Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community.

Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101287

• Eduardo
  • Eduardo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
......because of the people we meet. Last weekend, there was an annual charity event hosted by our city's largest Marina, The Sacramento Marina, which is just about 2 miles from my home. There were many other boat clubs, local brand Keaton boats, Glastron Carlson boats, a beautifully restored '65 Riva, and racing boats, and every year the Sacramento Marina ask the Golden State Glassics if we would like to show our old boats during the Vessels and Vines event, and every year we gladly ablige. So I asked a few friends and we enjoyed a great night of live music, wine drinking, art show, food trucks, and a variety of boats. Most of all just talking old boats in general. Great day and evening with many people in attendance and for a good cause, a local Girls Sea Scouts.

1959 Dorsett Belmont

My friend Norm's '54 Crestliner aluminum boat, which is also for sale by the way. Norm did a great job restoring this old boat with all original wood.

For you Glastron Carlson fans

Wild Bill's Amphicar
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101288

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
A couple of vintage wood boats.

1965 Riva

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101289

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
...this is my friend's '55 Aristocraft Torpedo, Kent and Lydia. Purchased 3 years ago, Kent just finished restoring the Aristocraft just this past year. Originally from SoCal, Lake Arrowhead, this was the same model boat that his father used to own. He is also the 3rd generation owner of this '56 Chevy Nomad, originally purchased in Sacramento. His grandfather and father saved all the documents, receipts, and history of this cool wagon including old vintage pictures and stuff. Really cool.

I like this old Tee Nee decal. This was the original decal when Kent bought the boat, trailer, and motor.
Attachments:

We don't see this very often... 9 years 11 months ago #101290

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
especially on the west side, a '55 Larson Falls Flyer.

A couple of classic 1955 boats

People have never seen or heard of a Falls Flyer before, well the folks attending the event that is.
Attachments:

Group Picture 9 years 11 months ago #101291

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
From L to R: Eduardo, Kent, Norm, John, Mercedes, Lydia, Randy, & George
Attachments:

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101292

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
So while we talked to the public about our boats and answering any questions they may have, we run into a gentleman and his parents. He shares his love for vintage fiberglass boats because he has one, a very nice restored 1960 Glastron Fireflite, painted the same color as his '55 Chevy 2 door post, which by the way was also his father's car. He shared his pictures with us and we, especially me, enjoyed talking to him and his parents. You may know this gentleman. His name is Roger and currently resides in Arkansas. Originally from California, he was in town visiting relatives and he happens to check out this year's Vessels and Vines event. He is also a member here on FG, goes by the name of Beamer85. Anyway, it was really nice meeting and talking with you Roger.
I've met several very nice gentlemen already within this hobby, whether it was in person, by phone, or by email, meeting people for the first time like Roger, is another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. Every single old boat guy and gal that I have met are all very cool and very nice folks.

This is Roger (Beamer85) from Arkansas

And this is Roger's '60 Glastron and '55 Chevy

A touch of California flavor

Thanks for looking.

Eduardo and Mercedes

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101298

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Those first pix! Friend mine had the same 23 Glastron/Carlson back in the day. And my dad had a Amphicar too! Drove it and splashed it when I was only 15! Lotta fun! Cool pix!

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101304

Great post Eduardo, thank you for sharing all the pictures of the Vessels and Vines event. Especially fascinated by the Tee Nee trailers. I had never heard of them before, on the lookout now!
Talk to you soon, Roger

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101306

Another reason why I enjoy this classic community, is because people like you post photos and information about unique and very desirable classic boats (and tow-cars) for us all to see.

It is hard to imagine that here in Australia we will ever see boats such as the Falls Flyer (or any Larson), Aristocraft, Glastron-Carlson, Switzer, etc.

Thank you for making the effort.

Ken

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101309

Outstanding pics and event Eduardo, thanks for sharing!

Bob

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101313

Thanks for sharing Eduardo, looks like an amazing time . Great pictures. this is a great community !!!!

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101318

Thanks Eduardo for sharing. This is the best reason for getting involved. Well, actually using the boats is the best reason!

Andreas

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101338

Wow Thankyou very much for Sharing those Awesome Pictures. Really enjoyed it.

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101354

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Robby321 wrote:

Those first pix! Friend mine had the same 23 Glastron/Carlson back in the day. And my dad had a Amphicar too! Drove it and splashed it when I was only 15! Lotta fun! Cool pix!

