Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: do i rebuild it or not..

do i rebuild it or not.. 11 years 3 months ago #78490

i was just given a room full of motors that my dad and older brother had,,must be 15 motors down there..some i had used as a kid..first one i went to get is a 1960 5.5 hp johnson..turns out it froze up sitting down there..so we pulled it apart today,, down to nothing and it was just gunked up on the lower crank main..come to find out they have no bearings...just built in bushings...so now im at a point of.. is it worth it to get a set of rings and a gasket kit and rebuild it..or part it out????? but i know i will have my hands filled with all these projects..i want to see as many of them as i can run again..but at what point is it not worth the money or time.. other motors are a red 57? 35hp johnson short,tiller..a gold and white 58? 35hp johnson long shaft..2 1958 22hp scott atwaters..a white merc 500 short shaft. 2 mercury KG7's..a martin 6.5 or 7.5 a late 40's or 50's 7.5 evinrude,, 1958 johnson 50hp long shaft.. fat 50...12 hp wizard power matic..i always loved this motor as a kid.. it will get restored to new..a 12 hp elgin..a waterwitch 30's or 40's..cant remember what the rest were..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: do i rebuild it or not.. 11 years 3 months ago #78494

vintagerunner,

WELCOME ABOARD.

I know, out there somewhere, that there must be a worn-out OMC twin but I've never SEEN one. - Before I did anything else, I would disassemble the OBs & thoroughly detail clean them, re-lubricate all the moving parts & re-assemble them.
(ImVho, you should also replace ALL of the wiring, points, plugs, condensers & coils, regardless of how they look. - NAPA stores sell the parts as SIERRA PARTS.)
I've NOT known an OMC that that didn't take care of, unless it had been run w/o oil or been underwater.
(The OLD BIG-TWINS & the little ones too are grossly OVER-ENGINEERED.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: do i rebuild it or not.. 11 years 3 months ago #78498

The Wizard and the Merc KG7's are great little motors to play with. May be a bit costly to get going however worth it. The Omc are Great motors and easy fix

You may want to join the AOMCI forum (Antique Outboard Motor Club Inc)ask a member for help. It is free and later if you want to join a local chapter you will be greatly welcomed

www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

CAVU
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9519 guests and no members online