Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: looking for any info on a gale motor

looking for any info on a gale motor 11 years 3 weeks ago #83187

I bought a sea king sixty motor that was made by gale for montgomery wards. Model # GG8850A,,,serial # 06x796255,,,,, I have googled this and researched for hours and cant find any motors like this or even close. Any info would be great.

Thanks www.fiberglassics.com/components/com_kunena/template/200907_the_lips/images/english/emoticons/w00t.png

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: looking for any info on a gale motor 11 years 3 weeks ago #83189

Fairly common motor.
Basically the same motor as the Johnson / Evinrude V-4 60 HP models of say 1964 / 1965 or so.----Only thing different was the cowling and the colour of the paint.

Re: looking for any info on a gale motor 11 years 3 weeks ago #83191

thanks for the info. So most parts are interchangeable from my sea king to Johnson / Evinrude V-4 60 HP models of say 1964 / 1965?

Re: looking for any info on a gale motor 11 years 3 weeks ago #83194

All parts are the same !

Re: looking for any info on a gale motor 11 years 3 weeks ago #83199

thanks

Re: looking for any info on a gale motor 11 years 3 weeks ago #83209

vividdog,

WELCOME ABOARD.

NICE to have another SEA KING fan here.
(There are several SeaKing fans here on FG.)

Your GG8850A is the same as a Gale V-Sovereign (60HP) and ALMOST the same as an Evinrude Starflite Model 50528 (Rated at 75HP) and the Johnson V4-8-13.
After 1954, the MAJOR differences in the Gale/Sea King & the Evinrude/Johnson is COLOR, TRIM & BADGING.

BTW, NAPA Auto Parts stores sell ALL the parts for your OB under the SIERRA PARTS brand.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: looking for any info on a gale motor 11 years 3 weeks ago #83210

satx thanks for the info... need a few minor parts for this motor its in great condition. Also bought a old tri hull cruiser 18 foot to put it on. Cant wait to get it on the water. (next year) Trying to make sure everything is right before i jump in the water. I am new on fiberglassics but so far i love it!

Thanks agian,

jamie

Re: looking for any info on a gale motor 11 years 3 weeks ago #83449

satx78247 wrote:

Your GG8850A is the same as a Gale V-Sovereign (60HP) and ALMOST the same as an Evinrude Starflite Model 50528 (Rated at 75HP) and the Johnson V4-8-13.

The power head on the 60 is the same displacement (70.7ci) as the original OMC V-4 "fat" 50hp. Gale married that to the new, sleeker lower unit from the new (89.5ci) 75hp. After the Gale unit stopped making outboards, the 60hp moved (back) to the Evinrude/Johnson brands. I think it was rated 65hp in it's final year (1968).
In 1969 all V-4s used new/different designs.

OMC over engineered their designs, and slowly uprated them over the life of a design, BUT they also included improvements along the way.

Re: looking for any info on a gale motor 11 years 3 weeks ago #83452

The 2 cylinder 40 HP and the V-4 motors of the 1960's were just excellent motors.---Far better / more rugged than what some folks think.----Sadly the market today is for " throwaway products " that are made with expensive electronics and plastics.---These new motors are not friendly to repairs in the backyard !!

Re: looking for any info on a gale motor 11 years 3 weeks ago #83458

professor; ALL,

AGREED. =====> The old OMC post-1955 BigTwins and V-4 motors are so grossly OVER-engineered that I've NEVER seen one in 50+ YEARS that was "worn-out in service".
(A cousin of mine once "borrowed" my 1957 Lone Star with 1959 BigTwin once, ran & fished out of it all weekend W/O adding 2-cycle oil to the "nearly empty" 6-gallon tank. = The BigTwin SURVIVED that ABUSE without "apparent damage"!)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9405 guests and no members online