• Page:

TOPIC: 10hp QD-11 Coils???

10hp QD-11 Coils??? 10 years 4 months ago #95247

• 55bigtwin
  • 55bigtwin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All, anyone know if early 1950-ish coils are available? They appear to be completely different from my QD-13 and all the rest '52 & newer...??? One supplier's reference says that they're the same from '49-'72, but that's not correct...also I didn't see any points under the flywheel...??? Thanks-Craig
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:10hp QD-11 Coils??? 10 years 4 months ago #95254

pricey but available @evil-bay:

Re:10hp QD-11 Coils??? 10 years 4 months ago #95255

I would say there should be points , unless someone installed an electronic conversion kit.

Re:10hp QD-11 Coils??? 10 years 4 months ago #95257

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
The stator plate is different, I didn't see any points, although it has 2 opposed spring loaded rods that ride on the lobe on the flywheel...??? I've never seen anything like it. I wonder if it could be converted to a newer style stator plate & coils...??? I'll try to do some pics...
Attachments:

Re:10hp QD-11 Coils??? 10 years 4 months ago #95258

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
jbcurt00 wrote:

pricey but available @evil-bay:

Wow, Thanks, but yeah that's like 4 times the price of the '52+. I guess that's why I had been staying away from the pre-'52 motors, but it looks similar to my QD-13, so I thought...Oh well, I guess some of the parts may fit. I can't see spending that kind of money, just to see if it's gonna run...

Re:10hp QD-11 Coils??? 10 years 4 months ago #95262

Those rods push on the points.
Just a little different that later points.

Re:10hp QD-11 Coils??? 10 years 4 months ago #95263

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
professor wrote:

Those rods push on the points.

Just a little different that later points.

Thanks, I sorta thought that, but never ran into it before...

Re:10hp QD-11 Coils??? 10 years 4 months ago #95274

55bigtwin,

"---- why I had been staying away from
". = That makes TWO of us.
I'll buy the pre-1955 OMC at a GOOD price, BUT I buy them ONLY for re-sale.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:10hp QD-11 Coils??? 10 years 4 months ago #95275

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Yep, those are the odd ball coils. Others sell for $20 something.
I had some at one time, but long gone. And yep, weird points too.

If you have a other style stator plate and related parts, you can see if it will fit, but the flywheel might be needed too. Wish I still had the old J-Rude parts, as I could tell you more. Good luck!

Re:10hp QD-11 Coils??? 10 years 4 months ago #95327

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Robby321 wrote:

Yep, those are the odd ball coils. Others sell for $20 something.
I had some at one time, but long gone. And yep, weird points too.

If you have a other style stator plate and related parts, you can see if it will fit, but the flywheel might be needed too. Wish I still had the old J-Rude parts, as I could tell you more. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking the same about the stator may need a different flywheel too. I have a spare stator from a '54-ish 25hp. I think I might just put it back together and relegate it to the back room. The good news is, it has a prop, and I did get a pressure tank with the deal, although it's black inside and rusted around the bottom edge outside, might be just for parts as well...

Re:10hp QD-11 Coils??? 10 years 4 months ago #95367

Here's my solution for the 49-51 QD coils, take 2 new OMC coils and remove them from the heels. Remove the old coils from their heels and install the new ones upside down on the old heels. Make new ignition wires which need to be longer and pass them through the original holes making sure to get them clamped into the holders so there is no stress to pull them out or allow them to ride up and hit the underside of the flywheel. Connect the green wire to the points and the black one to ground, clean and set the points and you should be good to go. I did this conversion on a friends and my 49 QD in 2005 and they still run great today. All this said your coils look pretty good have you tried cleaning the points and checking for spark?

Attachments:

Re:10hp QD-11 Coils??? 10 years 4 months ago #95389

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
al lockhart wrote:

Here's my solution for the 49-51 QD coils, take 2 new OMC coils and remove them from the heels. Remove the old coils from their heels and install the new ones upside down on the old heels. Make new ignition wires which need to be longer and pass them through the original holes making sure to get them clamped into the holders so there is no stress to pull them out or allow them to ride up and hit the underside of the flywheel. Connect the green wire to the points and the black one to ground, clean and set the points and you should be good to go. I did this conversion on a friends and my 49 QD in 2005 and they still run great today. All this said your coils look pretty good have you tried cleaning the points and checking for spark?

Awesome, 'how' do the coils remove from the heels? Are they glued? The last thing I did yesterday was clean the points, but I haven't installed the flywheel yet. The reason I was gonna change coils is the coating appears to have 'melted' and run down the engine. Any advice on recoating the old coils...??? Thanks for the reply-Craig

Re:10hp QD-11 Coils??? 10 years 3 months ago #95431

If the coils are dripping they are shot. The coils are held on by tabs at the outside edge of the heel just bend them straight and gently convince (I find that clamping the heels in a vice and using a piece of soft wood as a buffet to tap the coils off works) the coils off the heels. The old ones usually come off easier than the new ones but just take care doing it to not damage the new coils. Putting the new ones on is easier!

Re:10hp QD-11 Coils??? 10 years 3 months ago #95476

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
al lockhart wrote:

If the coils are dripping they are shot. The coils are held on by tabs at the outside edge of the heel just bend them straight and gently convince (I find that clamping the heels in a vice and using a piece of soft wood as a buffet to tap the coils off works) the coils off the heels. The old ones usually come off easier than the new ones but just take care doing it to not damage the new coils. Putting the new ones on is easier!

Kool, thanks, I can't wait to try it. I have a 'new' coil that I installed incorrectly, back in the mid 80's, and the heel was tweaked. I never knew why I actually saved it, but it should be perfect for a conversion...I also have several used coils that aren't cracked that might work... I'll report back on results, Thanks again.

Re:10hp QD-11 Coils??? 10 years 3 months ago #95888

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I did a quick conversion, but I don't have new plug wires yet, I had spark in one coil, (the NOS), but not in the used, un-cracked one, I guess I'll get another new one. Something seems to be 'rubbing' when I spin the flywheel. I'll have to double check everything...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7500 guests and no members online