Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How many gallon of fuel do I get?

How many gallon of fuel do I get? 9 years 11 months ago #101843

• commando
  • commando's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I want to get a nice polish stainless steel fuel tank for the surflite.the sizes is 37"long x9"wide and 8"high.so how many gallon is it? I can restore boat but when it come to this kind of stuff I have no idea how to figure it out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:How many gallon of fuel do I get? 9 years 11 months ago #101845

• Doug Reeve
  • Away
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
37 x 9 x 8 = 2664 cubic inches. 231 cubic inches = 1 US gallon. 2664/231=11.53 gallons.

Re:How many gallon of fuel do I get? 9 years 11 months ago #101847

• commando
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks I wish I hade that knowledge ,so if I have a 1960 Merc 600 how many hrs will that fuel last ?i know it is a dum question but just a rough guess I just want need to know if there is enough fuel to last around 4-6hrs of use at medium speed.

Re:How many gallon of fuel do I get? 9 years 11 months ago #101851

Hmmm thta's a good question. You'd have to know what the burn rate is, unfortunately I don't. I'm sure someone here can help. I do know they aren't known for sipping gas.

Bob

Re:How many gallon of fuel do I get? 9 years 11 months ago #101854

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
There are quite a few variables in the equation, but I would think you're right in the ball park there. Prop pitch, boat weight, etc. would all have an effect on efficiency. My '62 Merc 700 would go through a 6 gal tank in about 2 1/2 to 3 hours at "cruising speed", running it hard would cut that in half.

Just remember that gas weighs about 6.2 lbs per gallon, so (almost) 12 gallons = 74.4 lbs. Adding more capacity adds more weight.....

Mark

Re: How many gallon of fuel do I get? 9 years 11 months ago #101855

One of the sites I use for this stuff as I am also challenged in this area!
www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/construction/tank.php

Re: How many gallon of fuel do I get? 9 years 11 months ago #101860

• billr
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Bill from Bill!
The old formula for gallons per hour at wide open throttle was HP/10=gallons per hour.
So 60/10=6gph. At wide open throttle.
The formula, in my experience, predicts you will burn more fuel than you will actually burn, which leaves you a little reserve fuel.
My old 115hp propshaft rated Mercury on my 20' Skagit would burn a 6 gallon tank in about 50 minutes at fast cruise. If I remember right I once held it at wot and want to say it ran a 6gal tank dry in 37 minutes, but that was awhile back. I think I have my old log book could check.

I think propshaft horsepower/10 is closer to actual fuel consumption for the old carbureted two stroke.
Remember you can't burn all the fuel in the tank, so with that tank you might have 10 useable gallons is my Guess. At wide open throttle, 10gal/6gph=1.66 hours at wide open throttle.
Everyone used to speculate and argue over fuel consumption, and we once did a "6 gallon challenge", where everyone left a dock at same time with a 6 gallon tank connected to motor. Everyone was surprised at how much fuel they actually burned, so it was a good learning experience in terms of fuel planning. For instance, I learned that in normal use, I needed a 6 gallon tank for every hour of my preferred cruise speed. I have never run out of gas and needed a tow.....

Re: How many gallon of fuel do I get? 9 years 11 months ago #101880

now that's some cool information.

Thanks Bill!

Re: How many gallon of fuel do I get? 9 years 11 months ago #101901

When you figure out what you might use in a day and get that. In my case I'm using my Honda at the moment and I filled the 3 gallon tank twice last year and dumped a gallon and a half in the atv last week from that. Hopefully I'll have my Johnnyrude ready in spring.

Re: How many gallon of fuel do I get? 9 years 11 months ago #101916

• commando
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
So if I got 10 g I can only last 2hrs or less ?dam I need a new propane motor .

Re: How many gallon of fuel do I get? 9 years 11 months ago #101919

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
commando wrote:

So if I got 10 g I can only last 2hrs or less ?dam I need a new propane motor .

That's at Wide Open Throttle Bill, cruising speeds WILL be considerably less gas burned!

Mark

Re:How many gallon of fuel do I get? 9 years 11 months ago #102022

For what it's worth - Permanent tanks only make sense on large boats that need big fuel storage. I think portable 6 Gal tanks are the best way to go on runabouts and small cabin boats. This is especially true if you are running a pre-mix for 2 cycle engines. When the boat is stored, the tanks can be removed. Also, topping off a permanently mounted tank with pre-mix is a pain in the ass, to say the least. You'd better know how much fuel and oil you are putting into that tank before you get started. Also, I have seen people accidentally put straight gasoline into a built-in tank and forget to add oil for the 2 cycle motor. Guys worry about not having a gas gauge on portable tanks. That isn't a big problem once you get used to the range and burn rate of the engine. Always take more fuel than you plan to use - in a completely separate tank. A good rule is to hit the water with no less than 2 main tanks, and one reserve tank you do not plan to use during a given outing. Next time out, use the "reserve" tank from last outing to keep it from going stale.

Bill is correct that the old carbureted 2 cycle engines are horrible pigs. Those of us that are used to them know this, but someone new to the world of vintage boating is horrified when they realize how much that little motor on the back of the boat can consume. Most of us don't drive our boats for hours on end, simply because we can't afford the price tag, or there isn't enough room in the boat for the gas tanks. When I had the Starflite 75 on my Reinell, I usually brought two 6 gal tanks and one 3 gal tank for backup. This would usually do me for a day of messing around. That much gas might give me 4 hours of run time on a real good day. But if you run at wide open - kiss 6 gal goodby in 60 min.

Re:How many gallon of fuel do I get? 9 years 11 months ago #102043

• commando
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
You are right,but to late I order a stainless tank already mostly just for look but I very sure I not using this boat most likely she be for sale when I finish restore her.i love restoring boat but using them maybe once on a test drive I'm happy.i have talked to my wife all money we get from this surflite I like to donate to children in Vietnam that are effect from the agent Orange chemical.

Re:How many gallon of fuel do I get? 9 years 11 months ago #102056

• Onkyo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
That is what is cool about this web site. You can learn so much from just asking what you think mite be a bum question. You Guys are Awesome.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online