• Page:

TOPIC: Mounting the 80 hp?

Mounting the 80 hp? 11 years 2 weeks ago #83857

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Ok guys quick question before I hook this beast to the transom.

So if I use the bracket mounts that sandwich this thing and bolt to the transom does it hold ok? The reason i asks is the pins on the motor mount sides aren't very big compared to the holes in the mounting brackets. I know it covers the tabs somewhat so I guess that's good enough as long as I use the top holes and bottom most holes in the brackets?

Also the original bolts and fender washers were aluminum but they are corroded a little near the heads so I don't plan on reusing them. I was thinking stainless, will this be best with the brackish water here? i definitely don't think aluminum will last or zinc covered for that matter but wanted some opinions.

Should I use the aluminum plate that went across the top two bolts on the inside of the transom? I'm thinking it couldn't hurt but if I use the stainless bolts won't there be galvanic corrosion between the plate and bolts?

I plan on mixing up some CPES to apply to the inside of the transom holes then let them cure while on cruise. Once I get back fill them with 4200 and the new bolts and bolt her up to the transom.

Thoughts????

Bob
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Mounting the 80 hp? 11 years 2 weeks ago #83875

Those pins will hold that motor down, no problem at all.-After all they did on the later 125 HP model.----Use stainless bolts to hold the brackets onto the transom.

Re:Mounting the 80 hp? 11 years 2 weeks ago #83888

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Should I use the aluminum plate that went across the top two bolts on the inside of the transom? I'm thinking it couldn't hurt but if I use the stainless bolts won't there be galvanic corrosion between the plate and bolts?

Hi Bob, I opted to use the transom "saver" (aluminum plate) on mine even though it had a new transom - just seemed like a good idea to me. Lots of weight and torque back there, couldn't hurt to spread out the load some.

I too wondered about the issue with S.S. hardware against the aluminum bracket, so I applied a thin film of sealant (4200) to the back sides of the washers and the bolt shafts when installing. Also found out (the hard way) that you need to use a little anti-seize compound on the nuts if you're using S.S. on S.S. If not they tend to gall and the threads will lock the nut onto the bolt requiring them to be cut off. ;)

Mark

Re:Mounting the 80 hp? 11 years 2 weeks ago #83894

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Prof - Thanks just not familiar with this type setup. Everything to this point has been twist clamps. ;) Stainless bolts it is.

Mark - Thanks I'll go with the plate also. Like you said can't hurt. I'll just make sure there's 4200 between everything. Good info on the anti-seize also, never though of that! I'll have to shine the plate up first though, still ugly from the PO.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9152 guests and no members online