Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: RDE-19 Carb packing/washers

RDE-19 Carb packing/washers 11 years 1 month ago #81909

Rebuilding the RDE19 carb. Got an OMC carb rebuild kit, but need a little help with the washers/packing. The high speed needle had the remains of two black fiber washers but the low speed needle had no washers. It looks like someone's had the needles out at one time. Anyway, I know these kits cover several carbs and I won't need all of the parts, but which of these go in the high speed and which go in the low speed needles? It's an OMC 439075 kit with float. Here's a pic of the selection.

Thanks! Dave
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:RDE-19 Carb packing/washers 11 years 1 month ago #82053

• mfgwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Dave,

It looks like you haven't had a reply yet, so here's my two cents. I am not an expert but I am rebuilding an old OMC carb now also. This is what I have; a Sierra kit for a 1960 40 hp. The packing washers (tan colored) go in both high and low speed, inserting them first and then one of the plastic washers on top of the packing on both high and low speed. My carb had a lot of packing in each speed, and the kit has several new packing washers, so I have installed more than one in each. Again, I don't know, I am working my way through this with only the help of the guys on here.

Mike

Re:RDE-19 Carb packing/washers 11 years 1 month ago #82103

Thanks Mike, I ended up using the two brown washers and a nylon washer in the low speed and two reds and a nylon in the high speed. I was going to do one of each in each side but couldn't get the reds into the high speed. Seems like they were just a hair too large and not flexible enough. My Seloc manual says to put two fiber washers in the low speed and three packing washers into the high speed, but never really explains the difference. So I punted. Both needles seemed to seat fine and have resistance when turned, so we'll see how it goes. Gonna be a few weeks before I'm to the point of firing her up so I'll update later on. Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated!
Dave

Re:RDE-19 Carb packing/washers 11 years 1 month ago #82106

The main function of the packing washers is to keep the needles from turning by themselves.

Re:RDE-19 Carb packing/washers 11 years 1 month ago #82125

• mfgwiz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Your welcome Dave,

The Sierra kit I used had six fiber packing washers, and my carb had a lot of old packing in each so I put three in each with a plastic on top. These are the details I get hung up on due to my lack of experience. I realized that I can't assume that after 53 years no one else has been into this carb and engine

Today I will be setting the points and torquing the flywheel back on; a milestone for me. I have rebuilt the magneto , carb , fuel pump , and have a new impeller to put in.

Good luck with your project. Happy boating!

Mike

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7889 guests and 2 members online