• Page:

TOPIC: Jeeeze, towed in again!

Jeeeze, towed in again! 10 years 2 months ago #97171

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I think I've been towed into port this year more than coming in on my own power :(

Went out fishing this evening, beautiful night on Green Bay, sunny, temp in the 60's, very little wind. Got 4 miles out on the bay and the Golden Meteor quits. Keep in mind that this is open water part of Lake Mich, not some inland puddle. I called the Coast Guard only to get an answering machine, go figure. Called the local Sheriff dept and they sent their rescue boat out and took care of me, what a couple of angels they were. Blew the timing belt in half! My fault cuz I should have changed it when I converted the ign system. Trying to find a timing belt for a 47 year old OMC ain't easy. Part number 305-446. Finally found one at Mastertech Marine on the web. $65.75 + $8.75 shipping. 4th of July weekend and I'm grounded :S
Cest' le gure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Jeeeze, towed in again! 10 years 2 months ago #97173

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
cal, sorry to here about your bad luck, better times are coming. greg

Re:Jeeeze, towed in again! 10 years 2 months ago #97174

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
About time to consider a kicker motor? I'm across the lake in Michigan, and would NEVER venture more than a quarter mile offshore without a kicker or twins.

Re:Jeeeze, towed in again! 10 years 2 months ago #97176

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Kerry, I didn't mean to mislead, I was 4 miles from the landing where I put in, not 4 miles out in the bay. I was only in 6' of water in a channel. Another 10' port or starboard I would have been in 2.5' grounded on a sandbank :) Any other problem I would have paddled to the sand bar and took out my tools but a timing belt is pretty much a stranded sentence. First thing I did was toss the anchor over, made the phone calls and proceeded to drown a nitecrawler while waiting. Might as well make the best of an unfortunate situation. The deputies laughed when they saw me and said it was the first time either one of them saw someone so calm in a "situation" :laugh: All's well that ends well.

Cal

Re:Jeeeze, towed in again! 10 years 2 months ago #97182

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
63 Sabre wrote:

The deputies laughed when they saw me and said it was the first time either one of them saw someone so calm in a "situation" :laugh: All's well that ends well.

Cal

Cal, that's not good. If you were that calm, that means your getting too used to being towed in. :laugh: Maybe after this ,you'll have the bugs out of it. jim

Re:Jeeeze, towed in again! 10 years 2 months ago #97183

Ouch! Well it could have been a lot worse. I hope you'll get back on the water soon Cal. So far I've been lucky but the kicker motor is a pretty good idea Kerry.

Bob

Re:Jeeeze, towed in again! 10 years 2 months ago #97224

63 Sabre wrote:

I think I've been towed into port this year more than coming in on my own power :(

Went out fishing this evening, beautiful night on Green Bay, sunny, temp in the 60's, very little wind. Got 4 miles out on the bay and the Golden Meteor quits. Keep in mind that this is open water part of Lake Mich, not some inland puddle. I called the Coast Guard only to get an answering machine, go figure. Called the local Sheriff dept and they sent their rescue boat out and took care of me, what a couple of angels they were. Blew the timing belt in half! My fault cuz I should have changed it when I converted the ign system. Trying to find a timing belt for a 47 year old OMC ain't easy. Part number 305-446. Finally found one at Mastertech Marine on the web. $65.75 + $8.75 shipping. 4th of July weekend and I'm grounded :S
Cest' le gure.

You need a supply of old and NLA parts. I have the belt here at home.

Re:Jeeeze, towed in again! 10 years 2 months ago #97255

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Jim, I'll keep you in mind :laugh:

There can't be much more that can go wrong with this honey...oooops I just put a curse on myself.

New ignition system, new fuel setup, tight seals on lower, new water impeller, new timing belt coming soon (I hope) good wiring, clean fuel.

I prefer to run the bugs out of it myself and get towed in rather that let my grandkids take it out and get stranded. Besides, it's a good relation builder with local coast guard and law enforcement :silly:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7982 guests and no members online