Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: new problem 66 80hp evintude

new problem 66 80hp evintude 10 years 1 month ago #98695

Took the boat out after cleaning the carb. Boat ran great all day but i could tell my low idle adjustment was not right and she seamed a little slower wot. Well after sitting for 10 minutes or so i restarted the boat and she had a BAD miss and no power. She limped to ths dock and just for laughs i changed tanks. No change and she smelled real bad of fuel. Even lefta sheen by the dock. Put her on the trailer got her home to pull plugs. Plugs were wet but not fouled but one had an oil trail on the head cover. Wiped plugswitha cloth then renstalled. Fired up boat and she pucked black stuff out the drain hole. She seamed to run with more power but could not determine if it was missing due to moter cover off and really loud. What do you think do i still have carb issues or is it something else? What is a good starting point for slow idle screws? I started with 1 and a half turns.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:new problem 66 80hp evintude 10 years 1 month ago #98731

I am thinking with the obvious flooding the low idle needs attention. the oil leak from the spark plug hole may be the plug was not tight. But could a pin hole in the fuel pump diaphragm cause a flooding issue also?

Re:new problem 66 80hp evintude 10 years 1 month ago #98746

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
A couple "shade tree" level thoughts papasmurf;

1 - I don't believe a (bad) fuel pump diaphragm will cause flooding, it would cause a lean / fuel starve condition if anything. Pull the carb(s) and check you float level. Also inspect for trash / foreign matter that may have gotten in there and prevent the needle valve from closing.

I'm not one to spend money needlessly, but IMHO fresh gaskets, needle valve, etc. (rebuild kits) are cheap insurance. The fuel pump should also be addressed in similar fashion, the parts are available and not unreasonably priced in most cases. Did you also replace the fuel lines when servicing the carbs? Old rubber hoses will start to break down on the inside first, sending small bits of rubber into the fuel system.

2 - Have you checked to make sure you have a strong, bright spark at each cylinder?

I'm no certified mechanic, but I hope these ideas help you out.... ;)

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6834 guests and 2 members online