• Page:

TOPIC: releasing stuck piston and rings

releasing stuck piston and rings 11 years 3 months ago #79254

• curse
  • curse's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I just picked this 1960 evinrude lark 40 for $160. It is super clean and not banged up at all and i've been looking for this model for my boat (1960 Slickcraft) for quite awhile now so i bought it.

Unfortunately it will not turn over. Is there a recommended concoction to pour in the cylinders to release pistons and is there a recommended procedure? Or should i just take heads off and see what's going on?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1960 slickcraft catalina
1963 g-w invader ski-bird
1972 g-w invader drag & ski 14
Portage Michigan

Re:releasing stuck piston and rings 11 years 3 months ago #79255

• curse
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I tried posting a pic but it didn't go through...here it is
Attachments:

1960 slickcraft catalina
Portage Michigan

Re:releasing stuck piston and rings 11 years 3 months ago #79282

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I saw a thread on the aomcia forum with same issue and a reply suggested it could be the impeller? or at least thats the first place to check, as they can get hard and give the same problem or symptom with many years just setting. Your going to have to remove the lower unit anyway and will make it easier to free the motor if it is the pistons. I used Gumout carb spray many years ago to free really bad stuck hydrolic lifters to replace them in a V-8, just removed the push rods and sprayed a bit and let it soak for a couple days then started to work it loose with a magnetic pick-up tool and finally they came out then did a oil change. Just a thought? might be better ideas comm'n:)
link to the thread on aomcia; www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1371536674

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:releasing stuck piston and rings 11 years 3 months ago #79283

Step # 1 is to remove the lower unit as it could be rusted solid.
Remove bypass covers to see if it is in fact a ring problem or internal rust on crankshaft.
If it is internal rust it may run again but will soon come to a dynamic halt.--There are precision bearings in there that can not tolerate water / rust !!

Re:releasing stuck piston and rings 11 years 3 months ago #79293

Pop the hood and grab flywheel with both hands. If flywheel moves even a little bit while turning back and forth the problem is in the lower unit. If flywheel is solid it's your upper end (power head) . If power head, spray both sea foam penetrating spray and penetrating oil liberaly in spark plug holes. Raise motor to as horizontal as possible and try rotating flywheel again in a couple days. If upon inspection when removing bypass covers you see any corrosion nothing short of tear down and rebuild will result in a reliable motor. Good luck. As far as lower unit, if power head is without issue and has good compression, then a rebuild of the lower unit involving impeller and all seals will be what is minimaly warranted. Does the prop spin when in neutral?

Re:releasing stuck piston and rings 11 years 3 months ago #79296

I had a mk 55 in about the same shape. in my case it wasent the lower unit, so I sprayed misc wd-40 and others into the cyl and it still wouldnt move, later I took my compression tester and removed the schrader valve out of the bottom and attached it to my compressor @ 90 psi. nothing.....then while talking to a friend it just started moving. I just kept moving it and adding more spray. It later started up and ran, I sold it to a friend that restores old mercs, he replaced the crnk brgs and honed the cyls, it is a running motor today!

Re:releasing stuck piston and rings 11 years 3 months ago #79303

• curse
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Looks like i'll be doing a rebuild.
There is rust and corrosion in crankcase but extent is unknown until i get it further apart. It looks like i can still get most of the parts new which is a relief. I plan on replacing all bearings and piston rings. If crank is ok i'll reuse it, if not i'll replace it. Anything else i should replace while i got it apart?

1960 slickcraft catalina
Portage Michigan

Re:releasing stuck piston and rings 11 years 2 months ago #80691

• Paul
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
You may be money ahead to find a powerhead or whole motor and swap some parts. There are a lot of them around and in my opinion they are almost bullet proof unless they were abused/neglected greatly.

Re:releasing stuck piston and rings 11 years 2 months ago #80746

• curse
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey Paul, i just got a powerhead off ebay this morning. Complete with good compression for $30 plus $30 for shipping. I'll have to check actual compression when i get it.

1960 slickcraft catalina
Portage Michigan
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7841 guests and 2 members online