Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97152

Jim L wrote:

Brandon, I noticed you got some wrung off bolts where your upper bearing cap goes plus your cable's bad so I spotted this on bay today. If you could make an offer and get this for a good price, you can kill two birds with one stone and have no broken bolts to deal with, plus a good shifter cable too.Just an idea. jimhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-OMC-JOHNSON-EVINRUDE-V4AL-14-75HP-OUTBOARD-MOTOR-LOWER-UNIT-MID-HOUSING-/300730438727?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item4604ee5447&vxp=mtr

Jim you are the man!! Good find, I made an offer. I actually started putting mine together and all the bolts fit tightly, nothing broken or stripped. But to get the cable with the unit for that price is pretty dang good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97160

Jim, once again that was an awesome find. I did not think I would get it with my first offer of 40 bucks shipped. Woohoo!!

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97213

Perhaps shop for a 66 / 67 / 68 lower unit off a 100 hp motor and install that.----Rugged and nearly bullet proof units on the 100 hp motors.

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97214

professor wrote:

Perhaps shop for a 66 / 67 / 68 lower unit off a 100 hp motor and install that.----Rugged and nearly bullet proof units on the 100 hp motors.

Thanks professor, good to know.

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97218

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Good deal Brandon, glad you got it. I'm always looking for 60's v-4 stuff on da-bay :laugh: .

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97239

Jim L wrote:

Good deal Brandon, glad you got it. I'm always looking for 60's v-4 stuff on da-bay :laugh: .

When that one comes in I'm gona do a full rebuild with new seals. For now I realy want to get this thing in the water so I reused the old seals, they still hold tight to the shafts, I replaced gaskets with rtv silicone for now. Filled with fluid and pressurized with about 30 lbs of air and didn't see any leaks. Ready to install tomorrow. I'll tell you what, these things sure are a lot easier to take apart than put together, took me a few tries to get the wires right, had to take them apart after I forgot to put the seal on that seals the gear case to the housing. lol. Also tested the the coils after putting the fluid in, I have forward and reverse, wooohooo.
Attachments:

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97431

Just a little video of me testing the gears and checking things. Gotta finish wiring things up and attach the steering and i'll be able to test it in the lake in a week or two.

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97436

Excellent, good job Brandon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97496

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Sounds great,Brandon!! Your getting closer to the fun part(lake test). When you get it out on the lake and clear it's throat and get it to operating temp, you might need to turn the choke all the way off. I do mine when it warms up. Makes it easier to start a hot engine with the sh!tty gas we have to put up with nowadays. Good luck. jim

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97498

Thank you Bob and Jim. Can't wait to get it out on the water, getting excited, being its my first boat and first time working on one.

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97529

Fun fun fun. Just adding more progress to the thread, lol.

For these engines what grade fuel is best to run? Is regular fine or should I run premium?
Attachments:

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97533

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

For these engines what grade fuel is best to run? Is regular fine or should I run premium?

I won't run anything but Ethanol FREE (90 octane) in mine, but I'm lucky to have several stations around the house that carry it. If you're not as fortunate, I'd run mid grade and make sure to use one of the additives made for ethanol fuel like Star-Tron, or whatever they call it. Also adding a can of Sea Foam or some other "de-carbonizing" cleaner every couple of tanks is a good idea as well, IMHO.

Just my two cents, HTH.

Mark

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97539

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I run non-ethanol plus 89 octane and 18 ounces of quicksilver oil per 6 gal in mine. Does just fine although I'm sure I could get by with 16 ounces. Those two extra ounces make me feel better :laugh: .

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97572

ok cool, i'll definitely be on the lookout for non-ethanol fuel.

Got a quick question. For some strange reason I just realized out of nowhere that I forgot to put the o ring on the top of the drive shaft. Just how important is that o ring? It wouldn't be to much of a hassle to remove the lower end and replace it if absolutely necessary.

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97615

I just like adding pictures, hahahaha. Whats a good compression for these engines? Mine are all around 100psi.

Attachments:

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97619

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
More pics = Good! We like more pics. LOL

IMHO your compression readings are decent, and more importantly all within 10% of each other. I'd consider that a good motor, but do run a can of Sea Foam through her as we discussed. Carbon build up around the rings can cause them to stick, your readings might even come up a little from there.

Everybody has their favorite motors, I just love the old V4 OMC's! (Can you tell?) :laugh:

Mark

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97622

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
For those engines, your readings are very good.Was that a dry reading or did you squirt a little oil in the cylinders? I enjoy seeing the pics.

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97634

MarkS wrote:

I'd consider that a good motor, but do run a can of Sea Foam through her as we discussed. Carbon build up around the rings can cause them to stick, your readings might even come up a little from there.

Definitely will run a can of sea foam after the install is done. Thanks Mark.

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 2 months ago #97637

Jim L wrote:

For those engines, your readings are very good.Was that a dry reading or did you squirt a little oil in the cylinders? I enjoy seeing the pics.

