Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210

1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 1 day ago #101182

Hi everyone,

Last month I traded a kid a non-running 8500w generator, a SigPro 2340 pistol and $100 for a 1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210. This kid had the boat all of one month. He bought it from the neighbor of the original owner, who had kept it in climate-controlled storage for 20+ years.

I have all of the manuals for it, including the Owner's Log, which shows an entry the original owner made in 1979; he changed the oil and logged that the boat had 90hrs...it now has 163hrs.

There are ZERO soft spots; the original carpet looks brand new; it has the optional rear bench seat and all of the seats are in excellent condition, with no rips.

The Chevrolet 307 is still painted battleship gray. The kid I got it from decided to replace some wiring with Romex and I'm amazed he didn't burn it to the ground.

Here is a picture.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
1969 OMC Evinrude Rogue II 210
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 1 day ago #101185

I'm guessing that, since I have less than a certain amount of posts, I can only post one pic per post.

Here's another.
Attachments:

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re: 1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 1 day ago #101187

Frederic Lynes,

WELCOME ABOARD. = NICE RIG, too.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: 1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 1 day ago #101189

satx78247 wrote:

Frederic Lynes,

WELCOME ABOARD. = NICE RIG, too.

yours, satx

Thanks!

If there is such a thing as a barn find for boats, I've got one. I've already replaced the master cylinder on the original surge actuated brake system on the Evinrude trailer. I also replaced the rubber hoses, the reverse lockout solenoid, rebuilt the aluminum calipers and blew out the hard lines....have you ever seen congealed brake fluid? It's pretty gross.

All of the original trailer lights and reflectors were replaced with NOS originals. I also managed to find new 6.50-10 10-ply tires, as well as new tubes....it still has the original 1969 Goodyear Super Rib tires on it right now. I've begun restoring the split-rim wheels, which were built by General Tire & Rubber Co. and are held together with 10 bolts and Nylock nuts. I used a 36-grit flapwheel and repainted with Duplicolor Silver Wheel paint.

Lastly, I've been hunting for NOS replacement engine harnesses; I was able to find the yellow harness, which connects to the tilt solenoids and bilge pump/blower motor, but the black connector eludes me, so it looks like I'll have to take the existing harness apart and rebuild it from scratch.
Attachments:

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 1 day ago #101190

I also just received an NOS 12-hole transom boot, which I was lucky enough to find on eBay, courtesy of a member from the OMC Boats site. The original boot is still intact, but it's nice to know that I won't have to re-power for years to come.
Attachments:

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 1 day ago #101191

Engine compartment.
Attachments:

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 1 day ago #101192

The NOS yellow harness.
Attachments:

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re: 1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 1 day ago #101193

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome aboard, That is the very first boat I ever restored many years ago. Had a Buick V6 with OMC 800 outdrive. Good stable boat, nice find. You can post multiple pictures on one string by submitting your post and then click "edit" and add another picture. You can do this almost forever, We like lots of pictures :laugh:

Re: 1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 1 day ago #101195

Ah ha! Excellent.

One of the reasons I got this boat, other than what I got it for, is that I love the handling characteristics of the Evinrude/Johnson Gullwings.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 1 day ago #101196

Okay, more pics. In the last pic, you can see the restored teak swim platform. It was gray, so I used 80-grit with my Dremel Multi-Max and then saturated it with Watco Teak Oil.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 1 day ago #101197

Front compartment. An option, in 1969, was a head that flushed thru-hull. Thankfully, the original owner didn't get it, because they were outlawed in '72.
Attachments:

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 1 day ago #101198

Aside from replacing the Romex house wiring with correct tinned copper wire, I've only had to replace three light bulbs. The bulk of the work has been to the trailer, which I also had to rewire, at least the front part, back to the original 5-wire plug. I also had to rebuild the bilge pump/blower motor (last pic...it's all one unit), because the kid I got it from decided to change the oil and drained it right into the bilge....that was fun to clean up! The 2nd pic is of the cabin light, under the driver's side. Yes, the cigar lighter still works and has never been used!
Attachments:

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 1 day ago #101201

The kid I got it from didn't know how to work the brass petcock at the fuel tank, which allows fuel to flow to the fuel pump; he boogered it up, so I had to rebuild it. Barkeeper's Friend is a great item, to clean brass, copper or most metals. Got everything cleaned up and put it back together. I also replaced the original 1969 1/4" fuel hose with stouter new 5/16" hose.

