• Page:

TOPIC: .I really don't know what is going on. pics added

.I really don't know what is going on. pics added 10 years 1 month ago #99084

• woodglass
  • woodglass's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I would like to install a temp gauge on this motor but have no idea where to put the sensor or if it can be done. also I'm not sure how to wire it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Can I install a temp gauge on my 65 sport four? 10 years 1 month ago #99090

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Woodglass.
What do you mean by temp gauge. Do you want a "hot" light for when the engine is overheating or a temperature sensor like an older car would have or do you want to install a meter/gauge instead of a light? Here's a link that might interest you.
www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?384139-Installing-Heat-gauges-and-sensors-on-your-outboard

Re:Can I install a temp gauge on my 65 sport four? 10 years 1 month ago #99092

• woodglass
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
yes maybe i don't know. was out yesterday and she would run great for a couple minutes but when she would get hot it would loose power ,bog down barely run and finally die. it would always restart but only run at low rpm. let it cool off for 15 or 20 minutes and it would run great til it got hot again. it did not appear to be pumping very much water but being inexperienced with boats, and these old 2 stroke outboards i'm not sure what is a healthy amount. I did buy a new impeller a while ago just in case. I now have removed the lower unit to inspect the water pump. this is what I found. the impeller looks good to me. it is plyable and looks exactly like the new one, no visable damage. the housing has some what seems to me to be minor pitting and corosion on one side that cleaned up with some fine steel wool. try to post pics if i could get good ones. now I'm looking at the thermostat If its the little diddy at the back of the motor between the heads, then I have gotten it out. but don't know if its bad or not. it's not like any stat I have ever seen.So, just making sure I don't have an over heating problem before I look deeper. I won't regret going thru cooling system because who knows when the last time it was serviced. I also have some oil that runs out of the tiny drain holes in the lower unit. I think it is just 2 stroke drool that runs down from the top. once again not sure if this is normal.

Re:Can I install a temp gauge on my 65 sport four? 10 years 1 month ago #99103

Hey Woodglass sounds like a faulty Thermostat. Mine was doing the same thing. Changed it out on my Johnson 40 1963, it was 28.00 here in Michigan. Good Luck. Tom.

Re:Can I install a temp gauge on my 65 sport four? 10 years 1 month ago #99108

• woodglass
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
pics of the water pump housing. this one shows the bit of corrosion that did clean up smooth. the opposite side has a couple of pin holes. I think they might have been from bubbles in the casting. they don't go all the way thru. can either of these conditions cause problems? impeller. I think it looks good. the bottom plate no grooves just shiny from impeller. is this the thermostat housing ? if so what parts get replaced? or did I take this apart for no reason?

Re:Can I install a temp gauge on my 65 sport four? 10 years 1 month ago #99116

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
What I would do...at this point since you have it apart is take your garden hose and backflush the entire cooling system to make sure there is no junk plugging the lines or jacket. The thermostat usually can be cleaned up. It does look like your impeller has developed a "set" to it meaning the vanes probably are not doing the job efficiently. A new impeller will have the vanes sticking straight out and be stiffer than h. The housing shouldn't be a problem, looks like it cleaned up good. If you install a new impeller I usually soak it down with cooking oil/Mazola or the likes to make it install easier and then you can spin it without dry damaging the rubber. DO NOT use motor oil, it will destroy the rubber over time. Those impellers are fairly inexpensive. The last time I bought a NOS from my local dealer it was around $35.
\Cal

Re:Can I install a temp gauge on my 65 sport four? 10 years 1 month ago #99117

• woodglass
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
where would I back flush from? the stat housing? also I did not get a new O ring with the impeller. would it be ok to use one that I have from my federal mogul kit ? same i.d. and o.d. also this thing did not have a gasket between the upper and lower unit, just some kind of thin sealer . not sure why this would be required since it is open to water from the under side.

Re:Can I install a temp gauge on my 65 sport four? 10 years 1 month ago #99132

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yes, yes and yes. Back flushing is just that. Take the hose and hold it tight to every hose/opening that's available. Water inlet for the thermostat should drain out the water impeller intake. Output from the thermostat to the motor will flush the water jacket and come out through the lower end of the leg.
Which "0" ring. A ring is a ring. If you have one that is the same diameter and size(thickness) it's good. The upper shaft 0 ring seals the crankcase/shaft.
Sealer? Probably someone put a liquid gasket ie permatex.
Here's a link which might be helpful. It's not exactly your motor but it shows a breakdown of the thermostat and its parts. Could be your problem is that there are two (2) gaskets required.
www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1967&hp=100&model=V4TL-13&manufacturer=Johnson§ion=Exhaust+Housing+Group

Re:Can I install a temp gauge on my 65 sport four? 10 years 1 month ago #99178

• woodglass
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
OK the lower unit is back together. now just waiting for the new thermostat. back flushed every hole I could find. got a little dirty water but nothing solid. it would come out as fast as it went in. don't think it has any blockages . my arteries may be a different matter. Love my shop helper. she does not care about getting dirty. she has put in several hours on the Larson.
Attachments:

Re:Can I install a temp gauge on my 65 sport four? 10 years 1 month ago #99181

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Looking good on progress. I think you will be fine once it's reassembled.
You're a man after my plugged up arteries (couple of stents). The upper right of the picture, that stuff will clean them out, works for me :laugh:

Re:Can I install a temp gauge on my 65 sport four? 10 years 1 month ago #99368

• woodglass
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
NUTS!!!!!!!!! the new one is smaller !
Attachments:

Re:Can I install a temp gauge on my 65 sport four? 10 years 1 month ago #99370

• woodglass
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
is this water tube supposed to have a hole in it ?
Attachments:

Re:Can I install a temp gauge on my 65 sport four? 10 years 1 month ago #99371

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the access port for disconnecting your shift rod. No water there.

Re:Can I install a temp gauge on my 65 sport four? 10 years 1 month ago #99418

• woodglass
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
the left of the pic is the top. I should have turned it before posting. as you are viewing the pic, the hole is to the upper right of the bolt head in the copper tube. It looks like it has been drilled . Had her out again today. Same problem. I beached her and pulled the thermostat out completely. still did not help. does pump a lot more water out the exhaust port. after a high speed run(28mph according to the speedo idon't think its right) it would bog down and try to die. I did have a thought and checked to see if the fuel tank was vented , and it was not. so, after venting the tank it actually did improve. but still had the same problem just not as bad. at this point I feel confident about not having a cooling problem. And before I foreget I wanted to thank you Sabre for your help.
Scott

Re:Can I install a temp gauge on my 65 sport four? 10 years 1 month ago #99420

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
No thanks required, that's what we do here. Anyone will help :)

Re:Can I install a temp gauge on my 65 sport four? 10 years 1 month ago #99614

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
woodglass wrote:

is this water tube supposed to have a hole in it ?

A little late to this,but yes the tube is supposed to have that hole. At least all the ones I've had have had them. I'm guessing that's to cool the exhaust housing.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6907 guests and 2 members online