Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: new (to me) fishing boat - 1983 Cajun (project)

new (to me) fishing boat - 1983 Cajun (project) 9 years 11 months ago #101904

No pics at the moment I'll get some up as soon as possible.

A little background - I like to deer hunt at this local wildlife park (hunting encouraged by the state). There is a north and a south section - the river flooded last year & blew out the levy in the south part washing out the parking lot.

Having no money to fix it - they state closed it - access can now only be made by a 2 mile hike, or from the river - which is allowed.

So I started on my quest to find a VERY CHEAP jon boat/ fishing boat large enough to carry my chubby a$$ and any deer I want to bring home.

I didn't have much luck - cheap & boat usually means rotten or tiny.

Finally after 2 months of obsessively trolling craigslist in ever widening circles I found it.

1983 cajun 18.5 ft fishing boat - original trailer in excellent condition with a 115 hp evenrude - $400

There has to be a catch right? $400!!

So I drive 3 hours south with cash in hand & check out the boat - there are a couple of warning signs.

First - the lower unit is off. He says there is no prop, his old lady wont let him in the house to get the titles etc. etc.

On closer inspection - there are no holes - but the bottom has some nice deep scratches & the seam on the right side of the hull has popped open a bit.

I asked him if he was hurt when he crashed the boat......He said he got a DUI when he crashed the boat & poked a hold in the front of the lower unit - it still turns & isn't bent - but there is a hole that needs to be fixed - otherwise the engine is a good running, easy starting 115 (we shall see).

His lady kicked him out & wont let him go back in for the titles - but he swears he can get them next week (hahahaha - I'm not holding my breath)

In any case - I have a new to me 83 - with a bill of sale & a promise to deliver the titles - I dont really need the titles I can get a power of attourney signed & the state will transfer the title to me with that all the same.

So - anyone ever have a popped hull you needed to squeeze back together? The seam is open about 4ft just north of the driver seat. Only open a small amount & though its obvious if you look - it isn't open far - 1/2 inch maybe.

I think with a little adjusting & some marine epoxy I can have it fixed in a couple hours tops.

I'm more interested in the lower unit - any thoughts on what to do with that? I might as well put a new impeller on while its open. I'm curious how to plug the hole.

For all the perfectionists - I know this is crazy - but its a $400 deer dragger - I'm not looking for perfection - just function. I also dont wan't to drop a bunch of money into it - I have a nice 15hp tiller I can pony onto it & use the boat that way if I can't get the 115 up & going - but I bet I can.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What the heck did I get myself into? Free boats are never free!

Re:new (to me) fishing boat - 1983 Cajun (project) 9 years 11 months ago #101910

Much easier to assess with pics. ;)

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online