Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: carb rebuild

carb rebuild 11 years 4 months ago #77817

1961 Johnson V-4 75hp. I ran the motor last year after swapping it into a fat fifty cowling. The motor has great mid and top end but the idle is rough and sporadic at times. When adjusting the low speed screws I found them to have little or no friction when turning. After looking at parts schematic I noticed a packing nut with a rubber or fiber o-ring sandwiched between two plastic washers. Upon inspection I noticed they were dry and cracked. My question is do I absolutely need an entire rebuild kit or can I put viton o-rings, right size of course, in there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:carb rebuild 11 years 4 months ago #77819

You can buy the O ring...Now for me to find where I filed the Grainger, or NAPA part #...I will find it soon...brain fart

CAVU

Re:carb rebuild 11 years 4 months ago #77822

Thanks, mine came out in pieces, makes it harder but not impossible to match up.

Re:carb rebuild 11 years 4 months ago #77824

CAVU

Re:carb rebuild 11 years 4 months ago #77826

Excellent, thanks.

Re:carb rebuild 11 years 4 months ago #77846

I tracked some down at a local marine mechanic. The guy is a bit odd, one time he wants only part numbers or he can't help. Other times he only wants to know year make and h.p. Anyways, I installed the new packing o-rings and now have decent turning friction and better sealing. I also found a cracked plug wire and replaced it. I put the gas tank in with last years pre-mix (my bad), installed he battery, filled the large Rubbermaid trash can with water. A short turn of the key and she was running. I brought her up to temp and first adjusted the auto choke then played with the low speed screws till she was idling smooth as silk. I can't wait till this Memorial Day weekend to parade her around the lake. Thanks again for the help.

Re:carb rebuild 11 years 4 months ago #77847

I tracked some down at a local marine mechanic. The guy is a bit odd, one time he wants only part numbers or he can't help. Other times he only wants to know year make and h.p. Anyways, I installed the new packing o-rings and now have decent turning friction and better sealing. I also found a cracked plug wire and replaced it. I put the gas tank in with last years pre-mix (my bad), installed he battery, filled the large Rubbermaid trash can with water. A short turn of the key and she was running. I brought her up to temp and first adjusted the auto choke then played with the low speed screws till she was idling smooth as silk. I can't wait till this Memorial Day weekend to parade her around the lake. Thanks again for the help.

Re:carb rebuild 11 years 4 months ago #77852

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Congrads on the rebuild! Don't you feel like you just tackeled the world when she starts up. I just rebuilt mine, and I am hoping for the same positive results this Memorial Weekend.

Regards,
StevieB

Re:carb rebuild 11 years 4 months ago #77853

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
This here.."Anyways, I installed the new packing o-rings and now have decent turning friction and better sealing".

Thats all it amounts too...all ya want to do is seal any air intake by passing the screws, plus hold friction..(should be a outside "packing nut, that any idle jet screws into..there)

Been there, done that..Good luck!

Re:carb rebuild 11 years 4 months ago #77907

I hear ya, it's almost an addiction, hearing an old motor roar to life after either being a half century old or not having been run in "who knows how long". Then the moment of truth, slipping into the water, hearing her fire, and then throttling up and bringing her on plane. Excuse me, I need a cigarette.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9507 guests and no members online