Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: windshields

windshields 10 years 3 weeks ago #100255

I'm looking for some help finding a windshield for my 1957 herters flying fish. I tried emailing the taylormade windshields in the glassifieds but the response I got was that they sold out. I'm getting down to putting things back together so maybe i'll try to get some pictures posted as well
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:windshields 10 years 3 weeks ago #100272

Hello Al, I'm in Kittanning. :lol:

Re:windshields 10 years 3 weeks ago #100288

Nice to meet you Robert. At least I know someone is nice and close if I run into any issues.

Re:windshields 10 years 3 weeks ago #100309

Yes---I too was hoping the windshields in the glassifieds were still there...

I am exploring making my own out of lexan....they bend it with no heat at the shop....Going to check into it.

Anyone have experience making there own?? I have the old shield as a pattern.

Thanks.

Re:windshields 10 years 3 weeks ago #100320

The windshields that I had in the glassifieds are still there, but only available in the larger sizes, 70" and 72" tip to tip and some larger ones in the 84" range.

I never really had any of the smaller ones. I've been told some people are having trouble getting through with the website email, so you can email me direct at dave-dcc(at)hotmail(dot)com.
Attachments:

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:windshields 10 years 2 weeks ago #100526

Hey Al, I made my own windshield last year...used the original cracked windshield as a cast for a fiberglass mold. First, I sprayed down the inside of the windshield with cooking spray and then put down a layer of wax paper...then Layered fiberglass and resin on the inside of the windshield and let it set up. Removed the mold and stiffened it using resin and filler followed by a frame made of wooden yard sticks resined into the back of the mold. I filled and faired it and then took it to a guy that did a drape mold using acrylic. He had just the right sized oven to Handel it. I got the new windshield home and had to trim it using a hand cutting tool I bought at Home Depot for a few bucks. Then, I fitted it into the original aluminum frame. It took many hours and some extra help from a friend but we got it done and everyone seems to like the finished result! It CAN be done!

Dreams do become reality!

Re:windshields 10 years 2 weeks ago #100609

Make Your Own Curved Windshield for $100
This guy has a 1993 Mariah Diablo that had a broken windshield when he bought it. He could have had an original glass replacement for a mere $3885. A plastic's company could have provided him one if he sent them the window frame and 8 weeks later and around $6-700.

He removed the left front window as they are the same size. He placed double sided tape on the windshield, applied construction paper and traced around the outside edge. He removed the construction paper and cut around the edges including the pencil line. He now had a template for the new window....figure 1.

Next He took small pieces of duct tape and placed them on the inside/outside edge of the left front window. He then took 1x8 boards and cut them to align with the curvature of the window. He numbered these 1, 2, 3, & 4. He then measured how far apart each board is from the one next to it. Beings you are constructing the opposite sided window...when you go to construct this form, the one on the top is now the one on the bottom as you will be flipping this form over. This took him about 3 hours to measure.....trim...and construct. It helps to have spare pieces of lumber and an air nailer. Figure 2.

He then placed his paper template on the form and traced around the outside edge, so he'd know where the edges should line up when they are heated. Figure 3.

He contacted a glass company and they cut out a template using marine grade plexiglas (1/4 inch thick) for $60. He then used spring clamps and attached the glass to the flat edge of the form. He bought a heat gun and started heating away. Do NOT buy the cheapest Heat Gun. Get a (Wagner) for $40 dollars. Place the glass in the mold at the curved edge. Clamped it with a 1x2 and start to heat away. You have to heat with the curve, going top to bottom.
Plexiglas melts at 250 degrees. Set the gun at it's highest setting. Go back and forth about an inch from the glass. If you nick the glass with the gun it will leave a scar, it will buff out later. The weight of the other end is all it takes for the glass to lay down as it heats up. Don't bother trying to clamp it, if it is not bent all the way..clamping will not bend it further. You may want to clamp it when you are done so it keeps its shape as it cools. You may hear a slight cracking sound as it heats and that is normal. It takes patience and 3 hours to complete this step.
Making your mold from aluminum sheeting might be easier. Put it in the frame and solder the mold in place. The window did need a minor adjustment with the very back upward corner. It is in the boat. Last figure.

The glass was $60, heatgun $40, 1 x 8 lumber $10. Probably 12 hours labor. Saving thousands or hundreds of dollars.....It was worth all the time and money!!!!

OR

forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair/591237-a-new-windshield-for-an-old-boat

Re:windshields 10 years 2 weeks ago #100619

Hey guys only thanks for the info. Only bad part is I have no frame to go with. It was never there when I got the boat. Anyone ever try to cut down like a 70" wide windshield and have any luck sizing it down?

Re:windshields 10 years 2 weeks ago #100621

The link in the last post shows how to make your own frame.

Re:windshields 10 years 2 weeks ago #100628

Thank you. i was just looking over that looks like the route i am going to try. i'll try to post some updates as i go

Re:windshields 10 years 2 weeks ago #100705

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Here is a 62" windshield on Ebay...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online