• Page:

TOPIC: '64 Evinrude Oil and Lube conversion

'64 Evinrude Oil and Lube conversion 10 years 3 weeks ago #99928

• duder
  • duder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am sure this question has been answered a lot on here but I can't seem to track the right info. down. I have a '64 Evinrude 90 HP. Manual calls for OMC Type A and C lube as well as using SAE 90 oil on certain engine points. What type of lube and oil should I use on these points today? Also with winterizing coming up is there a specific fogging oil I should only use on this engine.

I read a bunch of random websites but they all say different, I figured I would check with the experts and get the right answer. Thanks for the help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: '64 Evinrude Oil and Lube conversion 10 years 3 weeks ago #99929

duder,

WELCOME ABOARD.

ImVho. you've found the RIGHT place to receive the correct answers. - We here on FG are blessed with several REAL experts. - I'm sure that one of them will post your requested answer.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: '64 Evinrude Oil and Lube conversion 10 years 3 weeks ago #99932

• duder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks! I have been on here for a few years. Don't speak up much I guess. But yes, filled with experts and good information! I had the inside of my boat fully re-done by a good guy found on here. It is finally running this year thanks to a good restoration from him.

Re:'64 Evinrude Oil and Lube conversion 10 years 3 weeks ago #99940

duder wrote:

I am sure this question has been answered a lot on here but I can't seem to track the right info. down. I have a '64 Evinrude 90 HP. Manual calls for OMC Type A and C lube as well as using SAE 90 oil on certain engine points. What type of lube and oil should I use on these points today? Also with winterizing coming up is there a specific fogging oil I should only use on this engine.

I read a bunch of random websites but they all say different, I figured I would check with the experts and get the right answer. Thanks for the help!

"Type A" was a grease. The current BRP product is "Evinrude Johnson Triple Guard" (it's blue). Even the guy at the Merc dealer parts counter said it's great stuff.

"Type C" is the ONLY thing to use in electric gearcases (like your "Starflite"). BRP now sells it as "Evinrude Johnson Premium Blend Gearcase Lube"

SAE 90 "Hypoid Gear Oil" is what's used in most conventional (mechanical) outboard gearcases that use oil (as opposed to older ones that used grease).

Re:'64 Evinrude Oil and Lube conversion 10 years 3 weeks ago #99980

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Yep, Silver Bay nailed it..

Re:'64 Evinrude Oil and Lube conversion 10 years 3 weeks ago #100004

• duder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok great, thanks for the info everybody!

Re:'64 Evinrude Oil and Lube conversion 10 years 3 weeks ago #100005

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Some of the Merc guys are experts on using the grease type A on and in their motors. I'm no expert on lubes but when I had my old Mark 58 I was told to use a grease in the lower unit versus an oil lube. They recommended corn head grease which is superior for resisting water and not breaking down. I picked up two tubes (cylinders for a gun) at my local John Deere dealer.

Re:'64 Evinrude Oil and Lube conversion 10 years 3 weeks ago #100018

If you have the selectric lower unit you HAVE to use the Type C or it won't function properly.

Bob

Re:'64 Evinrude Oil and Lube conversion 10 years 3 weeks ago #100022

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Right on Bob. Reg 80/90 weight gear lube will kill a selectric.

By the way...This ones on the market with my 100hp Starflight :)
Attachments:

Re:'64 Evinrude Oil and Lube conversion 10 years 2 weeks ago #100041

• duder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I was planning on going with Silver - Bay suggestions. I don't know if mine says selectric on it but yours looks very similar to mine. My has a turn knob on the bottom and an idle speed knob on the front. I still have the manual and it does say use Type A and C and SAE 90 oil on the engine so I am going to go with that.

"Type A" was a grease. The current BRP product is "Evinrude Johnson Triple Guard" (it's blue). Even the guy at the Merc dealer parts counter said it's great stuff.

"Type C" is the ONLY thing to use in electric gearcases (like your "Starflite"). BRP now sells it as "Evinrude Johnson Premium Blend Gearcase Lube"

SAE 90 "Hypoid Gear Oil" is what's used in most conventional (mechanical) outboard gearcases that use oil (as opposed to older ones that used grease).

Biggest thing though is the winterizing, products recommended for winterizing are not mentioned at all in the manual. So I get myself a little nervous and stressed trying to figure that part out. I'd would rather move to the Carolina's and avoid the winterizing altogether but no worries.

Re:'64 Evinrude Oil and Lube conversion 10 years 2 weeks ago #100043

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I think they still have frost in the Carolinas.
Don't get stressed about winterizing it's not hard. I know a majority of owners up here in WI don't even "winterize" their outboards. Throw a cover over the boat and wait until next March :laugh:
A winterizing procedure I would do is:

1. Drain and put fresh oil in the lower unit. In an electric shift use Type C or the OMC recommended for the unit. Electric shift motors will only have one hard cable leading to the motor for speed control and a larger bundle of wires plus the fuel line.
2. Add fuel stabilizer to your remaining gas/mix. I use STABIL, if you are using ethanol gas STABIL makes a special product for that also.
3. Run the motor and spray fogging oil into/Towards the carburetor intakes until the motor kills/dies.
4. Disconnect and remove your battery(s) and store them inside.
5. Use any type of lube/grease and put a thin coat on your steering connections so they will not rust.
6. Put some sort of covering on the motor to keep out snow/ice/mice.
7. I usually jack up the trailer and put blocks under the axle to lift the tires/wheels off the ground.
8. Tilt the trailer/boat at a fairly steep incline so any water or ice that gets in will drain out the hole in the transom, assuming that you removed the drain plug.

I'm sure I missed something and someone will add to it but these are basics. Nothing to get bundled about.

Re:'64 Evinrude Oil and Lube conversion 10 years 2 weeks ago #100082

• duder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
That looks pretty similar to what I have been reading. Thanks! The boat rests on a lift in a boathouse so I'll be good there with weather coverage.

Re:'64 Evinrude Oil and Lube conversion 10 years 2 weeks ago #100114

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Waterwings wrote:

If you have the selectric lower unit you HAVE to use the Type C or it won't function properly.Bob

Type C is NLA, has been replaced with what said.

"Premium Blend Lubricant. Quality lubricant recommended for all Evinrude and Johnson outboards, 1972 or prior with electric shift and OMC stern drives 1977 or prior with electric shift"

Re:'64 Evinrude Oil and Lube conversion 10 years 2 weeks ago #100123

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I've been running Sierra type C blend in my Johnson electric shift with no problems.It's a little easier/cheaper to find than the BRP premium blend.

Re:'64 Evinrude Oil and Lube conversion 10 years 2 weeks ago #100152

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thats good to know!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6897 guests and 2 members online