The master cylinder for the surge actuator, by the way, is the exact same as the one for a 1965 Jeep CJ-5, so if you need a new one, do not pay the ludicrous amount that boat stores are asking. Instead of $135, I paid $45 for the original Raybestos, but the new ones are made in China now.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 1 day ago #101202

Fred,
Welcome aboard, great find and it sounds like you've done quite a bit of work on her already. She looks great and should really move.

Bob

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 1 day ago #101205

Thank you, Bob. With the 14"x16P prop, according to the brochure, she'll do 41MPH. I don't know that I ever want to get her going that fast, but it's nice to know.

Here's a video of me starting her up. It's not a very long video, because she ran out of fuel.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 1 day ago #101214

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Awesome score Fred, congrats! (And welcome aboard)

Mark

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 10 years 15 hours ago #101234

Thank you, Mark. I get more and more excited about splashing "Ole's Legacy" next Spring.

Today I got new Evinrude emblems, or pennants, for the boat. There are two on each side, one red and one black.

I also got a new plug for the outdrive.
Attachments:

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101333

New tires came in last night. I mounted one and then did the other today. Spare still needs to be done, but sanding and repainting the wheel is time-consuming and is a bit hard on my back, but the results are well worth it.
Attachments:

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101347

My NOS tilt solenoid/bilge-blower harness arrived this afternoon, so I installed it. Altogether, it took me about 30 minutes to take the old harness off and install the new one.....night and day difference. The old harness was crunchy and done.

Now all I need to do is either find an NOS engine harness, OMC #383339. One thing I've learned from the restoration game is to "NEVER THROW YOUR OLD PARTS AWAY"! :laugh: While the wires are unusable, you never know when the plastic connectors might come in handy.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101374

Sweet! Congrats, nice find!

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101448

whatsleft wrote:

Sweet! Congrats, nice find!

Thanks!

THE TRAILER IS DONE!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I dropped it off at the trailer shop yesterday. This morning they called me to tell me that the passenger's side caliper was leaking....crap!!!!! I jumped in the truck and raced down there to see a puddle of brake fluid under the wheel....damn damn damn. I immediately knew what had happened....in my haste to reassemble that side, I pinched the o-ring and it split.

I went down to a supply shop that sells o-rings and they gave me two new #329 o-rings, which they insisted were the right size...more on that later.

I was only able to get one side installed, and I had to use a hose clamp around the piston, to get it to go in the caliper, without pinching. Got the driver's side bled, but the passenger's side would yield no fluid.

I took the trailer home, super glued the old o-ring and measured it...1-7/8"ID, 2-1/4"OD, 3/16" thickness....not a #329, but rather the dimensions for a #328....crap, crap, crap. Off to a different store.

After three stores, I finally got two new #328 o-rings. Went home, got out the tools and got everything changed out. When I tried bleeding the caliper, nothing. No fluid, nothing at all. I took the caliper apart....again.... and carefully examined the bleeder. It was clogged. Again, in my haste to assemble that caliper, I unclogged the bottom bleeder but didn't unclog the top bleeder. Yes, there are two bleeder screws, because the calipers are interchangeable to either side.

I finally got the bleeder screw unclogged, reassembled the piston in the caliper and bled it.....SUCCESS!!!!

So now the trailer is good to go. I do need to add a safety chain to the bow eye, because there is none...relying on the winch to keep everything snug is not my idea of safe.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101461

Hey that sounds like one of my adventures! Glad you got it all back to normal.

Bob

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101465

Waterwings wrote:

Hey that sounds like one of my adventures! Glad you got it all back to normal.

Bob

Every day is an adventure in the Lynes household, Bob! :laugh:

All kidding aside, I'm glad I got everything back to normal too. I'm a bit OCD and not taking care of it immediately would have caused lack of sleep. When there's an issue, I like to resolve it ASAP.

I was going to mount the new Evinrude emblems I got from a www.omcboats.org member, but I woke up with a cold, so it's sit-in-the-big-comfy-brown-chair Saturday.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101513

I just spoke to the original owner's granddaughter tonight. The kid I got it from didn't really know the full history of the boat, but I found a yellow sticky in the Owner's Manual that had a name on it, a part that had been ordered and the price, along with the year 1983.

