• Page:

TOPIC: The '62 "80 hp" is complete

The '62 "80 hp" is complete 10 years 11 months ago #84693

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Well it's finally done. For clarification I put the '67 80 hp inside the '62 75 hp housing to make it more period specific since the 75 powerhead was bad, compression was about 65 on all four, so it's a spare parts motor for the 80.
Probably not the best paint job on the cowl emblems. Looks good from 10' away or so. ;) That will be a winter project to strip and repaint them. God enough for now though. Now I just have to get it wired up. It runs well. I replaced the points and condenser just because. I'll keep the old ones as spares if needed. Now I just have to get her on the water and tweak the high speed jets with the old tach/dwell meter I have.

Here's the pics.
Here's the inside shot:

Now I just have to see f the current prop will work ok. It came with it but I'm not sure what diameter and pitch it is. I have to look it over again and see if I can find a part number. i also have a PJ76 10 1/8" x 11 but it's beefier than the one that's on it so not sure if it will work or look right. The spinner tip on the current one that's on is smaller then the face diameter of the PJ76. I guess I'll know once I get it on the water and check the rpm's.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:The '62 "80 hp" is complete 10 years 11 months ago #84700

beeeutefull.....

Re:The '62 "80 hp" is complete 10 years 11 months ago #84706

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Looks great,Bob! Makes me want to paint my '65. jim

Re: The '62 "80 hp" is complete 10 years 11 months ago #84707

Waterwings,

WOW. What a downright PURTY engine!

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:The '62 "80 hp" is complete 10 years 11 months ago #84708

Looks great hanging on the boat. Really matches it. Skip.

Re:The '62 "80 hp" is complete 10 years 11 months ago #84711

You may / will find that the carburetor has 2 non adjustable highspeed jets and 2 adjustable lowspeed jets

Re:The '62 "80 hp" is complete 10 years 11 months ago #84712

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Looks good from 10' away or so.

Looks pretty damn good from here also.

Re:The '62 "80 hp" is complete 10 years 11 months ago #84713

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Bob,I see nothing wrong at all with your emblems.I need to touch up the emblems on the Johnson.What did you use, a brush or paint marker?

Re:The '62 "80 hp" is complete 10 years 11 months ago #84724

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wow, thanks guys. Trust me if I took a close up you'd see the flaws.

Proff, thanks, wouldn't be the first time I got those backwards! So I guess the key will be to prop it to keep the RPM's below 4500 max then?

Jim, believe it or not I sprayed them. Lots of tape and a sharp exacto around the letters. Problem is using the 2 part paint and NOT using self etching primer, when I pulled the tape off in a few spots it lifted the paint. Had to use a brush and creatively touch it up in spots.

Bob

Re:The '62 "80 hp" is complete 10 years 11 months ago #84943

Bob - as the Prof said - if it has the correct carb, the hi-jets are fixed. The propeller you have sounds like a small hub prop - and there is nothing wrong with them. I and many others actually prefer the small hub props. OMC sold them in both small and large hub - so either type is fine. Not sure how heavy your boat is - but the stock prop offerings for these motors was VERY limited. 10X9 on the low end - 10X12 on the top end. 10X11 is a very common prop for our old boats. Be sure the engine isn't over propped, as this can cause carbon build up around the rings. If it cant' easily hit 4500 with a light load, it's over propped.

Re:The '62 "80 hp" is complete 10 years 11 months ago #84950

The propshaft spins at a high speed compared to the new motors today.----The thinking at the time was that a pointy lower unit would be fast.
Wrong
I put a 100 HP lower unit on a motor like that and gained 3 MPH 46 to 49 MPH which is quite an improvement. --Much bigger stronger lower unit too.
The small hub prop came out for bigger boats / heavy loads.

Re:The '62 "80 hp" is complete 10 years 11 months ago #84952

Professor - Any chance that you have for sale a shorty drive shaft for the 100 electromatic? I have 4 lowers but none are short. I have acquired the shorty spacer, and I can cut down the water pump tubes. The drive shaft is the only thing holding me up. I'm in Northern Calif.

Re:The '62 "80 hp" is complete 10 years 11 months ago #84954

I have about a dozen of those big 100 HP lower units.----I believe I do have one short lower unit for those 66 to 68 Johnson V-4 motors.--But as stated I am not interested in international shipping--SORRY.---I believe you could have the shaft re-machined into a short one by removing about 4 inches.

Re:The '62 "80 hp" is complete 10 years 11 months ago #84956

I didn't realize that you were in Canada - I thought you were from Missouri.... LOL shows what I know! If I knew exactly what length to cut the shaft down, that would make it easier. I can figure it out though - Thanks anyway - let me know if you would change your mind on the shipping.

Thanks

Re:The '62 "80 hp" is complete 10 years 11 months ago #84965

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the info guys. I'll try the small hub prop first since it's already on there. If it doesn't rev up good I'll try the large hub prop and see what I get.

I had to rebuild the throttle board as it was too narrow for the selectric control. I also have to make an addition to the dash for the ignition/overheat lights, amp meter, and move the switches next to the meter and lights. I didn't want to make any more holes in the dash so I'm making a small add-on for below it. we'll see hot it comes out.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9505 guests and no members online