Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: new to boats and found a problem

new to boats and found a problem 10 years 3 months ago #96480

just recently picked up a 1966 starcraft with an 80 hp evinrude. boat looks and runs well... sort of.... took it out yesterday and she was doing great. about 45 minutes in i slowed her to a stop and she died. she would not restart and after cranking for a few minutes she stopped cranking. called the sheriff for a tow (only boat on the water even tho sunny and 75) and pulled her home. in the garage i thought i would check the spark plugs and found one was stripped.... i will need to helicoil it payday. after finding this i hand tightened the plug and she not only cranked but started in the garage. I know nothing of 2 strokes but with the bad plug would she still run.... at least poorly? i want to fix this boat right so i will start with the sparkplug but what can i look for for the stalling and not restarting? I think watever stopped her from cranking should be easy to chase as it is cranking now so elctrical connection maybe? FYI we sat in the lake for 2 hours waitng for a tow and then 45 minutes drive home. when she started in the garage she caught me off guard but ran beautifully.
the specs
1966 starcraft 17 foot with 80 hp evinrude of same age

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:new to boats and found a problem 10 years 3 months ago #96488

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Papa,when the motor wouldn't start, was the throttle pushed towards the front past the start position on the side of the shifter box? If so, there's a safety switch on the dist housing on the engine that keeps the motor from being started at too higher throttle position.Your carb might need rebuilding and a ignition tune up can't hurt. As for the hard starting after it has warmed up, mine is doing that too.In my case,I think it's just the SORRY gas we have to run in these old motors.Had mine outside today testing it and after I had run it (in a barrel) and got it operating temp,it would not start cause it flooded. It has a good needle/seat and float, good choke too(carb rebuilt a couple years back). I just pushed the choke lever all the way up cutting the choke off and it would start great even when I let it set for a 1/2 hour after I had run it.What type of choke system do you have?? Electric? Waterchoke? As for the plug being stripped and loose you got the right idea, heli coils are better than the original aluminum threads IMHO.

Re: new to boats and found a problem 10 years 3 months ago #96490

papasmurf,

WELCOME ABOARD. - Sounds like a NIFTY rig, too.
(ImVho, Jim L has put you on the right path to success.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:new to boats and found a problem 10 years 3 months ago #96492

i will go down and find out about starting position. as far as the choke i am not convinced about the electric working so i uses the manual lever and i had it in the auto setting. i suppose i should have shut it off but then it stopped cranking so i gave up. i would feel real stupid if it was flooded and i had the throttle to high.(according to my wife i should be used to it by now.)

Re:new to boats and found a problem 10 years 3 months ago #96494

I did not notice anything on my shifter or throttle to indicate a starting position. i looked at the owners manual and all it said was to start it in neutral (yes original paperwork from the day bought new including service center book and sales recipt)so i suppose its possible i lost the ability to crank due to it not being in neutral.
i will fix my sparkplug then run it in a barrel for a while to check for flooding. thanks guys i will keep you posted and keep asking questions. where is a good site for parts for this old of a boat i would like to keep her for a long time. Parts i am specifically looking for is the compass that sits in the dash as mine is not working and maybe some of the chrome and lettering, dock cleats etc.
and on another note in this boat the old owner installed a vhf/am/fm radio complete with antennae. i want to fix or replace the radio but move the location of the antennae as it is right in the middle of the boat centered in the windshield. moving it is real simple but what to fix the hole, and paint match maybe a pain. any suggestions?

Re:new to boats and found a problem 10 years 3 months ago #96500

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
If it's an Evinrude push button shift and the letters are not worn off,it should look like this.
As for the antenna hole, maybe a stainless steel washer and stainless bolt and nut.

Re:new to boats and found a problem 10 years 3 months ago #96505

mine is not push button shift it is lever shift. will it still have the safety feature you describe?
i should take pictures of my boat for it age it is in great shape.

Re:new to boats and found a problem 10 years 3 months ago #96626

HI;
All electric start motors from OMC had the safety start feature regardless of the shift type. I ran into the same thing with my 61 Gale 35HP and felt really stupid when I went to pull the cord and it wouldn't budge for the same reason. After cursing at myself I pulled the throttle back a bit and turned the key and of course it started immediately!
Al

Re:new to boats and found a problem 10 years 3 months ago #96629

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Here's a pic of the safety switch and the shifter on my johnson 75 hp.

Re:new to boats and found a problem 10 years 3 months ago #96630

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok, you must of had your start/warm up lever on your shifter pulled back too much. I've done that before. jim

Re:new to boats and found a problem 10 years 3 months ago #96669

sounds like my cranking issue was a case of my own inexperience. i will be fixing the spark plug hole this afternoon and then plan on a nice long run in a barrel to see if she dies out on me.
Thanks guys

Re:new to boats and found a problem 10 years 3 months ago #96671

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Good luck with it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7102 guests and no members online