Thanks Robby. In 2009, there was a National Meet held in Sacramento, probably about 12 all together. So my wife and I went out and checked them out. We are glad we did. Pretty cool vehicles. Here is a short video I took of the few that were there.

Eduardo

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101356

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
beamer85 wrote:

Great post Eduardo, thank you for sharing all the pictures of the Vessels and Vines event. Especially fascinated by the Tee Nee trailers. I had never heard of them before, on the lookout now!
Talk to you soon, Roger

Roger, as a fan of vintage boat trailers, I say the one you have there under the Glastron Fireflite is pretty damn cool. You don't see this type of trailer that often. BTW, you did an excellent job on the restoration. Yes, Tee Nee are very popular and I do like them a lot, but I wouldn't mind owning a trailer like yours as well.

Eduardo

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101359

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Gentlemen, I'm glad to share stories of anything boating and especially vintage boating. Absolutely, this is a wonderful community and Andreas, I can't agree with you more.

There is more to come on our road trip to Central Texas from California.

Eduardo

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101360

The BEST part of this site is: The GREAT members.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101362

• MarkS
Eduardo wrote:

Gentlemen, I'm glad to share stories of anything boating and especially vintage boating. Absolutely, this is a wonderful community and Andreas, I can't agree with you more.

There is more to come on our road trip to Central Texas from California.

Eduardo

We'll be looking forward to that Eduardo, always enjoy your contributions here any and every time you come by! Thank You.

Mark

A Thank You note... 9 years 11 months ago #101667

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
...from SSS Liberty I received yesterday in the mail thanking us for participating in the 2014 Vessels and Vines. Again thanks to the guys for coming out and giving your day for this charity event. On the front of the Thank You card is a group picture of the entire Girls Sea Scouts in front of the SSS Liberty. It was definitely a nice surprise to receive such a card.
Attachments:

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101677

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Eduardo wrote:

Robby321 wrote:

Thanks Robby. In 2009, there was a National Meet held in Sacramento, probably about 12 all together. So my wife and I went out and checked them out. We are glad we did. Pretty cool vehicles. Here is a short video I took of the few that were there.

Eduardo

Had a LOT of fun with the AC. Use to load up us kids, hit the door lock, down the hill and big splash in the water. Engage the props, toot the horn, turn signal on, and away we go! Other side the lake was a horse farm, with a sandy beach. Treed in and no way to get any vehicle in there from land. So we ran up and put tire tracks all over and took off back the water! Some one had to se it later from land and say "WTF", how the hell did a car get in here? Plus sometimes going to the lake resort, dad would tow some other boat he had (him and my older brother had many)so my mom had to drive the AC there. Thing is, she could drive a "3 on the tree", but she didn't adapt well to the "floor shift "H" pattern. So she drive, and I'd say "clutch", and I shifted! Just to funny thinking it now! Great mems! And it the pix, dad fabbed a sheet metal "flap", over the props as in town, got tired always getting pulled over as a "what is that thing"?
Attachments:

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101731

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Event reports like this, especially events that reoccur, need to move into a category of their own. Event organizers could add info also. So we can browse and find things to attend. It should go on the calender as well. This would be too cool to miss if you live close enough. I wouldn't.

Boats: 76 Chrysler Conqueror S3, 61 Larson Playmate. Outboards: 76 Chrysler 105, 70 Chrysler 70, 57 Evinrude Bigtwin 35, 80 Johnson 35 looper, 74 Chrysler 45, 67 Mercury 650SS, and others.

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101737

Great photos Eduardo. I once owned a nice 55 Chevy, not quite as cherry as that post model though. Some really nice boats. Not being a real big event guy, I like the present location of the post. I'm much more likely to see and enjoy when posted to the main forum. I visit every day. Just mho.

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101768

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well, as tossed my back out again, kinda parked puter and bored. But have to share a story of the "demise" of the CV23 third pic, same as my friends boat (I bought his Switzercraft SS17. XS1500 Merc) Pic repeated here, but NOT the same boat.

So back in Illinois Chain of lakes, late October we do a "last blast" down the Fox River. Perfect "Indian Summer" day, smokey leaves burning people houses waterfront, very few boats out.

