• Page:

TOPIC: 2014 Falls Glassic Cruise

2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 11 months ago #102182

• Eduardo
  • Eduardo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
It was in ’07 on a very nice fall day in October when our friends Glenn and Lan (’62 Trailorboat Savoy) and my wife and me (’58 Dorsett El Dorado) towed our glassics to the Delta to cruise 31 miles around Grand Island. Since then and 7 years later, we are still doing this annual Fall cruise in the Delta. Fall is one of our favorite times of the year to be on the Delta. The weather is perfect and you get to see the changing colors of the Fall season. So every year I organize a small gathering of friends and family for the annual run. We’ve done from a 31 miles run and up to 72 miles, and anywhere in between. This year we decided to do a 68 mile run up and back along the Sacramento River, from Sacramento, CA to the small Delta town of Walnut Grove, Ca. Every year it never fails. We just enjoy getting together with our old glassics, running them, and just having a great day with your fellow boating friends. Take a look.

I see a few California members here so I hope you meet up with us on the GoldenStateGlassics.com.

Eduardo & Mercedes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Getting ready... 9 years 11 months ago #102183

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
...for the long cruise.

At Discovery Park boat launch

There were 7 glassics that made it, but one didn't make the cruise. I towed in a 60s Magnolia before the start of the run.

On our way to Walnut Grove, CA... 9 years 11 months ago #102184

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
...from Sacramento, 34 miles.

Mile 2

Kent's 1974 Glastron GT150

Mile 5

You'll like this story. Picture is of Andrew and Deanna. This '60 Glasspar Citation was originally his grandfathers, who gave his Little Cloud 9 to Andrew when he was only 13 years old. You can make out the G.W. initials, which his grandfather's, upper left hand corner of the Cloud 9.

Mile 6 Sherwood Marina

Glenn & Lan's '62 Trailorboat Savoy

The gateway to the Delta... 9 years 11 months ago #102185

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
...is Freeport, CA

Mile 14

Freeport Bridge

Paul's '59 Dorsett El Dorado

Mile 26 Steamboat Slough bridge

Mile 33 Locke, CA

@ Walnut Grove, CA... 9 years 11 months ago #102186

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
...and 34 miles, we have arrived.

Glassics at the public dock.

Lunch @ Walnut Grove's Mocha Cafe 9 years 11 months ago #102187

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
L to R: Andrew, Don, Deanna, Mercedes, Glenn, and Lan

L to R: Kent, Gemmel, David, and Paul
Attachments:

Getting ready... 9 years 11 months ago #102189

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
...to go another 34 miles back to Discovery Park in Sacramento.

Anyone a Homelite Fan? I dig that shirt Don.

This is Don on the left, who drove an hour to meet us for lunch. Glad you came out and joined us Don. That's me on the right.
Attachments:

On our way back to Sacramento, CA 9 years 11 months ago #102190

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Approaching Courtland, CA

Mile 42 Courtland Bridge

Mile 54 Approaching Freeport Bridge, my wife Mercedes at the helm

Mile 62 Sherwood Marina with Sacramento Yacht Club in the background

Approaching Old Sacramento

Mile 66 Sacramento's Tower Bridge

Sacramento's own, The Delta King

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 11 months ago #102191

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Less then 2 miles and we are back.

After 68 miles, almost 6 hours on the water, everyone made it home safely. Hope you enjoyed this thread and thanks for looking.

Eduardo & Mercedes
Attachments:

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 11 months ago #102193

• MarkS
That was great Eduardo, thanks for sharing!

Mark

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 11 months ago #102195

Eduardo, what an awesome cruise, and great glassic boats. I'm sure heads were turning all the way up and back. The pics are really cool. Always nice to get together friends!! Just winterized the boats yeaterday, no more cruising here in Ne., highs next week 31. Keep posting pics of that sunny california !! I sure miss living in Ca. this time of year. thanks again. madbohunk safe boating

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 11 months ago #102196

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Looks like a lot of fun, beautiful boats, great friends,great scenery. I'd love to go with you guys, but the drive there would be a killer :laugh:

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 11 months ago #102198

What a great trip! A few weeks ago my friend Richard and I attended a fall cruise on Chemong lake near Peterborough Ontario and the weather was perfect. The event was sponsored by the Trent Severn Antique boat club so the majority of boats where wood but several Glassics and at least 1 tinny made the run. This morning it's -9c with a skiff of snow so looking at your pics certainly made me a bit warmer!
Al

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 11 months ago #102200

Outstanding stuff Eduardo!!!!!!!!!!!! Getting too cold here, going to have to winterize tomorrow. Thanks for sharing, would have loved to be on that cruise, but alas way to far for me.

