Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Using another motor's transom bracket for a motor

Using another motor's transom bracket for a motor 11 years 4 months ago #77654

I have a 1961 Crestliner Mustang 14 with its original Johnson 40 hp. This motor has cable steering (which I want to save if possible) and it has a "clamp to transom" bracket rather than the "bolt to transom" bracket. The motor is no good at all because dad gave the boat to me a couple of years ago and he had nothing but trouble with it for years and years. I'm wanting to keep the original motor look and I've found a low houred 1979 Evinrude 55 2 cylinder short shaft which will be perfect for the lightweight, short transom boat. But if I want to keep the original motor look and keep my cable steering (to keep the original vintage steering wheel) AND keep from drilling holes in my transom, does anyone know if I can use the "clamp to transom" bracket off the old motor? And does anyone know if I can use the lower cowling off the old motor so I can save my cable steering and be able to use my old cowling for the original motor look? I know having the old motor rebuilt may sound like the simplest thing to do here but I was wanting to boost the horsepower a little and start with a newer motor than what it had too. Will it work to take that pin out of the "clamp to transom" bracket so the newer motor can be put on that bracket?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Using another motor's transom bracket for a motor 11 years 4 months ago #77682

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Several folks have pulled off successful cowling swaps disguising newer outboards as vintage, but if it were me I'd keep the newer "bolt on" transom bracket assy. on the motor! I know you don't embellish the idea of putting holes in your transom, but IMHO it would be a lot safer and more secure. (Also a lot less re-engineering, I don't believe it's going to be as simple as pulling a pin and swapping them out.)

I believe the newer motor could easily be converted to the cable steering, I'm sure the gang would be glad to help you out with some advise if you'd post a couple pics of what you're working on. ;)

Mark

Re:Using another motor's transom bracket for a motor 11 years 4 months ago #77684

I'm not sure that it makes a lot of difference but the 55hp is almost 50 lbs heavier than the 40hp. I can't see how the transom bracket could be adapted but you might be able to rig up a bracket to the steering connection that would allow you to connect the springs and pulleys that could make the cable steering work for you. Best bet is to bolt on the 55 as designed. I also can't see the hood being able to adapt as they are drastically different shapes and sizes. My thought would be to sell the 55 and use the proceeds to buy a really nice 61 40hp there are a lot of them out there and a lot easier for the hobbyist to work on.
Al

Re:Using another motor's transom bracket for a motor 11 years 4 months ago #77687

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I concur with Al from the North Country. A 61 is the way to go.

Regards,
StevieB

Re:Using another motor's transom bracket for a motor 11 years 4 months ago #77688

Short of being seized up, everything is available for the old '40', those are great motors. When checking local classified ads, I don't give all those 45's 55's or 60's a second look, I've now got about a dozen of those old 'BigTwins', (25 to 40hp), newest being a '63. The biggest problem with running, is usually the primer bulb on the fuel line... I've actually known people to rebuild the entire motor, and then realize it was a $10. primer bulb... or get frustrated and sell/trash the motor...

Re:Using another motor's transom bracket for a motor 11 years 4 months ago #77704

The transom brackets are very different from each other and will not interchange. If your dad had lots of problems with the old engine it was not because of faulty design. The old OMC (johnson - Evinrude) engines are very rugged and reliable if they are properly treated and maintained. All motors must be properly maintained, and most will eventually develop issues that have to be corrected. These engines are easy to find and to maintain - if you have mechanical skills. The newer 2 cylinder OMC engines are very good engines. But keep in mind that a motor from 1979 is 34 years old - hardly new by any standard. If the 40 on the boat is a pile of junk - get another one - they are very easy to find. Just remember that these old engines will need some work to be put back into reliable service.

If you have already purchased the 1979 engine, and it's a good runner, it probably would be a good upgrade from the old "40". The 79 engine is "loop charged" which means it makes more horsepower than the old engine - while using LESS gasoline. I can promise you that the boat will be faster, handle better, and use less fuel with the newer engine on it. Don't worry about drilling the transom for the bracket - just use plenty of caulking on the holes to keep water out. The old "clamp on" motors were never a good idea for motors above 25 horsepower. The "clamp on" motors sometimes fall off transoms. It's way more common than you might think. The "bolt on" motor is far safer. You can make the old rope & pulley steering work with the new motor - or better yet - upgrade to a modern and far safer push-pull cable system of steering. I can show you how to keep your original steering wheel so it looks original.

Re:Using another motor's transom bracket for a motor 11 years 4 months ago #77809

I recently seen a 1972 Evinrude 50 hp with a clamp on bracket. Does anyone know if it's bracket could be put on my 1979 Evinrude 55 hp? The lower cowlings look the exact same as far as I can tell and so does the lower units. I'm thinking I will still use the clamp on bracket because dad isn't crazy about the drilling holes idea even though we may consider it later. It sounds like I can make a bracket for the cable steering. I've done modifying all of my life to everything I own (seems like anyways) so that shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone know if the brackets can be swapped out on these two motors?...like around a 72' 50 hp Evinrude and the 79' 55 hp Evinrude?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9612 guests and no members online