Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 64 starflite 90s charging system issue

64 starflite 90s charging system issue 10 years 2 months ago #97614

Well I'm pretty sure I got the wiring correct, when hooked up it won't give power to the starter but it will show amperage on the gauge, but if I supply straight battery power it will start but will not show amperage on the gauge. This is what I'm dealing with here.

Is there a way to test this or trouble shoot the problem? Or would it be possible to just hook up a rectifier?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:64 starflite 90s charging system issue 10 years 2 months ago #97661

• F_R
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
No, you can't "just use a rectifier". Everything in that box has a purpose and is needed. It's kind of scary, since it looks like it has been pretty well messed with. Did you take the cover off the voltage regulator? Do you have it?

Do you have a wiring diagram and could you follow it if you do have it? That is an externally excited alternator system, works just like a car of the day, but of course arranged differently.

I can't tell from the picture, but there is a 60A fuse in there (Brown wire and capacitor connects to it). It doesn't look like a conventional fuse. But it won't charge if blown.

As for the no-start, check the safety switch on the distributor bracket.

Let me know if you need a wiring diagram.

Re:64 starflite 90s charging system issue 10 years 2 months ago #97952

Ugh, figured out my problem, I was using a volt meter in place of an amp meter. bahahahahaha. After hooking it up correctly I'm getting 14 volts at around 3000 rpm. Charging system seems to be working.

Thanks F_R for the info, I do have a wiring schematic. I'm using a wired 60amp fuse in place of the old style you can't see in the picture.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.405 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7536 guests and no members online