Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1956 Evinrude Fleetwin Won't stay running.

1956 Evinrude Fleetwin Won't stay running. 10 years 3 months ago #96521

1956 Evinrude Fleetwin won't stay running. 2 Minutes ago Karma: 0
I bought a super clean 1956 Evinrude Fleetwin 7520 last year. It has almost 60 lbs in both cylinders (New Rings). I checked the plugs, pulled the flywheel and inspected the coils and points. All looks new. I pulled the powerhead and put in a new impeller. All seems perfect.

I put it in a tank and started it. It fired and ran real great. After dialing in the low and high speed knobs it ran great for about 3-5 minutes. Then it started sputtering and stalled. After many pulls it would start again, but will only run for a minute. My arm finally got tired.

The tank is a good rebuilt tank and works perfect on my Lark Twin- Had that one out on the lake last week.

I do notice a lot of white smoke during start up. I also notice exhaust in the fuel tank. Is this normal?

Any ideas on my Fleetwin?

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1956 Evinrude Fleetwin Won't stay running. 10 years 3 months ago #96539

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Pull the spark plugs. Sooty/dirty is normal. If one, or both, look too clean or like new, water is getting in. (white smoke- steam, steam cleans plugs) If yes, easiest first check is to pull the cylinder head and check for a blown gasket. If no, maybe a clogged jet or float needle inlet in the carb. Other possibilities exist, but these are the most common.

Re:1956 Evinrude Fleetwin Won't stay running. 10 years 3 months ago #96849

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
60 psi seems a bit lowish. When changing the rings did the cylinders look good? Ran a bit then quit? I suspect some crap shifted into the carb and plugged things up.

Boats: 76 Chrysler Conqueror S3, 61 Larson Playmate. Outboards: 76 Chrysler 105, 70 Chrysler 70, 57 Evinrude Bigtwin 35, 80 Johnson 35 looper, 74 Chrysler 45, 67 Mercury 650SS, and others.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6965 guests and no members online