TOPIC: Evinrude 33 ski twin more problems

Evinrude 33 ski twin more problems 11 years 2 weeks ago #83719

• Herb
  • Herb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
this motor is wearing me down.

It's nice to have gained what knowledge i have now, but i hope my efforts have not been in vane.

Emptied out the lower unit and finding instead of gear oil, rusty water and gasoline i think. (and not very much of either). I filled it up with fresh oil and took it it down to the lake for a test fire. no go because the fuel pump was toast so i replaced the pump. Fastforward 24hours, I am about to take the boat down to the lake for another attempt to get the rebuilt carb dialed in but before i go i notice a dark spot on the driveway. it looks like some very dirty oil has run out of the....huh? take a look at the pics. any ideas why this happened, if thats my gear oil? am i missing a seal or plate or something there? ive circled in the photo where the oil seems to have leaked from.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Evinrude 33 ski twin more problems 11 years 2 weeks ago #83720

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
spill
Attachments:

Re:Evinrude 33 ski twin more problems 11 years 2 weeks ago #83721

Somehow you need to pressure test the gearcase.----Standard procedure at any outboard shop.

Re:Evinrude 33 ski twin more problems 11 years 2 weeks ago #83724

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
could this possibly be gas from excessive flooding due to improper float setting on teh carb? its breaking down the asphalt last time i took to the lake i flooded it really bad and later that night confirmed float wasn't closing valve to its seat.

also just drained the lower unit, looks like all the oil i put in it was still there!? had an orange/brown color to it

Re:Evinrude 33 ski twin more problems 11 years 2 weeks ago #83725

At this point I would just get it on the lake and get it running at it's best. Once you have it set up and back home drain the LU and see if the fluid is all milky or nice and clear like it should be. If it is milky take it apart and put in a seal kit then try it again. These old motors drip all sorts of weird looking stuff and most of it is of no concern! The flooding can certainly cause the fuel to drain down inside the exhaust casting and drip black stuff. Let us know how it does on the water.

Re:Evinrude 33 ski twin more problems 11 years 2 weeks ago #83726

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Al, will do, need to pick up some more gear oil, but at least draining the lower unit made me a bit happier. lol

hopefully west marine has some, they're the only guys open around here on a sunday.

Re:Evinrude 33 ski twin more problems 11 years 2 weeks ago #83727

Herb Wally World should have it also if you have one. I think most towns do. ;)

Bob

Re:Evinrude 33 ski twin more problems 11 years 2 weeks ago #83730

Herb wrote:

Thanks Al, will do, need to pick up some more gear oil, but at least draining the lower unit made me a bit happier. lol

hopefully west marine has some, they're the only guys open around here on a sunday.

Geeez don't be buying the "marine" lower unit lube at "marine" prices. Go to any store that sells automotive oils etc and just buy SAE 80/90 hypoid gear oil usually 1/2 the price of the marine stuff and if you read the specifications and approval standards you will see that it is the same thing! The only difference is that some of the marine stuff has an anti foaming additive. If you read the manual for your motor it clearly states that any good quality hypoid oil is OK and in a pinch you can use SAE30 non detergent motor oil in the LU, these old ones just ain't too picky.

Re:Evinrude 33 ski twin more problems 11 years 2 weeks ago #83748

That red circle is way above your upper oil plug. There is no lower unit oil that high.

Re:Evinrude 33 ski twin more problems 11 years 2 weeks ago #83753

• Herb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
yes It had to be gas on the ground.

New LU oil in it :)

got it in the water but couldnt get it to idle, this is probably related to the carb rebuild and i'll start a new thread to talk about that.

thanks for your help everyone.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8975 guests and no members online