• Page:

TOPIC: '67 80 hp stupid question

'67 80 hp stupid question 11 years 2 months ago #79737

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Ok this is going to be a stupid question, just so you know right off the bat. I completely forgot to take a picture of the positive and negative cables from the battery to the power head and can't for the life of me see where the negative cable should connect. I know the positive connects tot he opposite side of the solenoid, from the starter connection but where exactly is the negative suppose to connect? Painted everything so well can't tell where. Can anyone help an old idiot out?

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: '67 80 hp stupid question 11 years 2 months ago #79743

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
It should go to a solid ground on the engine block.

In the following diagram, you'll see a special stud (part #78) that's screwed into the intake transfer port cover of #1 cylinder:

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1967&hp=80&model=V4A-19&manufacturer=Johnson§ion=Powerhead+Group

That's what I remembered it looking like, a 1/4-20 stud with hex for a socket in the middle. The hex tightens up against the cover, like a regular bolt, but you've got the additional threads sticking out.

The diagram also shows a lock washer/star washer. If you use an external star washer on each side of the battery cable "lug", they will dig into the lug and prevent the cable from moving and "unscrewing" itself. OMC uses a lot of star washers on critical connections, and the ones for the battery cable were stainless.

If you can't find the special stud that was used for the negative battery lead, just find a good grounding point within the reach of the cable, with the correct-sized bolt, and lash 'er down. Be sure to clean any paint off the parts you're bolting the cable to, so it'll have a better electrical connection.

HTH............ed

Re:'67 80 hp stupid question 11 years 2 months ago #79763

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Outstanding, thanks Ed. Yep if it was a snake it have bit me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looked all over that darn thing and didn't see it. Went back out and looked where it should have been and found it right away. Part of the reason I missed it the first time was I had a terminal from the internal wiring harness already on there so I didn't see the extra threads sticking out. Painted it too well I guess. ;)

Hopefully I'll be posting some pics soon. Still have to paint the cover but I'll take some shots of the rest.

Thanks again Ed.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9091 guests and no members online