Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: thinking about installing a bilge pump

thinking about installing a bilge pump 10 years 1 month ago #99682

I do not plan on any real ocean fishing but maybe some crabbing in a protcted bay. Most of my 1966 starcraft 17 footer's life will be enjoying the lake with ny grandbabies. My boat does not leak but a bilge would make me feel better with small children aboard. So what pump would be good for me and should i mount it behind the fuel tanks near the drain or should i mount it under the floor?
Thanks for the info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:thinking about installing a bilge pump 10 years 1 month ago #99687

I've had good luck with the small pumps by Rule or even Atwood. They come with a bottom plate that you can attach to the bottom using 5200 or screws, and the pump snaps into the bottom plate. Try to mount it near the lowest part of the bilge, and accessible so if the screen clogs you can easily get to it for cleanout. Wiring is simple, and you don't need an auto-switch unless you moor it.

I like having a pump on my boat. Years back, I was boat camping on Lake Havasu in my 18 foot Galaxie, which never leaked a drop. I woke up one morning to see the boat riding pretty darned low at anchor. The old OMC Stringer outdrive rubber boot had cracked and let in a lot of water. I was very happy to have that pump in the bilge, and dual batteries because it had to run a long time to get her high and dry again. A little duct tape got her watertight for the rest of the trip.

If you attach to the floor with screws, don't drill through the bottom! :P

Re:thinking about installing a bilge pump 10 years 1 month ago #99689

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Norm, you stole my thunder, I was going to mention not to drill holes through the bilge :laugh:
Here's old reliable, I actually had one of these in the 50's.

I've used both the Rule and Atwood pumps, never had any issues with either one. They come in different gallon per minute sizes, I like to use the largest I can get.
Attachments:

Re:thinking about installing a bilge pump 10 years 4 weeks ago #99716

A Rule 1500 pump would be a good choice for a 17' boat. Are you going to run it from a switch on the dash or a float switch, or both?
Larry

Re:thinking about installing a bilge pump 10 years 4 weeks ago #99718

i am thinking switch with dedicated battery

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6771 guests and 2 members online