga called lanier marine. They are scrapping lots of there older inventory of boats. They have some boats all the way back to the 50's. I was looking at and aristocraft they had but i bought a boat locally. Go to www.laniermarine.com and look at what they have...most are pretty beat and picked over. Ignore the prices listed...they are selling the older boats at scrap prices. Just helping out in case someone is looking for a project. Give them a call, guy there told me he would make a deal to keep some of these boats from being shredded.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Boat scrapyard clearing inventory 9 years 10 months ago #102970

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I've walked their whole yard and didn't see much interesting. A lot of junk, IMO. The word in the area is to be very careful with those guys. It will probably be a new SuperFund site.

Re:Boat scrapyard clearing inventory 9 years 10 months ago #102971

It seems odd how many times this info gets posted by 1 & done posters...... i'm just saying.....

Esp the bit about dealing on pricing. Thats never been the case whenever someone talks about having contacted them and certainly wasnt my experience when i spoke to them.

In fact, i wanted to be a buyer and it was such a hassle to reach them and get useful info, i moved on to other options. Not worth it. IMO, and i've heard similar from people who actually stopped by the place too. Complete PITA and 99% of their stuff is utter carp...

Re:Boat scrapyard clearing inventory 9 years 10 months ago #103007

Sorry if I offended anyone...just trying to help...I'm new to old boats and boats in general. I'm into classic cars and car guys tend to try to help each other with stuff like this. Didn't know this info had been posted before so moderaters can delete this post if need be.

I'm working on buying a classic boat but not from them....there stuff needed way to much work.

Re:Boat scrapyard clearing inventory 9 years 10 months ago #103009

If you're looking for a project, you've done yourself a huge favor by not condidering anything from Lanier..

This is not the only boat forum I see them posted to, so part of my rant was based on that.

Its unfortunate they arent better to deal w/, at some point they might have been a good parts resource. But not now...

If you find a project boat you're interested in, post details and pix before you buy it. And ask lots of questions.

Stick around, its a great place to learn how to rehab a boat. Even though some of us (me in my earlier post) occassionally forget to mind our manners.

My post was really more about my low opinion of Lanier and my suspicion that its often them or someone closely connected to them that make the posts similar to yours then are never heard from again.

Re:Boat scrapyard clearing inventory 9 years 10 months ago #103012

• DaveM
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi John,
Getting into the wrong boat usually means endless heartache and lost $$$ that most of us don't have just lying around to lose.
Your opinions and others like yours are priceless. Just my 2 cents.
DaveM.

Re:Boat scrapyard clearing inventory 9 years 10 months ago #103016

Thanks, but I wanted to make sure Daren knew it was Lanier that irratates me, not him or his post of their info...

Happy to have him here asking questions and trying to help others is always great.

And agree that in this instance, his impression:
daren386 wrote:

I'm working on buying a classic boat but not from them....there stuff needed way to much work

was wholly accurate ;)

Re:Boat scrapyard clearing inventory 9 years 10 months ago #103023

Yes welcome aboard Daren and post anything your looking at and we can give recommendations as long as there's good pics. ;)

Bob

Re:Boat scrapyard clearing inventory 9 years 10 months ago #103026

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
From what I've seen of their site and inventory, I'd say 'bout all they have is used up junk IMHO.

Re:Boat scrapyard clearing inventory 9 years 10 months ago #103030

Thanks for the replys! I already posted over on the 70s disco fiber forum. I purchased a 72 caravelle fish and ski! Go there for pics. Thanks for the help

Re: Boat scrapyard clearing inventory 9 years 10 months ago #103061

daren386,

WELCOME ABOARD. - GOOD info, too.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Boat scrapyard clearing inventory 9 years 10 months ago #103075

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I went there once...ONCE! The only "fiberglassic" I saw that interested me was basically a hulk but something I could have done one of my resto-mods on...no engine, half the hardware missing, etc. Anyway, the guy said he'd let it go for $2,000 !!!!! $200 would have been a little high. When I said no, he lowered the price to $1,900.

I originally went there about three years ago to look at a 1950 Chris Craft Deluxe semi-enclosed cruiser.

Here's the CURRENT for sale ad:

www.laniermarine.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?veh=684612

I can guarantee you that these photos are AT LEAST 10 years old! The boat looks nothing like this. It's a mushy rotted hulk that has collapsed under it's own weight...and I'm talking about what I saw three years ago! I wouldn't even climb up on it. It is STILL being advertised for sale with the same photos!

Lanier Marine advertises overpriced and misrepresented junk. Somebody needs to call-in an A-10 Warthog airstrike on that place...napalm, no advance warning!

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Boat scrapyard clearing inventory 9 years 10 months ago #103103

Well..glad i stayed away from that place!

Re:Boat scrapyard clearing inventory 9 years 10 months ago #103118

• billr
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes OP thanks for posting. They have been an Easter egg hunt over the years.
I remember back around 2002 or so someone pulled a couple Larson glassics out of there, and a Bell Boy Banshee if I remember right. And some old outboards, I was doing a deal with them in 2003 on some outboards and one of the employees took them to the landfill! The guy gave me the landfill contact, called them and sure enough the motors were buried. Crazy turn of events.
I second the Warthog visit.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online