Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1956 Johnson 30

1956 Johnson 30 10 years 1 month ago #98876

I have a 1956 Johnson 30 that's a bit "scruffy" I just acquired a fuel tank that needs rebuilding for it so to be honest I don't know if it runs yet. I still waiting for a copy of the service manual to come in for it. It has good compression and the rope pull works well.

Needless to say I have a ton of questions but will wait for most of them until after I get the manual.

1) What metal is the engine made from? it honestly looks like aluminum to me but that could just be from the bits of corrosion here and there...

2) when I go to redo the paint on this what is a good primer to put on it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1956 Johnson 30 10 years 1 month ago #98886

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome aboard. You're correct, the engine cover and block are aluminum. Parts for that motor and most of the 50's/60's OMCs, Johnson/Evinrude are readily available at most dealers. If there is and "established" dealer meaning older that dirt they probably have NOS on the shelf. The net is loaded with parts also. Those motors are simple and easy to work on if you have a screwdriver and an 8' crescent wrench. My first move would be a drain of the lower unit lube and see what condition it is in, if it's milky coffee color you should replace the seals on the prop shaft, another easy job on that motor and replace the 80/90 weight gear lube, install a new water impeller and when you do that soak it down with cooking oil/canola oil, NOT motor oil so when you turn the engine over you won't screw up the new rubber. You can get Aluminum spray primer just about anywhere in a rattle can, example...
www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Professional-15-oz-Aluminum-Spray-Primer-254170/202531910?N=5yc1vZbt0t
Good luck with your project.
Cal

Re:1956 Johnson 30 10 years 1 month ago #98899

Excellent thank you :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6779 guests and 2 members online