• Page:

TOPIC: Old Oil

Old Oil 9 years 11 months ago #102065

• All Dunn II
  • All Dunn II's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I have a friend that has a 55 gal metal oil drum that still has about 30 gallons of Mobil 2 cycle 50 to 1 oil in it. He asked me if I want it just to get it out of his garage. The question is that he has had it just sitting in the sealed barrel untouched for about 10 years. That is when he bought his first 4 stroke Honda. It has a hand pump in one of bungs, but it is sealed. We pumped a small amount of oil out and it looks clean and smells fine.
My question: is the oil still usable, or is it about $600 worth of bar oil for my chain saw? I hope it usable, but I don't want to take any chances.
Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Old Oil 9 years 11 months ago #102070

Well, my guess would be, it's still good ? Afterall it was stitting in the ground, imprgnated in rock for tens of thousands of years ?

I did a quick search on self life of 2 cycle oil, and like everything else ? Some say it will go bad, some say it won't.

Hopefully someone here has or knows someone that worked or works in thw oil indusrty, that has done tests on the subject ?

The only concern, if there is is one ? What additives are in 2 cycle oil that can go bad ? But oil as a base material would seem fine to me ?

Aren't you glad I told you absolutely nothing here ?
Looks like my view is as clear as dirty oil, or old 2 cycle oil ?
But if it were me ? And it looks good, smells good and doesn't have chunks in it ? I'd use it !
Good thing is: when my boat is done, I'll have boat tow insurance.
Just in case I was wrong ? Ha-Ha-Ha !

Re:Old Oil 9 years 11 months ago #102076

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Al, I'll drive to Lacrosse to take it off your hands. You don't want that dirty stuff sitting around in your garage taking up space :laugh:
Here's a plan. Give a 2oz bottle to an annoying neighbor to use in his leaf blower. If he's still using the blower after a few weeks you know it's good.
Attachments:

Re:Old Oil 9 years 11 months ago #102100

• All Dunn II
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Cal,
I like that idea. I have just the guy to give it to!! Just kidding. I think I am going to take a sample to a local oil distribution company and maybe talk to some guys at a reputable local parts house and see what they think. I hate to let it go to waste and I would hate to find out the hard way that I shouldn't have used it. I would hate to screw up that great 1150 merc that I bought from your nephew.
Bill

Re:Old Oil 9 years 11 months ago #102102

wonder if you can send it to one of those testing offices who test everything and just ask them if this is what the manufacturer says it is.. 2 cycle oil... spend a little and see you could have 30 gallons of one dollar bills...

billy

Re:Old Oil 9 years 11 months ago #102181

to check it it has moisture in it put some in a table spoon and heat it up. It should not boil; It will catch on fire first (reason for heat a table spoon instead of a qt) If it boils it has moisture in it

CAVU

Re:Old Oil 9 years 11 months ago #102220

• All Dunn II
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I got about a pint in a clear jar, and it looks clear of any debris and I don't see any obvious creamy streaks indicating moisture. I will try Tall Texan's trick, but I am planning on talking to a local oil supply company and see what they suggest. It is definitely worth spending any money on tests to find out.
Thanks for all of the suggestions and offers to take it off my hands!!!
Bill

Re:Old Oil 9 years 11 months ago #102248

• All Dunn II
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I stopped at a wholesale oil company here in town. The guy called someone at one of the places they get their oil from, and they were in agreement. They both said that with the age of the oil the additives have broken down and make it unusable as 2 cycle oil. There goes about $500 worth of oil. Anybody need some bar oil for their chainsaw? If you take any, you take it all!!!
Now I need to help the guy find a place to get rid of it. With that much,the recycling places will probably charge.

Bill

Re:Old Oil 9 years 11 months ago #102250

I got rid of 55 gallons of old motoroil over a two week period.
I filled a couple of milk gallon jugs, and dumped them every day at an Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, where ever they'd take it. Cost me nothing. Had to pass the places every day on my way to and from work.

Re:Old Oil 9 years 11 months ago #102251

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Al, You might remember wayyyyyy back when out outboards and even lawn mowers did not run on "2 cycle" oil. It wasn't until oil companies started adding the additives and manufacturers of outboards and other small engines made changes.
In the '50's and '60's oil/gas ratios for most OMC's Mercs et al was around 26:1. Mix 1 qt of regular motor oil to a six gallon tank of regular gas and you were good to go. What I'm saying is that maybe the additives have faded into oblivion but the base oil itself is probably good so I would not dump what you have but if you do give it away do so as like you say, "bar oil" or some other lube.
PS, glad to hear the 115 is working out for you.

Re:Old Oil 9 years 11 months ago #102256

• All Dunn II
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That was back in the days of using "white gas" in the old Mercs too. I believe that was regular gas with no additives. It is amazing how simple things were back then before additives and computers to control engines.
Bill

Re:Old Oil 9 years 10 months ago #102287

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I thought "white gas" was unleaded gas- wasn't lead added to gas back then a cheap octane booster?

Re: Old Oil 9 years 10 months ago #102292

Al Dunn ll,

Fwiw, that old 2-stroke oil works well when mixed up to half & half with diesel fuel to power diesel engines. = IF I wasn't so far away from you, I'd be "all over it" to run in an old Ford Navistar 160HP PU engine and/or our generator.
(Check out local "diesel heads" on the Internet & I'll bet that someone offers you $$ for it & will come pick it up, too.)

Incidentally, burning motor oil in a diesel engine is an EPA-approved method of disposing of it.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Old Oil 9 years 10 months ago #102298

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Guys its simple to me. I don't care what we make in the way of "additives" to natural a billion years old Dino oil, but anything man made nature will reclaim back to its original compounds in time, and not useful anymore intended. Is 10 year old oil still good? Hell ya! As its all about "Lubricity" Any oil better that no oil.

But using it could cause one simple "coked up motor", rings mostly that can not stay free to do the job intended. I'm damn sure aint no "chemist", but over the decades (well, we all who been into motors know well) the results.

And why anybody would buy a 30 gallon drum 2S oil with ONE motor? Thats way beyond me. Also why I never buy in bulk I won't use yearly. OK if a boat shop. We have one in town who does 55 G bulk barrels, bring your own jug, and cheaper than stores gallon one at a time. And its used up monthly.

And I had a quart 2S oil stuffed back bilge one my boats in case ran low gas and needed to hit a Marina. Probably 3/4 years just sitting back there. Same oil as always used, but simple the "color" has changed. Simple "recycle" it.

And that 10 year old 30 G oil? STILL good for other purposes, and has many uses for decades. PLUS the drum and pump has value also!

Here? I give my used oil to the tree service guys here as they when land clearing have 40 foot high brush piles to burn..(ya legal), and use it to "do the burn"

Toss what ya got C/L, and watch what happens. Lotta value there, and then? GO BUY NEW! Heck, I only use maybe 2 gallons top a year. Its the price gas my biggest problem!

Re:Old Oil 9 years 10 months ago #102299

• All Dunn II
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ya, white gas was regular with no additives - including lead and any other detergents and octane boosters.
I talked to a friend of mine that does a lot of wood cutting and he said that oil wasn't heavy or "sticky" enough to be very good for bar oil. He said it would be hard on both the bar and the chain.
Bill

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online