• Page:

TOPIC: Starter removal 1963 Evinrude Lark

Starter removal 1963 Evinrude Lark 11 years 2 months ago #80982

• 59Hustler
  • 59Hustler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have searched here and all overthe internet trying to find out how to remove the starter from a 4hp johny rude. I have used Evinrude Johnson and OMC in the search.
Any way after spending several hours on this I still cannot get the starter off.
How do I remove it?
I have removed the nut and ground wires on the bracket as well as the positive lead to the starter. I remove the two bolts going from the bottom of the starter into the bracket and the screw going into the engine off of the bottom bracket however the carburetor is in the way. I removed the 2 bolts holding the top bracket to the engine but there is a third bolt with A 1/2 INCH HEAD securing the bracke to the engine. This bolt is sheilded from the wrench ( and I have just about every type of manifold and end wrench there is) unless I remove the carburetor but the carb seems to be unable to be removed unless the starter is. If this was a 7/16 head I could probably get it.
The only other way I see is to remove the flywheel to gain access. How do I do this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Starter removal 1963 Evinrude Lark 11 years 2 months ago #80991

• 59Hustler
  • 59Hustler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I got it off I had to remove the upper bracket . I used a 1/4 inch drive 1/2 in socket thinned on a grinder with a wobble extension. It came right off. I found that one of the brushes had the wire broken and the commutator is extremely worn. i can probably get this fixed at the motor repair shop in Visalia. Of course I called my brother in Texas and he said he has a 70hp looper I can have. I just need to rebuild the carburetors and it is already sitting on my property along with a boat with a hole in it.
I may be taking a vaction in a week or so!!!:)
By the way what is a looper?

Re:Starter removal 1963 Evinrude Lark 11 years 2 months ago #81001

A " looper " is an engine that has a nearly flat top on the piston and no deflector.
The intake ports are " aimed " to loop the fresh charge in there and to scavenge the cylinder in a better fashion.
That screw at the caruretor usually had a slot for a big screwdriver to remove it, not a problem at all.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7812 guests and 2 members online