It hadn't been started in a week but I'm not sure if you could call it dry, lol, when removing the plugs it was very oily inside, I'm running 20:1 right now while I'm doing this for added protection while doing all the testing. The old plugs seemed in good shape too, but I replaced them anyway, it now idles better and at a lower rpm. I even got the rpm gauge to work with this motor that was original to this boat, 1980 bayliner, originaly had a Johnson/evinrude 6cyl. Loved that the gauge had a switch on the back so you can use it for 2, 4 or 6cyl. lol

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 1 month ago #99501

Been a while since I've posted but I've finally been able to take the boat out for a lake test. Unfortunetly I didn't take any video and wasn't able to take many pictures, was having issues. lol. First launch was ok, took a while to start for some reason. Got her going and was out running around, the 90 horse pushed the 19 footer along with ease, crusing at 4500 for about 5-10 minutes the dummy light went on, cooled down quick while running at about 2-2500rpm, would cruse just fine without overheating at under 4000rpm. We were waiting for my brother to arrive so we decided to dock it and load it up for a little bit while we wait. Lauched her again and it didn't want to start again, took way to long but she finally started up and we were off. My brother wanted to do a little fishing so I shut her down in the middle of the lake, was low on gas so I topped her off. Went to start her back up and it took forever again, battery started to lose power, so I thought, anyway, finally fired back up and were off, only traveled about a quarter of a mile when the engine quit. Gota have a fuel line clog or something, when priming the primer would become stiff and not allow any fuel flow and would leak out of the connecter at the engine. ugh, well, thought my battery was dieing but it turned out that the starter burned up, go figure. So luckily there was a coworker of mine that had came along with us in his own boat and he towed us back to the dock, but before he got to use we had drifted into some low lying trees (CA drought, lake was low) ended up tieing off on tree just before banging up against the rocks. lol, no damage. All in all, it was a decent day. Can't wait to get her back in the water.

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 1 month ago #99508

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Brandon, sounds like your luck is running in the same gutter as mine :laugh:
When I first started working on my '67 100hp Johnson I was pulled back to the landing more often than under my own power. I had more fuel problems, elec problems, timing belt broke etc. etc. but no problems with the lower end, knock on wood. It took awhile but things worked out just as I'm sure it will for you. Sounds like you attitude is terrific. Things got so bad that one of our glassic buddies named the boat for me :laugh:
Attachments:

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 10 years 1 month ago #99519

Yeah I resemble that remark also. Had to be towed back from the Virginia side of the Potomac a week ago. Fuel problem again too. Keep up your good attitude, you need it with these old motors. The joys and sorrows of antique boating. LOL

Bob

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 9 years 11 months ago #101178

Hmmmm, I think I figured out my no start issue after its been running for a while then sits for more than 30 minutes. When I go to start it it will fire 1 or 2 cylinders just enough to disengage the starter then die. Could it be because my timing is off by one notch? It has always idled a little rough but when giving throttle it would power away without hesitation. Gona fix it this weekend and hope to take it out the following weekend.

Heres a short clip of us out on new melones lake.

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 9 years 11 months ago #101220

Brandon, your timing "could" be off but I doubt it. More likely a lean start. When you stop the motor do it with the choke, bet your problem goes away.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 9 years 11 months ago #101222

Daveswaves wrote:

Brandon, your timing "could" be off but I doubt it. More likely a lean start. When you stop the motor do it with the choke, bet your problem goes away.

Dave i'm sorry, I ment that the timing "is" off by one notch. lol. Not sure if it skipped a notch in my possession or its been like that, i'm pretty sure I've checked it before but I don't remember for sure, lol. But I will try your advice for sure, thank you.

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 9 years 11 months ago #101228

yup, I knew what you were getting at. My experience with that vintage Johnsons and evinrudes is limited to an 80 hp starflight, mid 60,s, On that engine if the timing belt was off by one notch it ran very poorly, yours seems to run nicely.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 9 years 11 months ago #101595

Took it out again over the weekend and she ran great, started up everytime, had to have been a fuel issue. But, still having a problem with it overheating when at WOT after about 3-5 minutes. I have lots of water coming out of the exhaust. Have a feeling there may be some blockage somewhere. I checked the compression and they're all still within 90-100psi, so at least I know its getting decent circulation throughout them all.

Re:1965? Evinrude Starflite 90-s shift issue 9 years 11 months ago #101596

if you haven't checked it.. it wouldn't hurt to check the thermostat. located between the 2 heads.. you'll see the hoses coming off the heads going to the housing..
on my old 64 75hp we kept thinking it was over heating.. turns out all it was,, was a bad temp sensor in the head..must have got hot maybe with the last owner and only at times running it hard did the warning go off.. luckly i was working at an OMC dealer at the time we had them on hand..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6809 guests and 2 members online