Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What to do?? Starter rebuild or find new/used?

What to do?? Starter rebuild or find new/used? 10 years 1 month ago #99581

So, I burned up my starter after taking it out on the lake for the first time, apparently do to a fuel clog problem I've yet to dig into, (thinking I had junk in the fuel tank). Motor is a starflite 90hp. What would be best, find a new or used one or rebuild the old one, cost affective wise of course. I've found that you can change the contacts on these starters, though I'm not sure if that will fix my problem until I take it apart. It currently still turns over but very slowly, even with a fresh battery, and the starter will start to smoke after a bit. I do have a 67 60hp evinrude with the same starter, not realy wanting to swap it but I might just do it to get it going quicker. lol.

As for the fuel clog problem, does anyone happen to know the best way to tackle that? Or should I just start taking things apart until I find the clog, lol, I've already replaced all the hoses before. Thank you all for your help, you all are great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What to do?? Starter rebuild or find new/used? 10 years 1 month ago #99583

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Most electrical rebuilders will charge $75 - $100 for new brushes and bushings, maybe a new starter drive if needed. If they have to replace the armature and/or field coils, the rebuild option becomes cost prohibitive IMHO. Since yours is now "smoking", I'd think a replacement starter is probably your best bet.

Aftermarket units can be found at around $60-$75, and factory rebuilt replacements more in the $100-$150 range - exchange (you have to give them your old unit for rebuild). I generally don't go with "used" units unless you get it locally and have a guarantee, if you do go that way have a local rebuilder go thru the unit and perform the maintenance mentioned above.

First thing to check on the fuel clog is the fuel pump and carbs. I'd disassemble, clean, and refresh with new gaskets etc.. Make sure the pickup in the tank is clean and unobstructed, no air leaks in the fittings, etc..

Just my humble opinion, hope you get her sorted out Brandon. What year is the Starflite 90?

Mark

Re:What to do?? Starter rebuild or find new/used? 10 years 1 month ago #99593

Thank you very much for the info Mark. The motor is a 64. I'm gona be doing some digging into it this weekend. Hope to get her going soon, first time taking it out was awesome, can't wait to get back on the water.

Re:What to do?? Starter rebuild or find new/used? 10 years 1 month ago #99597

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Brandon, ditto on what Mark said. Fuel clog, I've had a few mostly due to rust in the old steel tank(s). Inside the engine cover, follow the fuel line and it will come to a black flat looking plastic, this is the top of the fuel pump. There is a large silver screw on the top of that pancake, unscrew it and there is a fine mesh screen (fuel filter) that just might be your problem. Remove the screen and clean it up but don't disturb the rubber diaphragm underneath. If the screen is dirty you have another issue somewhere either in your fuel tank or maybe the rubber fuel lines are beginning to break down. Might be time to get a new fuel line and pumper blub. They are reasonable cost and well worth the piece o mind.
Cal

Re:What to do?? Starter rebuild or find new/used? 10 years 1 month ago #99600

Cal, thank you very much, I was wondering if there was some kind of filter or strainer located somewhere. That's where i'll check first.

Re:What to do?? Starter rebuild or find new/used? 10 years 1 month ago #99669

So I took the starter off and low and behold it was crispy inside, lol.

It was toast so I pulled the starter from my project 60hp 67 evinrude, worked great, exactly the same, what luck!

As for the fuel issue, apparently I'm missing the fuel filter located in the fuel bowl, running an inline filter for safely for now. I flushed the system out and flushed the lines with air. After hooking everything back up and priming it a couple times it started right up real quick. Might try to take er out tomorrow if I'm able. But this time no more getting towed for me. Another craigslist score and I was able to get a 15hp tiller motor for 40 bucks, I already had a bracket that came off my glasspar.
Attachments:

Re:What to do?? Starter rebuild or find new/used? 10 years 1 month ago #99673

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Brandon, that's great everything fell into place. The inline filter is a good idea, I have one also since being towed. Good score on the motor and lucky fit on the starter. I would keep the old starter on the shelf, from the pic it looks like the brushes are good, springs might be weak from heat if the armature was toasted. spare parts are sometime expensive.
I think I have a and extra fuel screen if you want it. Post a pic and if it's what I'm thinking, I'll send it to you in a padded envelope.
Cal

Re:What to do?? Starter rebuild or find new/used? 10 years 4 weeks ago #99717

All electric motors are filled with smoke and bad smell. If you let either out, the motor's no good...
Larry

Re:What to do?? Starter rebuild or find new/used? 10 years 4 weeks ago #99719

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
HUH?????

Re:What to do?? Starter rebuild or find new/used? 10 years 4 weeks ago #99724

Once the magic smoke comes out you just can't put it back in.

Re:What to do?? Starter rebuild or find new/used? 10 years 4 weeks ago #99731

You can replace the smoke by connecting a fuel line to the starter.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6835 guests and 2 members online