Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Flotation foam placement and drainage questions

Flotation foam placement and drainage questions 10 years 4 weeks ago #100026

Greetings FiberGlassics team,

Long time browser, first time post. Hopefully this section is the right place to ask.

Brief intro... Grew up going to the Lake of the Ozarks, and found my love of the old runabouts as my Grandfather had a Redfish which I barely remember but we always enjoyed watching all the classics. A few years back I landed a 1966 Larson All American Lapline 16' with a Mercury 950SS. Fast forward to last weekend, she is home again and soon fiberglassing materials will be on the way, just need to figure out foam so I can combine shipping costs as my materials list is long!

Topic 1:
Originally the boat had foam stringers glassed in with 1x10's laid flat with the decking on top of that. My current plan Is to put in traditional stringers in for the rebuild. The under deck cavity is not going to be useful in size for storage locker or anything. After reading some of the USCG information, they speak about spacing the buoyancy properly bow to stern and port to starboard based on calculated weight and distribution of the weight. Other than cost, are there any negative issues with filling the entire cavity with foam (more flotation and better floor support is my goal)? Should be less than 20 cubic feet of foam.

Topic 2:
The factory floor was built with drainage however the design had flaws and moisture was trapped in many areas so I want to make sure to improve.

Some time back and somewhere in the www, I saw a thread where the rebuilder built drainage indentions in to the foam. Basically tubing was placed in the cavities where they wanted moisture to collect, then plastic was put down in the cavity prior to pouring the foam in. Once cured, they were able to remove the foam so the tubing forms could be removed. Has anyone seen this or have more info?

For extra piece of mind I was also thinking about putting a "hatch" in the floor up near the bow (closed bow boat) to allow air flow when in dry storage which will be a majority of the time. Worth the effort?

Thanks for any input!
Jason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Flotation foam placement and drainage questions 10 years 4 weeks ago #100032

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Jason, welcome aboard. The "hatch" is easy. There are screw in place access hole covers maybe up to 6" dia that are everywhere on the net, probably a local marina would have them also. www.wholesalemarine.com/slam-hatch.html?gclid=CICk1tun2cACFStgMgod3RUA1A
I've seen some drainage cavities made with paper tubing in older boats but the paper would get waterlogged and plug the drain. You can use lengths of PVC pipe to form your drainage cavity.
Cal

Re: Flotation foam placement and drainage questions 10 years 4 weeks ago #100036

rubberbelly,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Flotation foam placement and drainage questions 10 years 4 weeks ago #100055

Thanks, sounds like topic two is taken care of and worth it.
Jason

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online