Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '57 Evinrude Lark bronze prop, Original?

'57 Evinrude Lark bronze prop, Original? 10 years 3 months ago #96079

• 55bigtwin
  • 55bigtwin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I just noticed that my '57 Lark 35hp appears to have a bronze prop. I guess I've never seen one on a Big-Twin before, could this be original, or an add on??? I tried to remove it but it seems to be seized in place. Wonder if I ran it in gear, in water without the shear pin, if it would loosen up??? www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/57_Evinrude_Lark.JPEG [/img] [img/]
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:'57 Evinrude Lark bronze prop, Original? 10 years 3 months ago #96086

Not original

In fact because of the weight the prop is harder to start spinning and will spin longer. There forth it is harder on the gears to get it moving, and going from forward to reverse (or the other way around) takes longer for the prop to stop spinning or one will have to slam gears...

However they do look great cleaned up on the motor.

CAVU

Re:'57 Evinrude Lark bronze prop, Original? 10 years 3 months ago #96110

The bronze props are indeed harder on the drive components.'

Many of the propeller hubs have keyways cut in them to aid with removal. With motor not running, (and ignition OFF) carefully put it into forward gear. Do not force the shift lever if it won't go all the way. If it won't shift fully into gear, pull the rope starter half a foot or so & try to shift again. repeat this until the gear and clutch can align with eachother allowing it to shift ALL THE way into gear. You must rotate the propeller on the shaft so that the shear pin hole is 90 degrees or 1/4 turn from where the hole in the shaft is. The engine being in gear will help keep the shaft from turning with the prop. With the prop turned 1/4 turn - the keyways will be aligned with the shaft where the sheer pin hole is. The shaft can get messed up at this area, and the keyways will help "clear" the messed up area - allowing removal. If the prop is stuck badly, you could try getting it to pop loose as you described above. Just be sure to do it in a barrel of water, or with the boat strapped to the trailer at a boat ramp.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7949 guests and no members online