Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Parts motor...whats it worth???

Parts motor...whats it worth??? 10 years 2 months ago #98575

I have a 1974 Johnson 70 hp that came off of one of my old boats. It always sounded good, ran strong. One day, it suddenly wouldn't start. The mechanic said it had a cracked head. I asked the mechanic if the head could be welded up. He said its "possible" if I knew a really good welder. It didn't sound too positive so I'm planning on selling it for a parts motor. Lots of good parts. Whats the top dollar I could start out asking for it???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Parts motor...whats it worth??? 10 years 2 months ago #98582

I have never seen any outboard with a cracked cylinder head. A good used cylinder head for that engine can be found easily on Ebay. The last one I bought was 35.00 and it was in great shape. A parts motor of that vintage isn't worth much, though I see people trying to get a lot of money for them. I would ask 150.00 - or best offer for it, unless you can prove that it is better than a parts motor

Re:Parts motor...whats it worth??? 10 years 1 month ago #98657

I've bought a few 'parts' motors for $40 to $50, some I even got running...Paid $100 to $200 for others also, depending on vintage and parts that I wanted. I consider any motor that is not actually running at time of sale, to be a 'parts' motor...

Re:Parts motor...whats it worth??? 10 years 1 month ago #98674

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
First I would go find another mechanic. Great motors, and really doubt its a "parts" motor. Have some one with knowledge look at it. Shops don't like to mess with 40 year old motors.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6816 guests and 2 members online