Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newbie question

Newbie question 10 years 4 weeks ago #99740

my 1966 evinrude 80hp has given me trouble. I think i have it all worked out, i rebuilt the carb and fuel pump and now she is running good and does not smell like raw fuel anymore. I have not taken her to the lake to see if she is still a hard start when run awhile then shut down but i have noticed when running in a barrel for about 10 minutes there is a lot of black globs in the barrel. I have even noticed some black oily liquid pooling on the anti-cavitation plate. i believe what is needed is a good de-carbing with sea foam spay or equivalent. but is there something else i can check? i like the way my moter is currently running but i also want one that is clean as possible when in a resivour. i would guess after 10 minutes of running in the barrel i could sift out maybe 2 cups of black oily goop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Newbie question 10 years 4 weeks ago #99747

papasmurf,

Your "oily globs" problem SOUNDS LIKE a leaking "foot". - Have you had it apart?

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Newbie question 10 years 4 weeks ago #99755

not sure i understand what you mean by leaking foot. are you referring to the gear case? if so, no i have not had it apart but when i checked lube levels they seamed fine i only added a teaspoon. and the oily globs are as black as pitch wouldn't gear case lube be a lighter color? Please forgive my ignorance i am not very mechanically inclined so this is a learning experience for me and my boat.LOL

Re:Newbie question 10 years 4 weeks ago #99756

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I think your sea foam is a good start but I would add it to the fuel, not just spray. It will smoke a lot for sometime but when I did my '67 Johnson it pretty well cleaned up all the carbon and gooky stuff.
worth a try before wrenching on it.
IMHO

Re:Newbie question 10 years 4 weeks ago #99762

Yep Seafoam definitely! Used it on both of my old motors and they came out great. Loosened up the rings that were stuck and got all the compression back.

Bob

Re:Newbie question 10 years 4 weeks ago #99783

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Ditto from me about Seafoam in the gas. Been using it for years and love it. Also, the black blobs are oil that is not burning during combustion. Use a quality oil, or a synthetic, and oil residue and smoke will be reduced. I have been using Pennzoil full synthetic for about 8 or so years, and highly recommend it. Minimal smoke and 100% biodegradable to ease the tree huggers. I pay about $27 a gallon for it at Menards.

Re:Newbie question 10 years 2 weeks ago #100030

On a 2 stroke some fresh fuel is blown right through the engine and out the exhaust ports without even being compressed in the cylinders.
Nature of an engine like yours.
This is what you see in the test barrel.

Re:Newbie question 10 years 2 weeks ago #100044

i hope that's all, i will be changing the lube this weekend and looking for water contamination

Re:Newbie question 10 years 2 weeks ago #100109

alright now i need some advice
I had checked the oil before and later found out i was mistaken on how to do it. i finally found out how to do it right and drained the "chocolate milk" out of the gear case. obviously i have water contamination.
The boat itself belonged to a gentleman who could no longer enjoy it, he donated it to me work.( I work for a non profit) I bought it from work.The boat was last registered in 2002 and i have had it out maybe a four times and had issues every time. Since i am new to this boat thing i thought it might be a good idea to take the boat out for a short trip then recheck the oil to see the level of contamination.Is it wishful thinking that the leak may not be as bad as it looks.or should i replace the seals before my fishing trip next week?( basically leave the boat behind ) I am given to understand that a little water always finds it's way in... if the oil was not changed for a few years before he retired it to his driveway could that be the issue i am seeing or am i grasping at straws?
I have completely changed the oil.( now that i know i cant just open the top screw and pour oil in till it drips...lol)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6951 guests and 2 members online