• Page:

TOPIC: A little help please

A little help please 11 years 1 month ago #81475

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I'm putting the wires back on a Johnson 100hp golden meteor and have an extra wire left over (always the case). Looks like a ground wire for something and must be somewhere around the solenoid or starter. It has a natural curve to it and the terminal holes are just large enough to fit on a case or carb cover. Anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks.Cal
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:A little help please 11 years 1 month ago #81484

Starter solenoid control winding to ground?

Re:A little help please 11 years 1 month ago #81486

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Could be, I put a new solenoid on. I would need a picture.

Re:A little help please 11 years 1 month ago #81685

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Still can't find the dern place for that wire...
Another question. Should I hook up the amp meter before I turn it over, will anything happen to the cd box if I don't??

Re:A little help please 11 years 1 month ago #81728

The start relay is grounded via the neutral safety switch, so it's not for the the relay. Is the engine a 1967 or 1968? The 68 had the power pack mounted to an aluminum bracket at the rear of the engine. It had a couple ground wires from the power pack to the frame. Be very careful with the CDI pack - be sure the battery terminals are correctly connected and firmly attached. Any spark or faulty connection when the power is on will likely blow the CDI pack.

Re:A little help please 11 years 1 month ago #81731

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bruce, thanks. It is a 68 with the power pack mounted in the back. I had to remove the pack to replace a cooling hose so I'll check all those bolts. By the looks of the terminals there are marks of lock washer so I'll look for a connection from the pack to the head.

Re:A little help please 11 years 1 month ago #81737

Cal,

By chance, did you have the flywheel off to work on the timer? Also - according to the OMC wiring schematic, there should be a ground jumper from the negative post on the coil to the engine block. This could be where the vire goes - between the negative terminal on the coil - then to one of the screws on the coil clamp. Are the holes the right size? If there is not a ground jumper on the engine - that is likely where it goes. Should be 16 gauge black wire with two eyelets - which describes your part to a "T"

Re:A little help please 11 years 1 month ago #82933

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bruce, No, I did not remove the flywheel. I'm looking at the wiring diagram for a '68 100hp with CD ignition. Just so happens that there is a big grease slug over the area you are talking about, the pulse transformer, is that the "coil" you are talking about? The holes on the large black wire are smaller.
Attachments:

Re:A little help please 11 years 1 month ago #82937

When I was young we had a 1969 115 hp motor. It went i the shop for some repairs under warranty.

When we got the motor back it ran great for about a hr, and then starter to only run at a very low speed.

Well right away my father pulled it out of the water and took it back to the shop. They tested it and it worked great.

Back to the lake and after a while it acted up again.

This went on many times. Then one late afternoon I was out in the boat coming back from fishing and it did it again.

I pulled the cowling off and saw a spark going from the mounting bolt of the Power Pack (PP) and the power pack.

I stuck a screwdriver between the bolt and the PP. I was almost thrown out of the boat for the motor took off.

We took it back to the shop, and told them about what I did.
The owner pull a cowling off of a new motor and then off our and looked back and forth at each.

A short time later he pulled a grounding wire off the new motor and put it on ours. The mec had left it off when he did the work and the owner was not one bit too happy. We got a new set of skies and tow rope for free for our troubles; and the motor ran great after that.

What I remember the PPs are on rubber mounts and must be grounded well

CAVU

Re:A little help please 11 years 1 month ago #82946

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The only parts I removed were the start solenoid to replace it and the power pack so I could get at the shift knife connectors while removing the lower unit to replace the impeller. It's gotta be a ground to the power pack, just have to find where it went to in that area.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Cal

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9615 guests and no members online