Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: To customise or not?

To customise or not? 10 years 1 week ago #100721

So I have an old glastron that I am getting ready to redo. It is just so plain that I have been thinking I might want to do something custom with the seating rather then just standard back to back seats.I am thinking of redoing it in wood grain benches with walk through backs and redoing all the vinal stuff in just wood? I am not looking to put it in shows. I just want something a little different.does anyone ever see this kind of changes or do most just redo with new cookie cutter stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:To customise or not? 10 years 1 week ago #100722

It's your boat. Make it the way you want. You'll be much happier that way.

Re:To customise or not? 10 years 1 week ago #100725

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
X2 what Chuck said.

Re:To customise or not? 10 years 1 week ago #100726

One of the best things about restoring an old boat is that you get to build it to suit your tastes and needs.

I'm going to be restoring a vintage classic '67 MFG Corvette CV 15, it's an old closed bow ski/runabout. I don't care for the wasted space of a closed bow and will be removing it and going back with a bow deck instead. Some of the purists may consider this blasphemy, I consider it breathing life into an old rotten and forgotten boat.

Re:To customise or not? 10 years 1 week ago #100747

I was thinking the same thing but realized... It's my boat... Not going to put into a show but I want it to fit me and my tastes. So I am going to modify and incorporate to my taste.

Make it your own, you are rebuilding it..

Re:To customise or not? 10 years 1 week ago #100760

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
GO FOR IT!
I'm a firm believer in doing your own boat your way.
I redid a '72 Shell Lake that was trash, topside was so warped out of shape I couldn't even make a pattern. I did a complete re-do of the interior using Honduran mahogany. Now I get thumbs up.
Attachments:

Re:To customise or not? 10 years 1 week ago #100835

To make it more interesting for yourself, you could look at the project with the eye of a customizer from that era...

Im doing a 57 boat and Im using only 57 or older custom parts..ie steering wheel , trailer lights, running gear.

Everything should be your vision...just for the fun of it...The best measure is uncovering it at the launch and thinking to yourself...damn that is a cool ride!!! Oh yeah and I own it. AWESOME.

Best of Luck and skills

Re:To customise or not? 10 years 1 week ago #100836

I would custom it that's what I'm doing to mine.since you spend so much time and money might as well doing it the way you like yet it all have to be nice and look original in away so everyone think that is how they use to make it.

Re:To customise or not? 10 years 1 week ago #100839

It is your so do as you please. Now if we were talking about a super rare boat I would restore to original. If I even had a nice starting point I might do that now. But my Winner was a huge MESSSS with 4 S's. But my MFG had no original parts except the hull. It was all built for fishing.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online