Bob

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 11 months ago #102211

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
As usual I love the threads you post of your trips.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 10 months ago #102321

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Sorry Gentlemen, we have been off the grid for the last 4 days, trailer camping off the coast of Northern California. Haven't been in an area without no cell or data service in well since before I had a cell phone. :ohmy:

Eduardo

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 10 months ago #102322

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
MarkS wrote:

That was great Eduardo, thanks for sharing!

Thanks Mark. Glad to share pictures of the day to this glassic community.

Eduardo

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 10 months ago #102323

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
madbohunk wrote:

Eduardo, what an awesome cruise, and great glassic boats. I'm sure heads were turning all the way up and back. The pics are really cool. Always nice to get together friends!! Just winterized the boats yeaterday, no more cruising here in Ne., highs next week 31. Keep posting pics of that sunny california !! I sure miss living in Ca. this time of year. thanks again. madbohunk safe boating

Thanks madbohunk. As we get out on the water even during the winter times, I will post here as well as the Golden State Glassics site. On occasion we will organize a few runs during the winter time. There's the annual New Year's day lunch run here in Sacramento that GSG puts together and Dan Walters, a political and government columnist for our local newspaper, The Sacramento Bee, hosts lunch for that day at the Sacramento Yacht Club, which we appreciate tremendously. He is a member of the GSG. He's been doing this as long as I've been into glassics.

So whereabout were you in California?

Eduardo

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 10 months ago #102324

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Jim L wrote:

Looks like a lot of fun, beautiful boats, great friends,great scenery. I'd love to go with you guys, but the drive there would be a killer :laugh:

Thanks Jim. It was definitely a lot of fun. We all get a kick out of people's reaction about our old boats. As anglers ourselves, we especially enjoy the conversations with the anglers that are on the water trolling back and forth right there at the public dock at Walnut Grove talking to us about our glassics. Maybe someday you'll find yourself out here on the westside for whatever reason and see the Delta in person.

Waterwings wrote:

Outstanding stuff Eduardo!!!!!!!!!!!! Getting too cold here, going to have to winterize tomorrow. Thanks for sharing, would have loved to be on that cruise, but alas way to far for me.

Bob

Thanks Bob. Glad to share. Like I said to Jim, hope one day you will see for yourself California's Delta.

Eduardo

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 10 months ago #102326

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
al lockhart wrote:

What a great trip! A few weeks ago my friend Richard and I attended a fall cruise on Chemong lake near Peterborough Ontario and the weather was perfect. The event was sponsored by the Trent Severn Antique boat club so the majority of boats where wood but several Glassics and at least 1 tinny made the run. This morning it's -9c with a skiff of snow so looking at your pics certainly made me a bit warmer!
Al

Thanks Al, glad to hear you did a Fall cruise as well. Any Pictures? Nice weather makes a difference for sure. I'll post some California blue skies if we go out again.

Eduardo

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 10 months ago #102328

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Shelby18 wrote:

Rick, it's my pleasure sharing the stories with all of you. Thanks for that compliment. I try.

So Rick, when do we get to see that beautiful boat of yours on the water? I'm sure some of us were hoping to see a picture already this year.

Eduardo

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 10 months ago #102333

I'd be glad to post some pics of the Chemong meet here ya go

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 10 months ago #102336

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Eduardo wrote:

Shelby18 wrote:

Rick, it's my pleasure sharing the stories with all of you. Thanks for that compliment. I try.

So Rick, when do we get to see that beautiful boat of yours on the water? I'm sure some of us were hoping to see a picture already this year.

Eduardo

Hello Eduardo,

I've already seen photos of it in the water. But have not seen it yet in person. It's in a trailer in MI currently, I doubt I'll see it until next year. Living in So Cal most of the time kinda makes it hard to just take off and go there. I'm letting Dave at Marine Services Unlimited use it to show his work at various shows until I get to the farm in MN.. Once there I want to hook up with the family from whom I bought it from for a reunion. Photos will follow, and hopefully a calendar submission.

The next project is currently under way. That one will be my Ca. boat. It's mostly wood with some fiberglass accents.

One day I hope to hook up with you guys. But it will be a couple of years before the new boat is ready. So keep the trips and threads going.

All the best....
Rick

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 10 months ago #102365

Eduardo, we lived around the riverside aera for 12 years . spent time in Big Bear watching all the classics cruising. so keep posting those WARM pics, its low 20's here in Ne. one good thing , i do leave for Vero Beach Florida tomorrow for vacation . going to cruise the indian river, maybe get into the salt water. madbohunk safe boating

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 10 months ago #102386

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
al lockhart wrote:

I'd be glad to post some pics of the Chemong meet here ya go /quote]

Great pictuers and very good looking old boats there Al. Never tire of looking at old boat pictures on the water. Looks like a nice gathering and beautiful weather conditions. Thank you Al for sharing.