Go down close to the locks and turn around back, and call it a "fun summer" So Glenn driving, me left seat, Gary in the back Glenns side just enjoying the ride. Glenn was a "gearhead animal", and could drive anything. But he had fun with the jet, as not worried any prop in the water. So theres a bunch ducks, and he nails it to scare'em off right side the river.

Then as we were cooking over 60, things kinda went silent. Thought Glenn simple laid off the throttle, but then I looked over and he was sawing the wheel, look of fear on his face.

I wasn't before paying much attention and Gary in back could see zip in front and clueless until the last moment. Next thing I knew, the motor simple up and QUIT! As very little steering a jet without power. But then I look up and about 100 yards ahead middle river just idling along was a 25 foot houseboat! (OK, here we go!)

So boat slowing down and we were headed for a direct hit. Glenns frantically whipping the wheel around to get some steering, and I jumped up and was about to bail out overboard right side behind Glenns seat, and Gary still clueless all the commotion going on! Boat finally settled down, and the tiny fin the jet nozzle got some grip and lucky the wheel was cranked full Port. So we were probably doing 30 or so, and WHAM, slammed into the HB there Starboard front, our Starboard middle side. Good thing I didn't bail or might not be telling ya this.

Go Gary all 220 pound him, slams into me, and we slam into Glenn!

So the outcome? Nobody hurt us, just sore from being slammed around, and boat still floating. Now the Houseboat people? A guy and his girlfriend (we were all in our 30s, middle 1980's) were the only two on the boat. No injuries. More on them a bit. He towed us back to a shore bar close there and we start to get our "wits collected".

Well, we beached the boat at the boat launch, they parked the dock. Cops called, friends back the house called to bring the trailer out to us and we settled down in the bar for a beer.

Well seems when we hit them he was in the galley making a sandwich, and she was on the "Head". NEVER SAW US COMING!

We go look at there boat and then inside. Sandwich making stuff all over, but when we saw the "Head"? She was just reaching for the "TP"..(talk about getting caught with "pants down") and the whole roll was all over as she was tossed out the head!! Looked like someone "TP'ed" the boat!

Way to funny thinking it now, as it was then us as we had to find some humor in this!

INS took care of damage, cops said "ya sure ya all OK? and left.

Well, found out he rode motorcycles, as us and we all ended up good friends after! And always for "stories to share.."the day" But on Glenns boat?

Never saw water again. Whole boat was "twisted", motor sitting cocked sideways as broke the stringer mounts, simple only good for the 460 motor now. I was surprised how solid the hull was as thinking it now it should have cracked in half! And the house boat? Damn, like hitting a 56 Buick with a light M/C...little FG work and like new.

Sorry if hijacking the thread, but had to share the "day" as I see the old boats and seem to have a mem of many, before they were called "old" Heck, I remember me too 30 some plus years ago too and yep! Loved every minute life so far and still at it, but I'm starting to feel like a old worn out "56 Buick" myself! Still running, but slow! Pic the boat..(and my old Harley Bagger background)
Attachments:

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101846

My reason,love seeing others old boats being found make me want to stare in everyone property when I'm driving around.share my project I'm working on and have feed back and comments make me want to finish it to the end.and most of all keep me away from Facebook hooking up with women I don't know.hahaha wife like me on this site more cause she sale of my boats after I restore it.i love working on them but honestly I never use my boat.

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101881

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Normspeed wrote:

Great photos Eduardo. I once owned a nice 55 Chevy, not quite as cherry as that post model though. Some really nice boats.

Thanks Normspeed, I know folks on hear like to see pictures. I'm one of them.

Eduardo

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101882

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Robby, thanks for sharing those cool old pictures of the Amphicar. Good memories I'm sure. I was watching Fast n Loud and they had an episode on the Amphicar. They go for pretty good money. And the two Glastron boats look identical.

Eduardo

Re:Another reason why I enjoy this glassic community. 9 years 11 months ago #101883

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
commando wrote:

My reason,love seeing others old boats being found make me want to stare in everyone property when I'm driving around.share my project I'm working on and have feed back and comments make me want to finish it to the end. i love working on them but honestly I never use my boat.

Bill, I hear you. I do the same even when traveling on the road. Good to see you back. I know I'm not the only one, but you do some incredible work restoring these glassics.

Eduardo

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online