• Page:

TOPIC: 6hp rude, year?

6hp rude, year? 11 years 3 months ago #78582

• g3bill
  • g3bill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi to you guys on the white side:) . I just came upon a 6hp that my uncle did a questionable paint job on, dont think its the correct color. So what i need to try and find is the year to order/find parts if needed. Rod told me where the ser. no. should be but just 2 very small holes:( . Is there another way to find year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re: 6hp rude, year? 11 years 3 months ago #78586

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
There may be a round plug on the block with numbers, see if it's there and post what you find.

If you post some pics, one with the motor hood on and one with it off, we can come close enough to the year that you should be able to order parts.

Not much changed on these except various cowling styles, some differences in driveshaft/gear styles, and switch to electronic ign in the mid-70's.

A lot of the common replacement items cover many years of this model, it's a great little motor, easy to work on. Stone Age but they'll just about run forever!

Now, it is possible to have a later model 6hp but that would be a mid-80's motor, we could tell that right away!

HTH..........ed

Re: 6hp rude, year? 11 years 3 months ago #78595

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Ed for the info. I'll take the pics but always have a hard time uploading on Fiberglassics, never quite got the down sizing of pics nailed and everythings harder with dial-up. Think I can post it on GSG and add the link here maybe tonight. Bill

Added; I looked and found numbers on what looks like a freeze plug? is that what i wanted... 6504R under that was J0013131. Number on carberator is 383661 if that means anything...

ADDED link to 6hp Rude pics on GSG: goldenstateglassics.com/showthread.php?p=30657#post30657

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re: 6hp rude, year? 11 years 3 months ago #78610

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Hi, Bill, 6504R is a 1975 model, good motor! Still has points so it's very reliable and easy to maintain.

These motors don't have a "window" in the side of the exhaust housing for the shift disconnect, but when you drop the lower unit, the stub of the shift shaft is revealed, and you can get at the shift coupler thru the gap between the gearcase and the center section.

There is a newer, upgraded plastic pump kit with stainless inserts available, if you find that the original aluminum pump housing is too far gone.

The upgraded pump kit uses an improved impeller design and it makes these old motors pump water like crazy!

Here are parts diagrams for your motor:

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1975&hp=6&model=6504R

HTH..........ed

Re:6hp rude, year? 11 years 3 months ago #78616

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the link Ed. Doesn't matter much but do you think the J0013131 number is the ser. no. ? I see #26 on that diagram is omitted from the parts list? Think its a o-ring on either side of the propeller shaft, think the one on this motor is pretty shot cause we used silicone to help seal it. Also my uncle said water was draining from where it shouldn't when its lifted out of water? Suppose i should wait till its apart and see whats going on in there...

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:6hp rude, year? 11 years 3 months ago #78617

It is a very good reliable engine that is very easy on gas and easy to work on. For it's size they have good power. I made this video of mine when I went to sell it. Man said the video sold it. It was on Craiglist for a half hour. This was the original color I believe on the powerhead. Maybe early 70's. Can't remember.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9512 guests and no members online