Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1961 Johnson 40 hp

1961 Johnson 40 hp 10 years 4 months ago #95264

My dad's boat that I've been wanting to restore has a 1961 Johnson 40 hp seahorse on it. I'm going to tell you what I know about the motor and I want to see if you guys have an idea of about how much it will cost me to get it back to life. I know that the lower unit will need new seals...the last time we tried starting it was about 12 years ago and it turned over nicely but wouldn't fire. Dad thinks the motor still had good compression when it was parked 25 years ago. He said the thing gave him trouble every trip to the lake so he finally parked it. Thank God he parked it where he parked it because it sure is going to make the restoration project a little easier. It was parked in a barn with a cover on it. I know its hard to say, depending on what it will need exactly and depending on what the mechanic charges per hour, parts etc...but whats the minimum that you think I will have to spend???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1961 Johnson 40 hp 10 years 4 months ago #95381

I just ordered all new OEM parts for magneto, less points and condensers as I have several new ones, for a 1963 gale 40hp, basically same engine, for under 90 bucks. probably a new lower unit seal kit would be around $20.

You'll be hard pressed to find a mechanic willing to work in it. It is a simple system and a lot of help available here and on other sites to do it yourself.

First, check compression, put oil or wd 40 in cylinders first for lubrication, and go from there. I'll let better minds than mine go from there as my own experience has been less than fruitful!

Re: 1961 Johnson 40 hp 10 years 4 months ago #95387

wjhuskey,

ImVho, presuming that the OB is in otherwise OK condition (for example it is NOT internally rust pitted after 25 years & has acceptable compression on both cylinders), it will need 2 new sets of points, sparkplugs, sparkplug wires, 2 condensers, 2 coils, a water-pump impeller, a carb kit and (likely) new decals/paint. = Presuming that you'll do the labor yourself, I would GUESS that your "out of pocket" parts/supplies cost will be about 150-200.oo.
(Having done that, you'll have an OB that will usually last for DECADES, with only minimal maintainence.)

just my OPINIONS, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1961 Johnson 40 hp 10 years 3 months ago #95406

Oh, and add to that a fuel pump kit, still prob in the range SATX said.

Don't let all that scare you. It can all be done with no special tools, and is much easier than it seems.

BTW, what kind of boat are we talking about here? We LOVE pics!

Re:1961 Johnson 40 hp 10 years 3 months ago #95414

whatsleft,

AGREED 100%.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1961 Johnson 40 hp 10 years 3 months ago #95855

Thanks for all the help!!! I will try to do some of the work myself. Whatsleft, thanks for asking, its a 1961 Crestliner Mustang. I don't have very good pictures of it but I've attached the best picture my cellphone would take. I need to get more pics with a digital camera.
Attachments:

Re:1961 Johnson 40 hp 10 years 3 months ago #95877

Replace all rubber components in the carb and pump and do not forget all the hoses. They are not ethanol resistant. Ferguson Poole helped me out greatly. If it has a cork float it will need coated with new shellac also. I just bought a new one. Mine was a 59 35 hp. I may look intimidating but it is not. It is a simple motor to work on.
Attachments:

Re:1961 Johnson 40 hp 10 years 3 months ago #95894

Your engine has lots in common with those made by Evinrude, Johnson and Gale between 1955 and the 1970's, many parts are available new & used, and they're easy to work on.

Here are two sites with helpful tutorials:

www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/max/articles.htm
(reprinted as the book "Cheap Outboards")

www.leeroysramblings.com/Outboard%20Motor%20Related/OMC%20outboard%20related%20articles.html

Re:1961 Johnson 40 hp 10 years 3 months ago #95907

wjhuskey,

Fwiw, IF you have not already gotten yourself one, go buy (OR check one out from your public library) a copy of CHEAP OUTBOARDS: THE BEGINNERS GUIDE TO MAKING AN OLD MOTOR RUN FOREVER by Max Wawrzyniak.
(The book retails for 30.oo BUT it is frequently discounted to about 20.oo OR available from "used book sources". = I'm "your friendly local cheapskate" & I paid 5.oo for my copy used, from the Goodwill thrift store.)

You may also want to go look at the SIERRA, INC. catalogue at your local NAPA Auto Parts store for good quality new parts at a reasonable price.
(Note: I do NOT sell books NOR do I work for NAPA but I'm a believer in SAVING $$$$$$$, wherever/whenever I can.)

a Personal Note: the 1960-61 OMC motors are bored-out (what were originally) 25HP motors and should NOT, imVho, be run at "wide open throttle" for long periods.
(OMC re-designed/"beefed-up" the 40HP motors in 1961 and the 1962 & later OMC 40HP OB motors are "tougher than a 10 cent steak".)
Your 1961 Johnny should give you excellent service for decades, if judiciously used.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1961 Johnson 40 hp 10 years 3 months ago #96237

I will look online for the beginners guide. Thanks for all the help.

Re:1961 Johnson 40 hp 10 years 3 months ago #96356

Could I trouble you for a list of parts you would order if you were doing a rebuild on a 61 rds-23 seahorse? I have a general idea from reading this thread, but if someone were to really give it a moments thought, I might save on shipping ;-)

Re:1961 Johnson 40 hp 10 years 3 months ago #96380

Not sure what you mean by rebuild, but if you just mean getting it seaworthy for modern use, pretty much all listed below. that said, off top of my head:

REPAIR MANUAL
Rebuild kits for carb and fuel pump
new fuel lines
new vacume lines and any other rubber components
Points, plugs and condensors
Coils
water impeller (might need whole new housing - take apart first too see)
Check casing on various electrical wiring - these get very brittle and should be replaced if cracked as can cause shorts.

Re:1961 Johnson 40 hp 10 years 3 months ago #96493

I slapped a compression tester on my seahorse, and I'm only getting 45 psi from both of the cylinders. I hand crank it over 4-5 times, leave one spark plug in, have the tester on the other spark plug hole, and only get 45psi. It holds the pressure for at least the 10 minutes I left the guage on them when i tested them, and both are within 5 of each other. Is this engine a no-go?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7720 guests and no members online