On a hunch, I googled the name....turns out that he was a local petroleum tycoon, and I found his obituary; he had passed away in 2000. The obituary listed family members, so I went on Facebook and found his granddaughter. I sent her a pic of the boat and asked her if her grandfather was the same person as the name on the yellow sticky I had.

She immediately recognized the boat, confirmed that her grandfather was the original owner, and she told me that she spent time on it when she would go visit her grandparents at their lake house at Lake Buchanan, in Texas. She told me that he was a very meticulous man who always took care of the things he owned, so that explains the reason the boat is in such great condition. He was 61 years old, when he bought it.

This is where the story changes....the kid I got it from told me that the original owner had passed away and his neighbor got the boat....She told me that her grandfather sold the boat in 1985, but she couldn't remember to whom he sold it....maybe he sold it to his neighbor, who knows?

She was pleased that I had the boat and told me that her grandfather is smiling, knowing that someone as meticulous as him is now caring for it.

She's going to find pics of it, when it was newer and send them to me; I'll post them, as soon as I get them.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101521

Outstanding, it's always a great feeling when you can get the whole story behind the boat. It makes it that much more fun. ;)

Bob

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101576

I finally got the spare wheel sanded and painted; I'll mount the new tire on tomorrow.

The mooring cover came in today. I ordered from West Marine. It's a Taylor Made cover, custom made for a 19' Tri-Hull....it's a perfect fit and would be even more perfect, if the anchor light wasn't on top of the windshield.

I took the boat to the carwash, cleaned the hell out of it, then took it home...Brooke and I cleaned the inside thoroughly, vacuumed it, wiped the plastic and rubber down with Meguiar's Rubber & Vinyl Protectant. I even decided to try some on the red and blue stripes and they shined right up.

The cover is navy blue and is a perfect Evinrude Blue match.

I'll take pictures tomorrow and post them.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101585

Cool can't wait to see them.

Bob

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101594

Spare mounted, mooring cover on, ready to go to Idaho!

We move in about two weeks.
Attachments:

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101604

Nice all strapped down and ready to go.

Bob

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101607

I have to say that I am really impressed with the way the Taylor Made cover fits. It would be an absolute perfect fit, if the anchor light wasn't mounted on top of the windshield.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101609

Is it something you can easily remove for storing and long trailering trips, the light that is?

Bob

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101610

Waterwings wrote:

Is it something you can easily remove for storing and long trailering trips, the light that is?

Bob

I haven't really looked at it closely enough to make that determination, Bob, but I suspect that it is mounted permanently to the windshield.

That's something I'll have to look at, when the cover is taken off in the Spring.

In the meantime, the hunt is on for that NOS OMC engine harness, #383339. If anyone has a lead on one, please don't hesitate to let me know! It's not that I don't know how to make one...my Dad was an engineer at Westinghouse for 20 years (he designed the AN/APG-66 and AN/APG-68 for the F-16), and he taught me enough about electronics to be dangerous :laugh: ...I would rather buy the NOS premade harness and save myself the headache.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101635

Yeah roger that. Keep an eye out of e-bay you might get lucky.

Bob

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101642

Got a call from the realtor, our closing date is next Thursday! I'm going to take the boat and the CJ-5 over to a friend's house, to keep in storage. We'll be leaving right after closing; I'll be driving the U-Haul with the BMW on the car trailer and Brooke will be driving the F350, towing the horse trailer with our two horses.

Once we get up to Idaho, we'll get settled in at Dad's house, get the kids enrolled in school and then turn around and come back to Texas with the King Ranch to get the boat; Brooke will tow it and I'll drive the CJ-5.

Fun fun. I'll be off the grid for a little bit, unless there's a FG mobile app. Otherwise, I'll talk to you guys in a couple of weeks.

Frederic

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101648

Wow well aren't you going to be busy! lol Good luck with it all and drive safe.

Bob

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101649

Thanks, Bob!

I'm excited about getting up there and watch our house being built. Brooke sketched it and I drew it on the computer.
Attachments:

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101658

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Nice layout but.......the garage is too small. Please tell me you have a pole building planned for toys :laugh:

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101662

LOL! There is already a building on the property for the toys.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101686

Very cool, wait no master bed room fireplace?! LOL

Bob

Re:1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210 9 years 11 months ago #101692

Actually, Bob, that's not a bad idea! I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to put one in.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.326 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT