Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1971 Johnson 125 is it worth messing with?

1971 Johnson 125 is it worth messing with? 11 years 3 months ago #78727

Guys a have a chance to pick one up for $100.00. It supposedly ran when pulled off. It's is rough as the pic's show. Cables and wiring were cut as well but included with it. So what's your thoughts on cleaning this thing up and running it? Model# 125ESL71 It would be used to eventually replace my 850 Merc on my 74' Silverline.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1971 Johnson 125 is it worth messing with? 11 years 3 months ago #78730

A very good motor in its day.
Has an electric shift system that is scoffed at by many folks.
That " Hydro - Electric Shift " system is actually very good and reliable.--The battery powered electronic ignition system is a nightmare of expensive parts as well.----If you have tools / know how / manual ,it might be worthwhile.
If you have to rely on the marine shop you might want to look for another motor.

Re: 1971 Johnson 125 is it worth messing with? 11 years 3 months ago #78735

it would be a "do it myself" project. Same as my 850 Merc after it had sat with the Silverline for 5 years in a barn. Here's a question for you. With my 850 Merc on GPS I top out at @36 MPH anyone have a guess off top speed with the 125? I know it's a lot heavier but my main concern is if I do this will I only gain a few MPH on the top end? If that's the case I don't see it worth the trouble.

Thanks,

SS

Re: 1971 Johnson 125 is it worth messing with? 11 years 3 months ago #78737

In fact it is NOT a lot heavier !--Listed in the catalogue at 252 lbs.-It is also a powerful motor and you will gain in speed,
Used to run a 1970 OMC 115 hp on a light 16' ski boat at 54 MPH.

Re: 1971 Johnson 125 is it worth messing with? 11 years 3 months ago #78738

now that's a response I like! Thanks Pro. I'll keep you guys posted, gonna go look at it tonight on my way home from work.

SS

Re: 1971 Johnson 125 is it worth messing with? 11 years 3 months ago #78743

It looks to have sat in the water on perhaps a patio boat, or some boat that then never tilted the lower unit out of the water. The skeg is missing a few chunks where the engine has bashed int rocks. Be sure it is not a salt water motor. Bolts that look rusty where the heads touch the castings suggests a salt water motor. Also, if the castings have bubbling corroded looking paint adjacent to the head gasket area, it's probably a salt water motor.
Be sure to do a compression check WITHOUT squirting oil into the cylinders beforehand. The check needs to be done on a "dry" cylinder. Compression when new was around 110 lbs per cylinder

Re: 1971 Johnson 125 is it worth messing with? 11 years 3 months ago #78757

too much corrosion for me,I would think its been neglected. a leak down test will tell all on top, i have had fitts with that ign system in the past. ide keep looking

Re:1971 Johnson 125 is it worth messing with? 11 years 3 months ago #78921

Well I picked it up Friday on my way home. Good news is that it's not corrosion but rather someones piss poor paint job on the lower unit that is flaking off. No matter because it's gonna get painted. Other good news is that all the electrical was gone through and replaced about 5 yrs ago for the dates on the parts. Now to get my buddy to weld me up a stand so i can get to work on it. I do need to find an image or picture of the steering cable hook up and I need a throttle cable for it as well.

SS

Re:1971 Johnson 125 is it worth messing with? 11 years 3 months ago #78939

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
You could probably sell that 850 to Dean L. near you, he needs a another restor project :)

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:1971 Johnson 125 is it worth messing with? 11 years 3 months ago #78982

There's nothing wrong with my 850 and it'll be at least next summer before I sell it off.

SS

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9537 guests and no members online