Eduardo

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 10 months ago #102387

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Shelby18 wrote:

Eduardo wrote:

Shelby18 wrote:

Eduardo

Hello Eduardo,

I've already seen photos of it in the water. But have not seen it yet in person. It's in a trailer in MI currently, I doubt I'll see it until next year. Living in So Cal most of the time kinda makes it hard to just take off and go there. I'm letting Dave at Marine Services Unlimited use it to show his work at various shows until I get to the farm in MN.. Once there I want to hook up with the family from whom I bought it from for a reunion. Photos will follow, and hopefully a calendar submission.

The next project is currently under way. That one will be my Ca. boat. It's mostly wood with some fiberglass accents.

One day I hope to hook up with you guys. But it will be a couple of years before the new boat is ready. So keep the trips and threads going.

All the best....
Rick

Rick we can't wait to see pictures of the completed work. That's very cool of you when you can get together with the former owners. They will be touched and blown away when they see her again. Very nice. You got a name for her?

We'll be looking forward to seeing pictures of your California project Rick. Didn't know you were in California. You know that there is annual gathering in Alamitos Bay just south of Long Beach hosted by the SoCal Golden State Glassic members? A few of us NorCal folks attended. We had a blast a blast. Maybe one year you can hookup with them. We'd like to do that trip again.

Eduardo

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 10 months ago #102388

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
madbohunk wrote:

Eduardo, we lived around the riverside aera for 12 years . spent time in Big Bear watching all the classics cruising. so keep posting those WARM pics, its low 20's here in Ne. one good thing , i do leave for Vero Beach Florida tomorrow for vacation . going to cruise the indian river, maybe get into the salt water. madbohunk safe boating

Good to know, a fellow Californian. Our Golden State Glassic friends in San Diego have a cabin up at Big Bear. Have a great time on the water and in sunny Florida.

Eduardo

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 10 months ago #102401

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Eduardo wrote:

Shelby18 wrote:

Eduardo wrote:

Shelby18 wrote:

Eduardo

Hello Eduardo,

All the best....
Rick

Rick we can't wait to see pictures of the completed work. That's very cool of you when you can get together with the former owners. They will be touched and blown away when they see her again. Very nice. You got a name for her?

We'll be looking forward to seeing pictures of your California project Rick. Didn't know you were in California. You know that there is annual gathering in Alamitos Bay just south of Long Beach hosted by the SoCal Golden State Glassic members? A few of us NorCal folks attended. We had a blast a blast. Maybe one year you can hookup with them. We'd like to do that trip again.

Eduardo

Eduardo,

No, no name for this boat. The stern is busy enough. I've kept the family informed the whole time on the restoration. Even been in contact with some of the brothers & sisters. They've been super!

I have a cabin near Lake Arrowhead (Cedar Glen). That is where the Ca. boat will be based. I didn't know about the SoCal Glassics. Just looked them up. Thank you.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 10 months ago #102525

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Shelby18 wrote:

Eduardo wrote:

Shelby18 wrote:

Eduardo wrote:

Shelby18 wrote:

Eduardo

Hello Eduardo,

All the best....
Rick

Eduardo

Eduardo,

No, no name for this boat. The stern is busy enough. I've kept the family informed the whole time on the restoration. Even been in contact with some of the brothers & sisters. They've been super!

I have a cabin near Lake Arrowhead (Cedar Glen). That is where the Ca. boat will be based. I didn't know about the SoCal Glassics. Just looked them up. Thank you.

Rick, I was searching for these pictures and finally found them. Check it out. So my buddy Kent picked up this ’55 Aristocraft Torpedo from San Diego over 3 1/2 years ago, original package, boat, motor and trailer. You probably seen pictures of her on the Vessels and Vines thread I posted last month. There are more pictures of his boat here.

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/main-forum/another-reason-why-i-enjoy-this-glassic-community

He got this model because it was the same model boat his father used to own. Anyway, this boat originally came from your neck of the woods, Lake Arrowhead. If you look closely at one of the pictures, it has the original 1956 Lake Arrowhead sticker on the windshield. I thought maybe you’d like that.

Before

After

Rick, I'll try to get a better picture of the '56 Lake Arrowhead sticker if you'd like.

Eduardo

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 10 months ago #102526

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Eduardo, I do remember that thread. And yes, I'd love to see a better photo of that decal. I go to the wooden boat show there every year and don't recall seeing a decal like that. This next year I'll look closer.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:2014 Falls Glassic Cruise 9 years 10 months ago #102528

• MarkS
What a beautiful restoration job on that Torpedo Eduardo, I'll bet Kent is very proud of it - he should be! One of the top wood boat designs of all times IMHO. You can still order one from Aristocraft Boats in Atlanta, I've given that some thought...... :laugh:
www.aristocraftboats.com/newproductions.html

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle