• Page:

TOPIC: next boat suggestions

next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102316

• Hugh Long
  • Hugh Long's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Next year I am going to start looking for another boat for my 400 and 500 Mercury's. Something for just 2 ?, light, fast( anything over 30 is fast :P ) 40 would be good. I admire the Aristacraft's, but they are out of my price range. I see number of boat photos with no name,low in the water look. Maybe plywood with glass over bottom to spray rail??? With all the metal in my back, :angry: building a kit boat is out of the question so I just don't know. My 2 aluminum boats will soon be finished off with upholstery and such.
Any suggestions on boats to look into will be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102317

Hey Hugo,

How about a Glasspar G3?

Great boats and a great following. Gonna need a short shaft though.

www.g3owners.com/

Terry
Attachments:

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102325

• Hugh Long
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Mine are all short shafts. Although they are great boats, most I find need stringers and such being a bit much for me to do. One of the reasons I went to aluminum boats. But... I wouldn't pass up a good one at the right price.

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102332

I know this site is mainly for Glassics but there are tons of Moulded plywood boats for sale that would work well with 40 to 50 hp cheap all over the place. Most are set up for short shaft, they are light, and a bit of paint and varnish will keep em on the water.

Or you could get a Humber Jewel:
www.kijiji.ca/v-view-image.html?adId=1029722483&image=0&enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Or buy the molds and start production of them!
www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/city-of-toronto/humber-jewel-molds-for-sale/548084755?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Al

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102347

• Hugh Long
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Moulded Plywood sounds good. Are you in eastern states? I don't see them out west. Could you give me some names to search for? Light weight is high on my list too. Some of the Speed liners have the look I like but again, out of my range. If I start looking now, I will have a good idea of the ones that would work for me.
Going into spring, my hobby cash will grow and I would be willing to drive 500 mi or so.

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102350

I know of an Anthony Jet Star here in NW Iowa that is for sale. It will need a new floor and a rebuild, but a very cool boat and it originally came with a Merc 40 when new. I think it is a 1960-1961 vintage. Take a good look at the library under Anthony. Neat boats!

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102355

1030hugo wrote:

Moulded Plywood sounds good. Are you in eastern states? I don't see them out west. Could you give me some names to search for? Light weight is high on my list too. Some of the Speed liners have the look I like but again, out of my range. If I start looking now, I will have a good idea of the ones that would work for me.
Going into spring, my hobby cash will grow and I would be willing to drive 500 mi or so.

I'm in central Ontario Canada and mahogany boat are plentiful most of the time however at this time of year most have been stashed away and only the ones that are fully restored or stupidly overpriced are currently on the market. A couple of months ago a local guy had 2 for sale including trailers for about $600.00 each and they were in pretty decent shape too. I am supposed to see him for a motor and I can see if he still has them.
Al

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102357

• Hugh Long
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More or less, I have a Champane appetite and a Beer budget. Trailers and outboards I have and could see freeing up 600 to 1500 next spring for a boat.
The next problem is with my bolted together back, bending over replacing stringers and that type of work is too much for me. I can do a lot of refurbishing otherwise. If I didn't have that problem I would try my hand at building a boat.
I have already heard of some boats I didn't know about, witch is just what I needed. That Jet star is a need boat. Keep the ideas coming and I will check them out and maybe be able to pick a couple to start looking for.
Thanks Hugh

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102363

Hugo, how about a 1971 Glastron GT-150 ? Craigs list Omaha ne under boats. $1750. floor ,transom and stringers already done !!! madbohunk safe boating

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102370

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hugo,don't know your location,but spotted this and thought of you. spokane.craigslist.org/boa/4734580521.html

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102371

• Hugh Long
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
We have 2 Glastrons now but the Skiflite will go to a new home next spring. GT150's are great looking boats. Don't know if my 50 hp would do it justice or not.
And wow an Aristocraft in my price range. I live in Northern Nevada. Have friends in Spokane.
Anything I buy will need work and that's o k if the hard to do stuff is done or in good shape. It would be a next winter project.

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102372

Well, if you want to make a trip cross country :dry: I have a 1962 aristocraft with the hard top, rear seats, and many extra's that I was going to work on after the Club mariner, but given the speed that is goingwith that,I've decided I'll get rid of it in the spring. Stringers are fiberglass, transom is partly wood. Anyway, throwing it out there! :lol:

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102374

How about my Commando U2 .just the boat no motor or trailer I will let it go for $2000usd but you have to come to Vancouver b.c to get it.no work needed just need a motor I only used it once simce I built her
Attachments:

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102377

there have been a few nice ones forsale lately out here on the east coast here's one listed now...

jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/4712206314.html

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102380

• Hugh Long
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Wow! 1st U2 I have seen. Very Nice looking boat.
That Glastron looks to be in super condition. If it is as good as it looks, That is a bargain price.
Just looked at that Anthony Jet Star. Cool Looking boat also. I like the small size too.

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102384

Here's a one owner Glastron at a decent price where I live. Just a stone's throw from NV.
lascruces.craigslist.org/boa/4711939882.html

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102420

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hugo, here's another that might need watching. Looks like it might be in a little better shape with a merc on back.

Re:next boat suggestions 9 years 10 months ago #102425

• Hugh Long
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
That's a good looking Glastron for the Price They do look great.
The Aristocraft is more the size boat I'm looking for and getting down to my price range

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online