Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trailer Question Please

Trailer Question Please 9 years 11 months ago #101784

• Chip
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello everyone. My wife and I recently purchased '73 MFG Gypsy. The trailer has the typical series of keel rollers and two bunks. The unique thing about this boat is that the keel is FLAT at the transom.

Please see photo. Is this the correct keel roller at the transom? It seems that there would be point loading on the roller flanges.

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Trailer Question Please 9 years 11 months ago #101785

At that point I think the bunks should be supporting most, if not all, of the weight at the transom. That roller should just be a guide for the keel as you are loading and unloading. The bunks should also come all the way under the transom to support the weight of the motor and prevent any hogging of the hull.
I may get corrected, but that is my view.
Bill

Re:Trailer Question Please 9 years 11 months ago #101786

yep....I agree....I like the bunks to stick out past the transom just a little, and that noched roller is good to keep the boat centered when loading....looks like the bunks are all the way down on the adjustment so you might want to make sure they are carrying most all the weight...john

Re:Trailer Question Please 9 years 11 months ago #101787

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
You may be able to move your winch stand forward a couple inches and scoot the boat up to put the transom on the bunks. (Might be easier than lengthening the bunk boards).

The flat part on the bottom of your hull is a "pad", helps get the hull up out of the water when planed out. Makes for less "wetted area", = higher speed & better handling - common in the Glastron/Carlson CVX series hulls among others. ;)

Mark

Re:Trailer Question Please 9 years 11 months ago #101789

• Chip
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks everyone. I jacked up the bunks slightly so most of the weight is on them (prior to this, the transom roller was compressed heavily).

As for the bunk length, the photo is taken at an odd angle. There is actually only 1/2" of the boat hanging over. Should I still be worried about this? and shift her forward?

Thanks again.

Re:Trailer Question Please 9 years 11 months ago #101791

I would shift it about 2 inches if it were mine and didn't have a lot of tongue weight, maybe just an inch if it does...john

Re:Trailer Question Please 9 years 11 months ago #101795

• MarkS
While I agree with the guys it's best to move it up a little if you can, it probably won't hurt anything to leave it where it's at if you can't make the change. Your transom should be around 1 1/2" think, so most of the weight should be picked up by the bunk boards the way it is. Safer to move it if you can, but maybe not that big of a deal if not.

Welcome aboard, by the way! ;) More pics?

Mark

Re:Trailer Question Please 9 years 11 months ago #101804

Chip,

WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Fwiw, just today I was "gifted with" a 1967 MFG CV-18 CONVAIR, that came all the way from IL to stay in SATX.
(I'm thinking that we MFG owners/fans NEED to start a marque club for MFG.)

Fyi, I agree on shifting the boat about 2 inches forward AND most everything else said, too.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Trailer Question Please 9 years 11 months ago #101813

• Chip
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'll probably end up drilling new mount holes on the bottom of the bunks to shift them back a tad, just to be safe.

She's in pretty good shape with the exception of the 'G' missing in 'MFG'. Got her running. Here's an action photo haha! Idles high, then perfect for about 30sec, then stalls??!! Any ideas? I will probably clean the carbs and replace fuel pump over winter.
Attachments:

Re:Trailer Question Please 9 years 11 months ago #101819

• MarkS
Looks good Chip, nice score! I know the gang here gets tired of hearing me say it, but a full fuel system service (including new hoses) is a "must" IMHO. Lots of folks with vast knowledge here always willing to help with tips and advise, help sourcing parts, etc..

Mark

Re:Trailer Question Please 9 years 11 months ago #101858

• Chip
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Mark. I'm on board with your 'entire fuel system' approach. Years back we had a bulb that had a very small slit in it near the fitting. Chased our tales for weeks.

So, I ended up shifting the winch forward about an inch per suggestion by someone in a previous post. About 1/2" of the bunks are now exposed behind the transom. Thanks for the help! I'll have to check the tongue weight, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Re:Trailer Question Please 9 years 5 months ago #109203

• Chip
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
MarkS wrote:

Looks good Chip, nice score! I know the gang here gets tired of hearing me say it, but a full fuel system service (including new hoses) is a "must" IMHO. Lots of folks with vast knowledge here always willing to help with tips and advise, help sourcing parts, etc..

Thanks for this! I found some seriously dry rotted fuel line from the connector at the motor to the carbs. Replaced it all. Hoping to get the carbs back on and fire it up this weekend!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online