• Page:

TOPIC: Early Evinrude Fleetwin info?

Early Evinrude Fleetwin info? 11 years 5 months ago #76753

• Normspeed
  • Normspeed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Looking for a source of general info on this motor. My son picked it up at a moving sale some years back and it's been sitting in his garage ever since. It's a Fleetwin without the forward/reverse shifter. To reverse, you spin the motor 180 degrees. Has a clutch knob on the top to go from neutral to forward. Gas tank is integrated into the top cover. This motor appears to have little use on it. Still sitting on the original stand. Excellent compression, but the plug wires have come loose from the coils and the coils themselves, viewed through an aperture in the flyweheel, look badly aged. The only missing parts are the side covers. When my son first got the motor he took the covers off and put them on his workbench. His wife tidied up the garage for him and the side covers were never seen again. :S

We would love to get this old gal running, so I'm wondering if things like the spark coils are available anywhere. Also wondering what year it is. I know it's pre-1955 because info on the 55 models shows a F-N-R shifter on the side. No pics of the motor yet, just the serial number plate.

Edit: I checked the info on the forum and found that this is probably around a 1951 model. By 1954 they had a full F-N-R transmission. I'd still appreciate any info about the motors and parts sources, especially the side covers and spark coils. Also wondering, were the coils and plug wires constructed as a unit, or can we maybe pull the flywheel and attach new plug wires to the old coils?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Early Evinrude Fleetwin info? 11 years 5 months ago #76765

I believe it's a '52 judging by the s/n.

Re: Early Evinrude Fleetwin info? 11 years 5 months ago #76767

A 443 is a 1952-52 7.5 hp. It uses a 16 to 1 oil mix, however you can get by with a 24 to 1 mix. It does not have bearings on the rods

The coils need to be replaced. The old ones cracked and if they are good they will soon (VERY SOON) short out. You can buy them at your local NAPA.

You can get time cheaper on line, however Sierra (NAPA) parts has a life time warranty, and just have one go out you lost what you saved

The plug wire and ends you can buy by the foot. It is 7mm solid copper cord wire (get the stranded over just one wire). The wire just plugs into the coil.

www.go2marine.com/product/95455F/ignition-coil-18-5163.html

You may be able to find the side covers on the AOMCI Webvertize. Just post a WTB ad ...it's free. Great motor. I have one that I enjoy much,

www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=Webvertize

CAVU

Re:Early Evinrude Fleetwin info? 11 years 5 months ago #76780

• Normspeed
  • Normspeed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks guys. Just the info I needed. Wow, 16:1, I would never have guessed that. My son and I will be doing the repair project together. Once before we took a stab at pulling the flywheel but without a correct puller. We decided to back off because we didn't want to strip out the 3 threaded holes around the center shaft. I have a wider selection of pullers now, so hopefully we'll get the flywheel off without incident.

Re:Early Evinrude Fleetwin info? 11 years 5 months ago #76802

www.old-omc.de has brochures and a serial number decipher chart. Great source for information on OMC motors.

www.aomci.org is a great source. There are local chapters all over North America. Go to some of the activities and get to know other old outboard enthusiasts.

Appropriate replacement decals and paints can be obtained at several places.

Andreas

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9497 guests and no members online